I set off.....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

I set off.....

Post by foxyrider »

The forecast looked okay for a ride today so I set off prepared for the cold and maybe a few flakes of snow in the edges. Five miles later i'm in a blizzard!

DSCN0300.JPG

Should I abort and go home or push on? Sense would say turn around but sometimes the heart overules the head and so I pressed on.

Thirty minutes later i'm in Chatsworth Park watching the deer, the sun is threatening to make an appearance and of snow, not a hint!
DSCN0305.JPG

In fact after a couple of miles of snowiness, the next fifty miles were dry and even bright, no sign of whiteness!

So would you keep going? Or take the sensible option?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Marcus Aurelius

Re: I set off.....

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

#5 #9. Press on, unless the weather is obviously deteriorating to the point where the risks far outweigh the advantages. A single fall sustained whilst trying to be a hero at this time of year, is going to end up potentially compromising your ability to enjoy the ride when the weather is more clement.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm pleased to see that your determination to continue looks to have been rewarded. :D And something to reminisce about when snow in the UK is a distant memory.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The white stuff here in the South Chilterns too, almost unheard of. And Dartmoor too so Im told.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Well done and nice piccies!

I feel such a wimp as today I turned back after 3km when icy rain started but I have a bad chest for weeks now.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We set off in dry conditions, some shower clouds were clearly around us... but we pressed on as we have been lucky and missed showers before. 4 miles on the hail started, turned to sleety rain.... and wet snow.... sky remained threateningly dark with ovious further precipitation... we had pressed on for another 2.5 miles but decided to turn back.... Completed the journey by vehicle and enjoyed the scenically pretty snow clinging on to the trees and wondered at those who buy 4x4's and then drive at 20mph on a straight road with minimal amount of snow.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

foxyrider wrote:

I would check the precipitation radar and make a decision based on that!
http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

In these upland areas that doesn't help greatly, it looked exactly the same in and out of the band of snow. It's like that all the time here, I get different weather each side of the flat FHS! It really can be a lottery.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

foxyrider wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

In these upland areas that doesn't help greatly, it looked exactly the same in and out of the band of snow. It's like that all the time here, I get different weather each side of the flat FHS! It really can be a lottery.

Well N.Wales has a little upland!!
And I find it quite a useful guide as to what the weather has in store.
Obviously showers (in this unstable NW airflow)will kick up depending on topography but the trend is a help. IMHO
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I was not very impressed yesterday, bit of Surrey Hill, some snow flakes that fell determinedly but did not settle, then a ride home where I got oil from the road all up my jacket due to the water on the road.

Note to self: do not go out on bike with no mudguards when precipitation is forecast.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Height makes a lot of difference, I presume the 1st picture was up on the moor?

I been out in the Vale of Belvoir with everything ok, and then climbed up onto the ridge (only a difference of 200 feet) and everything was white over with lying snow.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have the opposite problem here in the valley.

Outside yesterday at +5degC but at the top of the hill is was only +1degC.
Sometimes, it's the other way round, so I rarely know what to wear when I go out cycling, or if it's even worth it!

There's snow up on Dartmoor, but +8degC out here now.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

For winter riding I watch the weather forecast and if it is going to be raining, I stay in, if it's going to be below 40 F, I stay in, if the wind is going to be more than 15 MPH, I stay in. No problem with going out and having to turn back in those cases.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Mick F wrote:Sometimes, it's the other way round, so I rarely know what to wear when I go out cycling, or if it's even worth it!

Personally I think it's always worth wearing something when I go cycling, if only to protect the innocent.

We had our first proper snow covering last night. I'm fortunate enough to work on a well-ploughed route, so normally the only things that stop me cycling there are high winds and having left my front light half way across the county. :oops: For other journeys I'm slightly more picky.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mjr

Post by mjr »

charliepolecat wrote:For winter riding I watch the weather forecast and if it is going to be raining, I stay in, if it's going to be below 40 F, I stay in, if the wind is going to be more than 15 MPH, I stay in. No problem with going out and having to turn back in those cases.

Blimey. Anyone who you're meeting for anything (work, medicine, cinema...) must love you in winter!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.