Fear.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Fear.

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jan 2019, 11:34pm

al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that motorists vary with where you are in the country. Around here there is very little problem with ordinary motorists. The only consistent close passes seem to come from scruffy small white vans. The worst places I have experienced are semi urban places in North Wales, Cheshire and Lancashire, Transits and gas guzzler 4WDs. But, I havent cycled everywhere.

Al

I cycle extensively in Cheshire and Lancashire and IME it's predominantly German prestige cars(Merc,Audi,BMW) that give the most grief with close passing,with SUV/4×4's second small h/backs and the odd usually scruffy van in third place.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4291
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Fear.

Postby RickH » 16 Jan 2019, 12:17am

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that motorists vary with where you are in the country. Around here there is very little problem with ordinary motorists. The only consistent close passes seem to come from scruffy small white vans. The worst places I have experienced are semi urban places in North Wales, Cheshire and Lancashire, Transits and gas guzzler 4WDs. But, I havent cycled everywhere.

Al

I cycle extensively in Cheshire and Lancashire and IME it's predominantly German prestige cars(Merc,Audi,BMW) that give the most grief with close passing,with SUV/4×4's second small h/backs and the odd usually scruffy van in third place.

Getting past the horrible queues of traffic on Slag Lane this morning (around 8:45, worst I've seen it, I think there had been a crash on the East Lancs).

No close passes as the motor traffic wasn't moving much. I did note that of the vehicles that obviously had seen me & edged across to give me more space as I filtered by they included a large white Audi & several white vans.

No noticeably close passes coming back that way around 5:15pm even though the traffic was actually moving.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Fear.

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Jan 2019, 3:56am

If one observes for example at a STOP sign 'protecting' a cycle way (do try it!) one finds that nearly all drivers ignore the law, they can not read, -99

Even policepersons can not read :(
..
'Sports' & 'prestige' vehicles are particularly bad, but I believe there is no vehicle/driver type that generally obeys the law
I should like to believe that female drivers are better, but I have no evidence for this :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Fear.

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jan 2019, 11:49am

RickH wrote:Getting past the horrible queues of traffic on Slag Lane this morning (around 8:45, worst I've seen it, I think there had been a crash on the East Lancs).

No close passes as the motor traffic wasn't moving much. I did note that of the vehicles that obviously had seen me & edged across to give me more space as I filtered by they included a large white Audi & several white vans.

No noticeably close passes coming back that way around 5:15pm even though the traffic was actually moving.

In slow moving tail backs I find most motorists quite obliging and as you say will move to the left when/if they see me approaching in there RVM.

Yesterday at 11am on Slag lane on the straight stretch just before Byrom Lane heading toward the swing bridge,an SUV overtook me with plenty room followed by a 30cm punishment pass from a white C or E class Merc,complete with gesticulations,there was nothing coming the other way and absolutely no reason his actions.

At 3pm on my way home in the opposite direction on Slag Lane on the bend on what used to be a railway bridge just before Garton Drive,a Nissan Xtrail passed me so close I had to fend it off with my hand(read I slapped his rear door).
Slag Lane is a notorious stretch of road for close passes IME,it makes me very nervous at times,my SinL who rides it every day to and from work has started to ride it on the pavement he's had so many close shaves.

What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,and they weild their might as if they have the right because they know there's very little chance of any kind of recriminations.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

peetee
Posts: 1247
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Fear.

Postby peetee » 16 Jan 2019, 1:44pm

reohn2 wrote:What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,


And therin lies the real problem. As long as these people tailor their behaviour according to their stereotype-driven bigoted attitude the situation will not improve. It is people doing wrong to people.
If the perp displays anti-cyclist attitudes and has been seen to use his vehicle in a reckless manner it should be looked upon by the law as severely as if a skinhead walking along a main road in South London was pushing every Asian he comes across into the road.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Fear.

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jan 2019, 1:48pm

peetee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What the moronic drivers don't realise is that one mistake by either party in their moronic games can lead to the cyclist being hospitalised or worse,


And therin lies the real problem. As long as these people tailor their behaviour according to their stereotype-driven bigoted attitude the situation will not improve. It is people doing wrong to people.
If the perp displays anti-cyclist attitudes and has been seen to use his vehicle in a reckless manner it should be looked upon by the law as severely as if a skinhead walking along a main road in South London was pushing every Asian he comes across into the road.

I can't argue with any of that,if only the non existant police force were capable of upholding the law we may as cyclists be regarded as equal road users.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.