Cats

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

Re: Cats

Post by fastpedaller »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Rabbits exhibit similar behaviour. In fact most prey species will run in some sort of zig-zag in order to shake off the threat. Unfortunately what works to escape a dog or similar actively chasing them tends to fail with something that's trying to avoid them.

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe they aren't so daft after all! Hares seem to run and run and run..... No zig-zagging, but they must rely on outrunning the prey. When they take off over a field they are out of sight, and have probably run 1/2 mile!
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Funnily enough I found myself driving a car behind a hare a couple of years ago. I hung well back thinking it might dive into a verge if I kept the "pressure" off, but it held a straight path down the middle of the road for maybe quarter of a mile then turned off - down the middle of a side road. Afterwards I wished I'd checked my speedo.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've twice raced a hare. Once on a road, once on a (decent quality) farm track. The score is Hares 2 - Bmblbzzz 0.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I ended up following a Hare along a country road @25mph for about half a mile or so, just loping along, it then suddenly sped up as another car was coming the other way and darted into a field.
I didn't know they could go that fast.

My cat used to jump on my chest every time I got on my recumbent trike and refuse to get off until we had gone for a little ride round the block.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I used to regularly find one of my cats asleep on my recumbent's seat... cats know what's best, sitting on an upright bike's saddle is not as much fun :lol: