BBC Bias again

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

BBC Bias again

Post by Revolution »

BBC R4 You & Yours today with an unbelievably bias presenter interviewing (If you can call it that) Nick Chamberlin from British Cycling
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002r0c
To save yourself having to listen to the whole programme the item is at 20:40
I urge anyone who finds this appaling / annoying / frustrating / or just shoddy journalism to make a complaint to the BBC.
It is only if we continue to call them out for this kind of stuff that they may eventually get it.
Cheers
tykeboy2003

Re: BBC Bias again

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I listened to that and was getting quite annoyed by the presenter who was constantly trying to get Nick to react, to his great credit, he stuck to a completely non confrontational stance and put over his points clearly and concisely. Appalling journalism.

Just tried to make a complaint and the process is absolutely awful, I made one mistake, hit the back button and it went right back to the start....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Got fed up with it after approx 4minutes of the interview and the introduction to it by a thoroughly biased presenter,diabolical :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was out during the prog and only caught the end of it when talking about typewriters. :cry:

I'll click on the link tomorrow morning. Had a beer or three, so not best placed for constructive comments.
Thanks for linking it, and I'm sure I'll "enjoy" it (not).
Mick F. Cornwall
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I haven't listened to the interview but I really dislike 'You and Yours', it's an awful programme. I feel I am being talked down to when I catch bits of it
Richard M
Cardiff
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

richardfm wrote:I haven't listened to the interview but I really dislike 'You and Yours', it's an awful programme. I feel I am being talked down to when I catch bits of it

I find quite a few BBC programs both TV and radio to be dumbed down to the point of annoyance,so much so that I can't watch or listen to some of them :?
W H Auden
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
Just tried to make a complaint and the process is absolutely awful, I made one mistake, hit the back button and it went right back to the start....

If you are not successful making a complaint through the usual channels at the BBC you can always email the programme direct
Youandyours@bbc.co.uk
The presenter was Shari Vahl BBC employees have a BBC email account which, unless you are John Smith will be firstname.surname@bbc.co.uk
as long as it's a civil email and not abusive that may be worth a try shari.vahl@bbc.co.uk
There is also feedback@bbc.co.uk which is a R4 programme dedicated to criticism of the BBC particularly radio. Produced independently, it has an interest in holding the BBC to account.
One or all of these should get your message across :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I thought that was a very positive interview for cyclists and a mature response to the common & shared issues on our roads. Nick Chamberlain was given the opportunity to develop his points and put across an alternative pov to the obviously leading and slanted questions asked.

In some respects asking the 'Daily Mail' questions gave him a better opportunity to do that, I thought.
Alport

Post by Alport »

I like You and Yours, but found this item excruciating. The interviewer seemed determined to bait the guy representing cyclists, really not listening to his answers. He did hold his line and I felt dealt with the questions admirably. Perhaps it's me, but BBC interviews are not always what they were!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I occasionally catch an episode of Newswatch, where members of the public can have their say on topics raised on the BBC.
Usually the presenter puts forward the issue to the producer of the programme or clip concerned.
Never have I come across such arrogant, self-righteous people as them.
Initially they always say they try to keep a balanced view but in the end actually just put forward their own opinion and what is right or wrong that completely opposes what point the viewer raised.
Grrrr.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's not just the beeb.

TV, radio, newsrags - aggressive & confrontational interviewing techniques and the bandying around of discredited or nonsensical ideas are what passes for balanced interviews these days.

The only thing worse is when they ask some pleb from the audience their opinion when they too obviously haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Interviewers I can ignore by not watching or purchasing their media along with the presumption they actually know better but are simply gaming the interview to generate entertainment for the masses. Joe Public otoh is all around me...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I thought that was a very positive interview for cyclists and a mature response to the common & shared issues on our roads. Nick Chamberlain was given the opportunity to develop his points and put across an alternative pov to the obviously leading and slanted questions asked.

In some respects asking the 'Daily Mail' questions gave him a better opportunity to do that, I thought.

You're not wrong.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

kwackers wrote:It's not just the beeb.

TV, radio, newsrags - aggressive & confrontational interviewing techniques and the bandying around of discredited or nonsensical ideas are what passes for balanced interviews these days.

The only thing worse is when they ask some pleb from the audience their opinion when they too obviously haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Interviewers I can ignore by not watching or purchasing their media along with the presumption they actually know better but are simply gaming the interview to generate entertainment for the masses. Joe Public otoh is all around me...

The mass media, especially the BBC, has long been slipping into lowest common denominator mode; into a set of infantile presentation modes to match the infantile audiences of the times. Which is the chicken and which the egg? As ever, impossible to know.

My own bugbear is the dreadful Blue Peter style of presenting often complex and/or serious matters. We are talked at as though we were five year olds. The various simplified "points" are repeated at least 3 and often 7 times. There is a faux bouncy-enthusiasm troweled on; or a highly unconvincing "isn't-this-awesome" panty-puffery delivery.

How did we get like this? How much worse is it going to get? It's as though we've all been transported into Enid Blyton world, in which we are assumed to be a lot of Noddies.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[youtube]WGFDXvod9gU[/youtube]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
The mass media, especially the BBC, has long been slipping into lowest common denominator mode; into a set of infantile presentation modes to match the infantile audiences of the times. Which is the chicken and which the egg? As ever, impossible to know.

My own bugbear is the dreadful Blue Peter style of presenting often complex and/or serious matters. We are talked at as though we were five year olds. The various simplified "points" are repeated at least 3 and often 7 times. There is a faux bouncy-enthusiasm troweled on; or a highly unconvincing "isn't-this-awesome" panty-puffery delivery.

How did we get like this? How much worse is it going to get? It's as though we've all been transported into Enid Blyton world, in which we are assumed to be a lot of Noddies.

Cugel

Spot on,TV and radio has become like children's hour.
W H Auden