Fear.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Fear.

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that motorists vary with where you are in the country. Around here there is very little problem with ordinary motorists. The only consistent close passes seem to come from scruffy small white vans. The worst places I have experienced are semi urban places in North Wales, Cheshire and Lancashire, Transits and gas guzzler 4WDs. But, I havent cycled everywhere.

Al

I cycle extensively in Cheshire and Lancashire and IME it's predominantly German prestige cars(Merc,Audi,BMW) that give the most grief with close passing,with SUV/4×4's second small h/backs and the odd usually scruffy van in third place.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that motorists vary with where you are in the country. Around here there is very little problem with ordinary motorists. The only consistent close passes seem to come from scruffy small white vans. The worst places I have experienced are semi urban places in North Wales, Cheshire and Lancashire, Transits and gas guzzler 4WDs. But, I havent cycled everywhere.

Al

I cycle extensively in Cheshire and Lancashire and IME it's predominantly German prestige cars(Merc,Audi,BMW) that give the most grief with close passing,with SUV/4×4's second small h/backs and the odd usually scruffy van in third place.

Getting past the horrible queues of traffic on Slag Lane this morning (around 8:45, worst I've seen it, I think there had been a crash on the East Lancs).

No close passes as the motor traffic wasn't moving much. I did note that of the vehicles that obviously had seen me & edged across to give me more space as I filtered by they included a large white Audi & several white vans.

No noticeably close passes coming back that way around 5:15pm even though the traffic was actually moving.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If one observes for example at a STOP sign 'protecting' a cycle way (do try it!) one finds that nearly all drivers ignore the law, they can not read, -99

Even policepersons can not read :(
'Sports' & 'prestige' vehicles are particularly bad, but I believe there is no vehicle/driver type that generally obeys the law
I should like to believe that female drivers are better, but I have no evidence for this :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:Getting past the horrible queues of traffic on Slag Lane this morning (around 8:45, worst I've seen it, I think there had been a crash on the East Lancs).

No close passes as the motor traffic wasn't moving much. I did note that of the vehicles that obviously had seen me & edged across to give me more space as I filtered by they included a large white Audi & several white vans.

No noticeably close passes coming back that way around 5:15pm even though the traffic was actually moving.

In slow moving tail backs I find most motorists quite obliging and as you say will move to the left when/if they see me approaching in there RVM.

Yesterday at 11am on Slag lane on the straight stretch just before Byrom Lane heading toward the swing bridge,an SUV overtook me with plenty room followed by a 30cm punishment pass from a white C or E class Merc,complete with gesticulations,there was nothing coming the other way and absolutely no reason his actions.

At 3pm on my way home in the opposite direction on Slag Lane on the bend on what used to be a railway bridge just before Garton Drive,a Nissan Xtrail passed me so close I had to fend it off with my hand(read I slapped his rear door).
Slag Lane is a notorious stretch of road for close passes IME,it makes me very nervous at times,my SinL who rides it every day to and from work has started to ride it on the pavement he's had so many close shaves.

What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,and they weild their might as if they have the right because they know there's very little chance of any kind of recriminations.
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

reohn2 wrote:What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,

And therin lies the real problem. As long as these people tailor their behaviour according to their stereotype-driven bigoted attitude the situation will not improve. It is people doing wrong to people.
If the perp displays anti-cyclist attitudes and has been seen to use his vehicle in a reckless manner it should be looked upon by the law as severely as if a skinhead walking along a main road in South London was pushing every Asian he comes across into the road.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,

And therin lies the real problem. As long as these people tailor their behaviour according to their stereotype-driven bigoted attitude the situation will not improve. It is people doing wrong to people.
If the perp displays anti-cyclist attitudes and has been seen to use his vehicle in a reckless manner it should be looked upon by the law as severely as if a skinhead walking along a main road in South London was pushing every Asian he comes across into the road.

I can't argue with any of that,if only the non existant police force were capable of upholding the law we may as cyclists be regarded as equal road users.
W H Auden