Edge lines

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tim-b

Re: Edge lines

Post by tim-b »

Hi
PCU = pedal cycle units?

Passenger car unit (aka equivalent)

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

paddler wrote:
irc wrote:
paddler wrote:
So are you saying that cyclists must use the cycle lane? If so, is there a penalty for going into the road?

No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road.

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/node/283

Ok, right. Thanks.
But those are solid white lines, so if they are both cycle lanes and there is not a sign with a time restriction, then cyclists must not use other parts of the road at all times.

"No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road." but only if the separation is a broken line and not a solid one unless there is a time restriction stating otherwise.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:
paddler wrote:
irc wrote:
No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road.

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/node/283

Ok, right. Thanks.
But those are solid white lines, so if they are both cycle lanes and there is not a sign with a time restriction, then cyclists must not use other parts of the road at all times. A clearer summary is https://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/dict ... cycle-lane

"No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road." but only if the separation is a broken line and not a solid one unless there is a time restriction stating otherwise.

Sorry but that's incorrect in the UK. The law only requires that other vehicles are not driven in a solid-line lane, not that cycles are confined to it. I challenge you to find anything saying the opposite.

In some (most?) European countries, a circular white-on-blue bike sign means you must use the cycle lane unless it's not going where you're going or is too small for you or your group or a few other exceptions while a rectangular one usually means it's optional - but in the UK, a circular-sign lane is usually protected and a rectangular-sign one may be just a cycle route without even a dashed painted lane!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

MikeF wrote:[..those are solid white lines, so if... there is not a sign with a time restriction, then cyclists must not use other parts of the road at all times.

Not at all. A mandatory cycle lane (with a solid border line) is a part of the carriageway where vehicular traffic other than pedal cycles is prohibited. The presence of one does not mean that cyclists are prohibited from using other parts of the carriageway, any more than buses are required to remain within bus lanes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

jgurney wrote:
MikeF wrote:[..those are solid white lines, so if... there is not a sign with a time restriction, then cyclists must not use other parts of the road at all times.

Not at all. A mandatory cycle lane (with a solid border line) is a part of the carriageway where vehicular traffic other than pedal cycles is prohibited. The presence of one does not mean that cyclists are prohibited from using other parts of the carriageway, any more than buses are required to remain within bus lanes.
I stand corrected!
However I know of only 1 around here (A26 Tunbridge Wells) and that's part time. At times when I've used it, it would be pointless to use other parts of the carriageway.
I don't peddle bikes.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

MikeF wrote: I know of only 1 around here. At times when I've used it, it would be pointless to use other parts of the carriageway.

A cyclist there might want to leave the lane either to overtake a slower cyclist or to turn right (e.g. to go wherever the schoolboy with the white bag (just right of the bus) is going.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:However I know of only 1 around here (A26 Tunbridge Wells) and that's part time. At times when I've used it, it would be pointless to use other parts of the carriageway.

Why on earth is it part time? Just to allow motorcycles a bypass lane at other times?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's part time in order to appease local sentiment.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote:
MikeF wrote:However I know of only 1 around here (A26 Tunbridge Wells) and that's part time. At times when I've used it, it would be pointless to use other parts of the carriageway.

Why on earth is it part time? Just to allow motorcycles a bypass lane at other times?
A good question, but I don't know the answer. At those times the rest of the carriageway is more or less nose to tail motor traffic and at least it gives a clear route for cycling. It's by no means ideal as it's not continuous anywhere and hasn't bus stop bypasses, but I have travelled faster than motor traffic along it. It is an improvement.

It was intended to have a cycling route from Tonbridge to Tunbridge Wells, but the motoring lobby seems to have won. It's the same with all councils in this whole area; they may state about the benefits of cycling in all their documents and how pro cycling they are, but when it comes to building anything they have no commitment whatsoever. :evil:
I don't peddle bikes.