2019 - Twenty a day?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: 2019 - Twenty a day?

Post by foxyrider »

August was a bit of a strange month for me as I was away on my hols - 2 weeks with the bike in southern Sweden. That has impacted things a little skewy - mileage up, climbing down!

So here we go
1675km for the month (highest this year so far) with just 9465m of ascent. The average ride for the month panned out at 98.5km with 305m of climbing over 17 ride days.

For the year the average ride is 104km with 1071m of going up but the important numbers are the 50.5km and 520m for the year to date. I've already hit my 1000km/month target for the year with 4 months left to count, my secondary target is a further 3000km and i'm making inroads into that. Whether I reach the magic 16200km, 10000 miles this year will depend largely on the weather.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

7023 miles total on 1st September so having had a month's lay off in February I'm averaging 1000 miles a month at the moment. However this will drop a bit with a short family holiday in October and the inevitable weather issues in November and December.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
whoof

Post by whoof »

August was a little short at 875 miles. 7583 for the year to date or 31.2 per day. Expect September too be higher as it will include a trip to Majorca.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

September has been another interesting month riding wise, I missed a couple of usual ride days due to other 'stuff' then did extra but shorter rides to see some of the World Championships up the road around Harrogate. All this quirked my riding pattern somewhat but I think I still did okay.

Here are the figures then:-
1254km for the month (lowest this year so far) with just 12659m of ascent. The average ride for the month was only 90km with 904m of climbing over 14 riding days.

For the year the average ride is now 103km with 1057m of going up but the important numbers are the drop to 49.5km and 510m for the year to date. I'm now on 13513km / 139079m for the year to date which puts me well on target to reach my secondary 15000km aim and there's a good chance that i'll reach the 10k miles too. That said, October gets hit with a bike free week and so does December so who knows? :?:

I've cracked the 20 miles a day but can I make it back up to 30 miles?

How are the rest of you doing with your own personal targets?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

A family holiday at the end of September meant a slight drop in mileage this month.
7894 miles total at the end of the month.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
rjb

Post by rjb »

6230 tandem miles so far. This leaves us 1070 to do before the year end. Its touch and go now despite having 150 miles in the bank as it were. Dec is busy so we need to clock up a few extra miles next month. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

2019 - Twenty a day or will it be thirty?

Post by foxyrider »

So we've all made it through October - just two months left!

I've had a weird month, a week on a trip sans bike early on and then a move from my usual stomping grounds around Steel City to Brizzle where i'll be based for a bit. So lots of new roads to explore but judging ride length, especially now the clocks have changed, is proving interesting!

So how are the numbers stacking?
Kilometres covered 1354 and metres climbed 13358 over 11 riding days and year to date 14867 kilometres and 152437 metres which averages at 48.8km and 500m per day of the year so far.

Subject to the weather etc, etc i should reach 16000km/10000miles during November but whilst the Mendip / Cotswold massif provides some, often testing, climbs, the actual metres gained are relatively low so i'll be a bit short compared to 2018!

How are the rest of you getting on with your mileage targets?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I am about a 1000 down on the year having said I would give this ago. Will finish the year on around 6.3k, and there isn’t enough time now to make this up.
NUKe

Post by pedalsheep »

October's mileage was a little bit down but 8811 miles at the start of November so 10,000 miles for the year should be doable assuming no accident, illness or freak weather!
rjb

Post by rjb »

685 miles this month which puts us on 6915 tandem miles this year to date. We are now in touching distance of the target 385 miles remaining. Mrs B is now onboard with the challenge realising we are unlikely to do it again now that age is creeping up. Couple of wet rides but we managed to get out on 26 days during the month. Longest ride was 32 miles. Hows everyone else doing? :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not sorted the detail for this month yet but I have rolled through 10,000 miles for the year now and i'll beat last year's total by some way even with a reduced programme through December (I'm away without a bike over xmas and i'm missing a couple of rides this week due to visiting family)

Will post Nov breakdown when I get 'home' later this week.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

9681miles to 30th November so still on target for 10,000+.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Finally got time to sort this - its been a busy week!

So, November saw me pass the 10,000 mile point for the year - its the second consecutive year i've exceeded that milestone so i'm one chuffed grandad! As a month, i rode on 12 days, had to reshuffle threee times due to the weather and missed one day as i was travelling to see the family oop north. Totals were 12755m over 1418km, climb rate of 9m/km - well i'm struggling to get in any proper climbing down here :lol:
YTD (334 days) its 16285km with 165094m so thats an average day of 49km with just shy of 500m. Average ride is 105km with 1065m climbing.

December is gonna be a duffer this year, i shall miss about two weeks worth of riding as i'm away without a bike over Chrimbo and thats without any dodgy weather :roll: . i've certainly smashed 20 miles a day for the year, in fact if i ride no more the figure is very nearly 28 miles/day, anything i do the rest of the month will nudge that closer to 30 miles/day :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hit the spot this morning. 387 miles so far this month so 7302 tandem miles for the year to date. My total milage will be approx 9000 miles by the year end. My fast road bikes, peugeot 531 pro and a Focus variado have not been out this year. Since Mrs rjb has retired we have been tandeming 6 days out of 7.
I used to average over 12k miles annually when I was commuting but those days are behind me now. The extra miles have been ridden on my Falcon K2 MTB converted for touring and a couple of 3 speed vintage folding shoppers which get regular outings locally.
Nice to reach our goal before the social season gets into full swing. :lol:
Merry Xmas to you all.
SussexMan

Post by SussexMan »

I got back on a bike in June 2014 and some then have increased my annual mileage each year and in 2019 managed 7,307 miles. 95% of those are commuting miles, albeit I take a longer route to/from work than I have to. Did achieve my first ever 100 miles in a day as well. All done on the cheap, either on my Dawes Horizon or my Dawes Galaxy, both from around 1990 and both bought for less than £70 a piece. Have decided not to chase miles this year so not setting any targets.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-T310 using hovercraft full of eels.