Are you on Google Streetview?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Are you on Google Streetview?

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to my sister (she's staying with us at the mo) she told me she was on Streetview standing in her front doorway.
That's her in red.
Sister on Google Streetview.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was on Streetview from when I was street cleaning ten years ago, the image isn't there any more. I've a picture of it somewhere.
Two or three years back an Apple Car came past me whilst riding out the back of Newburgh somewhere, they are, or have released something called Apple Look Around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Look_Around
I'm not sure if it's countrywide or not, they may have just been out for a drive.
I was here I think, or hereabouts on my bike, I possibly gave them them an encouraging hand signal of some description...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59254 ... 6656?hl=en
Hollowford Lane, Hoscar .
You're an Apple user Mick, perhaps you could see
if Apple LA has reached W.Lanc's yet ?
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never heard of it.
Just looked it up, and it only works in "select cities".
Tried London, and it works there.

It's not covered in Plymouth, and definitely not in Hoscar.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks anyway for looking Mick.
First London, then Hoscar, next the world !
As the saying goes down the the orchard, don't bite off more than you can comfortably chew..
Is an Apple filming car known as an Apple Cart do you think ?
It would be upsetting if it wasn't.
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was on Streetview from when I was street cleaning ten years ago, the image isn't there any more.
Sorry if I've missed something here but with streetview you can wind back to the earlier versions. There are some busy roads which seem to get a visit every year or two.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 3:56pm
I was on Streetview from when I was street cleaning ten years ago, the image isn't there any more.
Sorry if I've missed something here but with streetview you can wind back to the earlier versions. There are some busy roads which seem to get a visit every year or two.
Thanks TC, I did not know that. I took a picture of the screen a while back whilst it was still current, I think I was on there twice in one day , once working, and another gabbing with some workmates. :) . I'm not too bothered revisiting those 'King of the Road days' on reflection. I can see how much weight I've put on in the intervening years. :(
The Road Sweepers Anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhAC0dFis0
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've just been snapped by a Google car as we met facing each other at a crossroads. It'll probably be a while before it arrives on Google maps.
I am here. Where are you?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I find the whole thing pretty sinister... All of it!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

There's a nice little piece in today's Observer about people finding their earlier selves frozen in time on Streetview, or lost loved ones still peering from a front window, caught in a random moment.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... et-moments
(No paywall, but may contain frequent nagging invitations to subscribe.)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yup. When I linked to a streetview image of me yakking to a neighbour, the penfriend (do we still use the term?) spotted Mrs thirdcrank at the kitchen window, which I had not noticed. Narcissism probably
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I'm on streetview. All the cool kids are ;-)
I've been caught twice over the years.
The older image is now only available if you step back though time though which I can't do on the android app.
IMG_20211031_113058.jpg
IMG_20211031_112741.jpg
image001.png
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

here's me photographing them + our wee dog
pwa

Post by pwa »

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3453909 ... 6?hl=en-GB

My Dad, on the occasion that Google visited his road in Ireland. He died a few years ago so this now seems a bit poignant.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I still find it all very creepy... I wonder what the resolution of those multi lens, multi camera satellites are up above is now, in the 21st century. In the 1990's they said they had a resolving power of 10 metres on the ground, from space.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Nov 2021, 3:39am I still find it all very creepy... I wonder what the resolution of those multi lens, multi camera satellites are up above is now, in the 21st century. In the 1990's they said they had a resolving power of 10 metres on the ground, from space.
Resolving power isn't great - the atmosphere stuffs things up too badly and the ground moves by very quickly, but they're pretty good.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.