Nasty section B3013

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
maxglide

Nasty section B3013

Post by maxglide »

Anyone had the displeasure? --
5 miles SW of Bracknell, heading south on the B3013, from the Minley Rd roundabout (below A30) to 300m south of the M3. It's all of 2 miles with the nasty bit only 1.5 miles, but, it's a narrow, winding, fast B road, with no overtaking opportunities, and providing rage-bait for the homicidal car driver. After braving it thrice, I've rerouted to the west via Yateley.
pwa

Re: Nasty section B3013

Post by pwa »

maxglide wrote:Anyone had the displeasure? --
5 miles SW of Bracknell, heading south on the B3013, from the Minley Rd roundabout (below A30) to 300m south of the M3. It's all of 2 miles with the nasty bit only 1.5 miles, but, it's a narrow, winding, fast B road, with no overtaking opportunities, and providing rage-bait for the homicidal car driver. After braving it thrice, I've rerouted to the west via Yateley.

Narrow, winding, fast. Three things that you don't want together. Any of the three, on their own, are okay, but together, yes, avoid if you can. Is the detour long and inconvenient?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

And put the blame where it lies. It's the motorist that's nasty, not the road :wink:
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

I used it at the start of my January 100 mile ride, and last year for the same in June. On both occasions it would have been about 0630hrs on a Sunday morning, and no issues with traffic. There are nicer routes out that way when it's not a quiet weekend morning..
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I used to use it, but it’s gone full on mental in recent years, so any routes around that way go the ‘twisty back road route’ instead, it adds a few miles, but you’re not taking your life in your hands.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I used to use it, but it’s gone full on mental in recent years, so any routes around that way go the ‘twisty back road route’ instead, it adds a few miles, but you’re not taking your life in your hands.

Or their hands
How can it be narrow + winding + fast? Is the maximum speed limit too high?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Or their hands
How can it be narrow + winding + fast? Is the maximum speed limit too high?

It’s more the fact that there are a lot of heavies using it, and they don’t have to be going flat out to cause a brown trouser moment.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Is the detour long and inconvenient?

Not a bit, it's only 0.3 miles more, and a pleasanter ride.

After Crowthorne, W on Longdown Rd, then meander SW to Blackbushe Airport > St Stephen's Green > A323. The 400m on the A323 are ok as there's a decent hard shoulder. Then W on Pale Lane.

I used to go down the B3013 because https://cycle.travel/map routed me there. I no longer follow c.t/m blindly, and often recce with google maps-street view.