Are you on Google Streetview?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Are you on Google Streetview?

Post by Mick F »

hamster wrote:
Mick F wrote:I would have liked the Marmite one, but the rear side says "hate" on it. Not a nice word to use so I won't buy it. "dislike" would have been a better word, but I like jams! Blackcurrant is my favourite.
https://www.foska.com/marmite-road-cycling-jersey.html

I think the jams they were referring to were the traffic variety! :? 8)

I know that, but it's not a "hate" issue.

"Hate" isn't a nice word. I may not like traffic, but I'm as much a part of it as millions of others, and I don't "hate" it.
I know it's strictly the opposite to "love", but "hate" is used in an entirely different way these days.

The joke on the rear of the jersey is a play on words of traffic jams vs jars of jams, and that some people "hate" Marmite.
They don't hate it, they dislike it, or detest it maybe.

Hate is a horrible word and I try never to use it.
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I got caught walking down my garden path and my van was caught parked at East Voe in Shetland the same year.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I used to feel similarly about the word love. Is it right to say you love Marmite? It dilutes the strength of the word when used about a person.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I used to feel similarly about the word love. Is it right to say you love Marmite? It dilutes the strength of the word when used about a person.

+1

Love and hate are opposites.
Love is a good thing to feel, and hate is not.
You can't use these words with foodstuffs.
Mick F. Cornwall
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

There's a tale, probably apocryphal, of a guy shown on Streetview walking his dog & the face of the dog has been blurred out as well as the owner's.
Can anyone verify it?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A few years ago we were booking a cottage on Lewis and whilst looking around the place on Streetview I spotted an old mam and his dog. Distinctive jacket and dog. Few weeks later at the place there they were, jacket and all. Everyday actually. I had to show him. He hadn't, not surprisingly, heard of Street view and had mixed feelings. Pleased at his fame but concerned about who was watching him. Went home to tell his wife who asked me to show her. She didn't believe him. Look at Crosbost. I bet its the same.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps it was a hirsute mutt?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is this the place?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.13335 ... 312!8i6656
The dog isn't greyed out.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I tnhink Streetview is really useful. In our recent househunt it saved many wasted journeys ie immediately identifying the gasworks next door, traffic, slobby neighbours etc. I do think its intrusive just like video surveillance but that seems to be the norm these days.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

A few years ago, four riders from our club were on StreetView, cycling the wrong way up a one-way street in Fowey. Alas, they've rephotographed it now :(
Chris F, Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

ChrisF wrote:A few years ago, four riders from our club were on StreetView, cycling the wrong way up a one-way street in Fowey. Alas, they've rephotographed it now :(

On the desktop browser version you can still access most/all of the old streetview shots. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've been obliterated! :shock:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.60638 ... 384!8i8192
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 15.33.46.png

Note the date.
June 2018 in both shots.
They must have gone up later coz they didn't like my Cornish top on view in England.
Google Streetview.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

philsknees wrote:There's a tale, probably apocryphal, of a guy shown on Streetview walking his dog & the face of the dog has been blurred out as well as the owner's.
Can anyone verify it?
That's funny! Stuff like that's been happening since the year dot, eg the things OS map artists put in places it's hard to spot. Cliffs and wotnot are full of their initials, if you can be bothered to look.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

simonineaston wrote:
philsknees wrote:There's a tale, probably apocryphal, of a guy shown on Streetview walking his dog & the face of the dog has been blurred out as well as the owner's.
Can anyone verify it?
That's funny! Stuff like that's been happening since the year dot, eg the things OS map artists put in places it's hard to spot. Cliffs and wotnot are full of their initials, if you can be bothered to look.

Quite deliberately most maps have errors, so that if a map is copied it can be shown to have been copied.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:I've been obliterated! :shock:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.60638 ... 384!8i8192
$matches[2]

Note the date.
June 2018 in both shots.
They must have gone up later coz they didn't like my Cornish top on view in England.Google Streetview.jpg

Sometimes if you move one "notch" further forward or back the view changes to a different run. Or you may need to move & cycle (sorry) through the available views at that spot.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.