I set off.....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
charliepolecat

Re: I set off.....

Post by charliepolecat »

Does anyone else suffer from posts disappearing?

I've had several that have appeared on the screen and then later disappeared - including posts by others to which I have responded. Are there dark forces at work here?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Your posts may have gone to the hidden forum board. No dark forces involved, just the moderators.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Your posts may have gone to the hidden forum board. No dark forces involved, just the moderators.

If one cares, how does one view the 'hidden forum board'? I'm wondering if deleting posts that are innocuous is all arbitrary on the part of a 'moderator'.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

charliepolecat wrote:Does anyone else suffer from posts disappearing?

I've had several that have appeared on the screen and then later disappeared - including posts by others to which I have responded. Are there dark forces at work here?

I had one the same day as yours disapear, nothing contentious in it, just a sort of update. It's not the first time it's happened to me, one was removed for using the word [FFE] when describing the er 's' on the road! It's one thing to remove expletives but clearly someone needs to look at the auto software and perhaps the post removal process, maybe a second opinion?

This post will no doubt be pulled!
Last edited by Graham on 27 Jan 2019, 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: FFE . . .family-friendly edit
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Clearly there are dark forces at work in the shape of an automatic deletion processes. In the past when I have commented to the 'moderator' that my post had been deleted and asked why, the standard form sent to me was that there had been no deletion and it must have been my fault for not hitting the 'submit' icon, I now know that this was untrue because on the two occasions I did comment, the form response was identical.

I only joined the forum because of my interest in riding LeJog, so now that I have gleaned all I can from the excellent information provided by some of the contributors, I am not interested in remaining on a forum that lies to its members and uses non-human moderation techniques.
RickH

Post by RickH »

charliepolecat wrote:Clearly there are dark forces at work in the shape of an automatic deletion processes. In the past when I have commented to the 'moderator' that my post had been deleted and asked why, the standard form sent to me was that there had been no deletion and it must have been my fault for not hitting the 'submit' icon, I now know that this was untrue because on the two occasions I did comment, the form response was identical.

I only joined the forum because of my interest in riding LeJog, so now that I have gleaned all I can from the excellent information provided by some of the contributors, I am not interested in remaining on a forum that lies to its members and uses non-human moderation techniques.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't any "non-human moderation", apart from the automatic removal of some words by the (albeit slightly quirky) system in an attempt to keep the language family friendly.

Posts can get lost for other reasons - a system problem at the server end can result in a small number falling down the cracks (they haven't got backed up before a crash/update/reset & reboot), or a user error - such as where you fail to notice that you were looking at the preview & not the final post before clicking elsewhere (I've done that more than once).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

charliepolecat wrote:Clearly there are dark forces at work in the shape of an automatic deletion processes. In the past when I have commented to the 'moderator' that my post had been deleted and asked why, the standard form sent to me was that there had been no deletion and it must have been my fault for not hitting the 'submit' icon, I now know that this was untrue because on the two occasions I did comment, the form response was identical.

The only place that there is any automatic deletion is on the small ads sub forums, where anything without activity after 30 days is auto-deleted.

Other than that and the swear filter, moderation is done by (human) volunteers. As far as I know, none of the moderators would remove something unless it either violated forum guidelines, or was a direct response to a post that violated forum guidelines.

It is possible, as above that a server problem could cause the occasional post to disappear, though I would think that would be unusual. It's also possible that a moderator has made an error, and not realised it.

We do not have any standard forms, except for those generated by submission of an email, registration, and post approval / disapproval. We do have a log of things like deleted posts, so a moderator can see whether a post was deleted. We cannot, however see if a submitted post actually registered on the server. So if you submitted something that wasn't posted because of server or connectivity issues, we would not have any way to know that. Similarly, a server glitch that caused a post to be deleted would simply not have a record in the database, and we wouldn't have any way to know. It must be a very small number that happens with, though.

What usually happens to me is that I simply forget to submit my post, and go on to do something else, then can't find it later. :oops:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham

Post by Graham »

Vorpal wrote:What usually happens to me is that I simply forget to submit my post, and go on to do something else, then can't find it later. :oops:

Praise the Loooord for the browser back-arrow. Where has that new post gone ? I'm sure that I . . . .
Back
Back
Back
Back
< Now click the SUBMIT button this time. >
Phew !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From snow drift to thread drift. Does this set a record?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's also possible to see your post displayed in the review box and assume it has been posted, but it hasn't. This happens when someone else posts in between you clicking Reply and and Submit.