Edge lines

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Edge lines

Post by thelawnet »

what do we think of these?

lines.jpg

This is I think a 60mph (B) road, 3% slope, so in one direction you might be doing 25mph, in the other half that.

The left of the line is not part of the road, though you could reasonably cycle UP to the left of the line, it's a bit narrow to descend within at any speed.
mjr

Re: Edge lines

Post by mjr »

It's a shoulder. It's part of the road but there's no telling what state it's in, so don't cycle in it unless you're really sure it's OK.

Second most annoying road layout is when a road has been repainted to have very wide shoulders instead of wide lanes but the powers still won't reallocate any of the width to cycling and walking.

Most annoying is when Highways England paint bike symbols in shoulders like those pictured, propagating the belief that they're all cycle lanes and we're not supposed to use the carriageway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Is that cycle lane on left or just the edge of the road extent?
Solid white lines are the boundary of the road, I think just to show this and in the dark where there is no definite edge?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Is that cycle lane on left or just the edge of the road extent?
Solid white lines are the boundary of the road, I think just to show this and in the dark where there is no definite edge?

it's not a cycle lane, no. It's just the line marking the edge of the lane.

There seems to be some detail here:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Traffic_ ... hapter_5/4

The line is 10cm wide, and is used

"(i) where the demarcation between the carriageway and the verge is poor,

(ii) along lengths prone to fog and mist,

(iii) on heavily-trafficked single carriageway roads where headlamp dazzle is severe,

(iv) at sudden changes of carriageway width,

(v) on the approaches to narrow bridges,

(vi) on the approaches to bends indicated by bend warning signs,

(vii) at the back of a hard shoulder for use during contra-flow working. A 100 mm wide marking is prescribed for this purpose, and is generally laid 50 mm from the back of the hard shoulder. It may remain when the contra-flow has been removed, or

(viii) at traffic calming measures e.g. chicanes."

The centre line is another 10cm, though 15cm if the road is 10m+ wide.

I'm not sure the width of the carriageway, 3.65m?

Presumably there to demarcate the verge?

There does seem to be room for a (1.5m?) cycle lane, but it doesn't seem to be priority. Whether or not a cycle lane is better than a strip of non-road is certainly open to debate.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There are some stretches of road where riding on the shoulder is better than being in the main carriageway (uphill for example) but I wouldn't make it a general habit. As has been mentioned before, the width can be quite variable, surface poor etc, etc.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
peetee

Post by peetee »

It's there primarily for motor traffic and its position is relative to the road surface depth to ensure that heavy traffic remains at a distance that will not cause the edge of the carriageway to degrade.
As with any road boundary, action of motor traffic tends to 'sweep' the surface clean where tyres roll and everywhere else cyclist have to expect the worst.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Traffic volumes in excess of 18,000 PCU daily, 40 mph. Mandatory cycle lane on the descent approx 1m wide, perhaps 1.5m on the climb. Frequent calls to take them both out to add another motor traffic lane.
DockRd.png

I'm sure someone will come along later with something even worse. Is it any wonder that more people don't cycle?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
As said above it’s not part of the road stay out of them if you can the amount of debris you see all the stuff it’s been washed out of the carriageway.
On jewel carriageway is I might sometimes use it that is left of the white line, but only if it’s suitable for me sofa for me and I can dodge the glass and the shredded tires. cycle lanes are a bit of a joke and that’s a bit dangerous.
I refuse to use the ones that enter and exit at right angles to the payment.
Much work to do there I think.
On the opening post the photograph of the road simply not Wide enough to be safe for cycling.
As a cyclist you need to take priority on roads like that, overtaking cars need to overtake Cleanly and you need to hold your ground.
I don’t cycle in the gutter Obvious reasons Cycling to the left of white lines is very similar, everything that is discarded out of windows and End up There.

Typed by speech forgive the poor grammar.
paddler

Post by paddler »

gaz wrote:Traffic volumes in excess of 18,000 PCU daily, 40 mph. Mandatory cycle lane on the descent approx 1m wide, perhaps 1.5m on the climb. Frequent calls to take them both out to add another motor traffic lane.
DockRd.png
I'm sure someone will come along later with something even worse. Is it any wonder that more people don't cycle?

So are you saying that cyclists must use the cycle lane? If so, is there a penalty for going into the road?
irc

Post by irc »

paddler wrote:
gaz wrote:Traffic volumes in excess of 18,000 PCU daily, 40 mph. Mandatory cycle lane on the descent approx 1m wide, perhaps 1.5m on the climb. Frequent calls to take them both out to add another motor traffic lane.
DockRd.png

So are you saying that cyclists must use the cycle lane? If so, is there a penalty for going into the road?

No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road.

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/node/283
paddler

Post by paddler »

irc wrote:
paddler wrote:
DockRd.png

No the law is that mlotorists can't drive or park in them, cyclists can still use the road.

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/node/283

Ok, right. Thanks.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Unfortunately they do, park right across them even managing to park on the pavement too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately they do, park right across them even managing to park on the pavement too.

But unlike pavements, parking in a solid line lane is a straight ticket. Any authority failing to collect such easy money enforcing a clear law should be ridiculed publicly often.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

DockRd.png

PCU = pedal cycle units?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

On the road posted by the OP: the lines are, as others have said, a marking for motorists. They're definitely not a cycle lane but the annoying thing for cyclists is they do effectively narrow the carriageway somewhat.

As for riding on the shoulder uphill: as there is no shoulder there, would anyone ride on the footway?