Salisbury plain

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Graham

Re: Salisbury plain

Post by Graham »

Thanks for the route suggestion.

In general, I'm hoping that this inspiration will lever me out of this winter inertia.

My OS paper maps will probably cover most of the area, but I'm wondering if there is some electronic geegaw that would permit me to use :-
cycle.travel/map
AND
OS maps

without having to charge the device every day ?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Another vote for the Wylye and Avon valleys. The "lost village" of Imber is also worth a visit if you pick the one or two weekends a year when the army aren't training there (generally August bank holiday, I think) -- be sure to go in the medieval church if you get the chance.

Book tip
'The village that died for England'
Have not read it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

basingstoke123 wrote:I realise that this is not quite Salisbury Plain, but slightly east (and north of Andover).

We all know that the Roman's built nice straight roads. Not always! Here is a half circle Roman road, 4 miles long, Chute Causeway. Once you get up there, the road is flat. In the middle are some step descents - ideal for ambushes.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.32 ... e0!5m1!1e4

I find this area fascinating, even if no one else does.

Fortunately Locke built the LSWR through Micheldever almost as straight as a roman road
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Just going over the brilliant route suggestions so thank you to everyone for their input. It really emphasises what a cracking forum this is and the knowledge of the contributors. Also seems there are very few trolls which I have seen on some travel websites and are a pain in the rear. Not a great adventure but a great sketching few days away.