Went for a ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Re: Went for a ride

Post by Paulatic »

foxyrider wrote:
Paulatic wrote:If this was QI I feel as though I can hear the Claxons :D

It can’t be that simple can it?

No idea what QI is but yes it's Sheffield, the only UK city partly in a National Park.

QI https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ml0g there is always a couple of questions where there is an obvious answer which are not the answer required.

You asked
foxyrider wrote:I live in a city :(

But which city is it?

While all the time the answer is on the page :D
924481CC-5FE2-4566-9D48-8596B91813C7.jpeg

Definitely a QI moment.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

charliepolecat wrote:Audax67, It looks magical. :D

Thanks! I wouldn't change it. Here are a couple more:

Not to say that there aren't ugly industrial bits as well, but they're easily avoided.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

The weather has been getting better. Did a 52 mile group ride yesterday with another 6 miles carrying my daughter on my cargo bike in the evening, and 46 miles today.

Have ended up taking the same lane in the picture in my OP, three rides in a row. Today I could have avoided it, and saved a couple of miles and a bit of a hill. But it would go all through Guildford.

The lanes starting from Bramley, just south of Guildford (not to be confused with other villages of the same name), and passing various lakes (including the rather fabulous Busbridge lakes) to eventually wind around towards Munstead were totally free of traffic.

This nice little hill is one of those where you are in a sort of ridge. The reward at the top is expansive views over fields.

alldens.jpg

Apparently there is a straight-on here. I didn't spot it but I guess it's by the 'men at work sign'.

straighton.jpg

Only a few hundred yards extra.

Then passing through Hambledon (which has a cricket club, though not THE cricket club), and seems to think quite a lot of itself.

Sandhills is a small hamlet, but well worth passing through via Barnacle Hill Road and down the short + steep Sebastapol Lane (somehow steep descents are more amusing in villages)

From Sandhills into Brook, very briefly on the minor A-road before heading up to Bowlhead Green on a nice single track road with a fairly gentle (5%) slope. From there to French Lane, which heads towards the A3 without serving much purpose for motorists, and crosses it over a bridge, which sees very little traffic.

Passing the Church of the Good Shepherd, which is a dinky little church in The Sands, Seale, is a sign before the impending trip into hell.

sealechurch.jpg

The Hogs Back is one of the borders between 'nice roads' and 'overcrowded mess'.

After passing through Tongham, the level crossing was down at Ash, which meant a long queue of cars behind me. The 3.5 mile Pirbright Road A324 between Ash and Pirbright is not great for cycling, as it is just wide enough to be 'fast', but not wide enough that all motorists feel comfortable overtaking. Especially at 6pm you may feel like a bit of an inconvenience to traffic. I did try to cycle a bit faster, though I suppose in the end at that time of day, even if it's 3 miles up the road, the motorist is only hurrying to his next queue of traffic.

At any rate the light today was very good till almost 6pm. There is something wonderful about the English sun at this time of year when the weather is good, it's a bath of light rather than a burning tropical heat, with the promise of spring (or perhaps it is already here).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thought i'd take a picture of it on Saturday

DSCN0523.JPG

It's terrible riding around the city, horses, tractors, stupid pheasants make it a nightmare.

To be fair, I can be in this countryside in about five minutes including carrying the bike downstairs but OTOH if I go north it's best part of an hour of city to cross.

But which city is it?

St Davids Wales might fit the description, in a National Park, or in the US "city" means "community", could be a village :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Thought i'd take a picture of it on Saturday

DSCN0523.JPG

It's terrible riding around the city, horses, tractors, stupid pheasants make it a nightmare.

To be fair, I can be in this countryside in about five minutes including carrying the bike downstairs but OTOH if I go north it's best part of an hour of city to cross.

But which city is it?

St Davids Wales might fit the description, in a National Park, or in the US "city" means "community", could be a village :?

Stretching it a bit
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:St Davids Wales might fit the description, in a National Park, or in the US "city" means "community", could be a village :?

City in the USA does not mean community. It is an municipality and administrative division of local government with state defined requirements to meet, such as governance, fire and police departments, a minimum population (or population density), and other things.

The definition and requirements for 'town' and 'village' vary much more than for 'city'. However, each state still has legal definitions for these types of community.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
althebike

Post by althebike »

I am very grateful for the inspiring pictures posted.
I have a route from lands end to john o groats, and also a work in progress round the world route which I am riding bit by bit on a turbo trainer. ( done 1130 miles this year) The trouble is it is boring, no bike skill involved, no wind in the hair, changes of scenery interaction with folks you meet on the way ,no cafe stops, in short it is making me a boring old.... the sun was shining yesterday and I was on the turbo thinking this is stupid, it has to stop.Time to get riding for real.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

althebike wrote:I am very grateful for the inspiring pictures posted.
I have a route from lands end to john o groats, and also a work in progress round the world route which I am riding bit by bit on a turbo trainer. ( done 1130 miles this year) The trouble is it is boring, no bike skill involved, no wind in the hair, changes of scenery interaction with folks you meet on the way ,no cafe stops, in short it is making me a boring old.... the sun was shining yesterday and I was on the turbo thinking this is stupid, it has to stop.Time to get riding for real.

Please say that you did a 'real' ride in today's glorious sunshine!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
althebike

Post by althebike »

Ahem, clearing throat, after seeing those pics, I real ride is imminent, when I saw them I realised what I have been missing.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I live on the edge of a small village down a single track lane with grass growing in the middle of it. Ideal you would say but nearly all of my rides start with an 8 miles route through Telford Newtown as every cycle group in the area meets the opposite side of the town
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

foxyrider wrote:
Paulatic wrote:If this was QI I feel as though I can hear the Claxons :D

It can’t be that simple can it?

No idea what QI is but yes it's Sheffield, the only UK city partly in a National Park.
Lewes is in the South Downs National Park and it has a "cathedral". :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a nice ride around rural South Yorkshire on Thursday it's amazing some of the stuff you can see.

DSCN0644.JPG

A glass furnace hiding amongst the houses of Catcliffe

DSCN0646.JPG

You don't have to but if you are collecting place names it's one of the stranger ones!

DSCN0648.JPG

Five years on and Bank View is still spotty!

DSCN0650_edit.JPG

We don't do those silly low grade climbs round here, one of the signed climbs on Strines (not many gradient signs around these days, has someone been nicking them?)

DSCN0651.JPG

And finally another shot of Sheffield looking towards Sugworth Road from Mortimer Road, Strines.

Is it really still February?