Did this bus pass close enough?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
awavey

Re: Did this bus pass close enough?

Post by awavey »

tim-b wrote:Hi
...they are incentivised to drive between their set routes

Regulation (EC) 561/2006 "CHAPTER III LIABILITY OF TRANSPORT UNDERTAKINGS
Article 10
A transport undertaking shall not give drivers it employs or who are put at its disposal any payment, even in the form of a bonus or wage supplement, related to distances travelled and/or the amount of goods carried if that payment is of such a kind as to endanger road safety and/or encourages infringement of this Regulation."

Articles 1 and 2 make it clear that it applies to either passengers or goods. If you suspect this to be happening then report it to the ATCs as I mentioned above

Regards
tim-b

yeah but I suspect they know that rule and know exactly how to word what they were doing to get around it, I dont know the full ins and outs of their deal obviously, I doubt the driver was paid any extra as such, but the coach company dispatcher who chatted with the driver seemed definitely to feel the number of coach loads of passengers they were able to send out and get a tick in the box for from the train company people, was a key metric for them, and the more ticks they got,the better, that might not count as an explicit or even implicit way of saying get back here as soon as you can so we can fill you up again, but that seemed to be the way it was working.

but it may have changed it was a few years back now, as the experience was enough to put me off travelling whenever bus replacements were likely, because the guy drove like a complete nut case, I actually was sitting there praying we didnt encounter any cyclists on the back roads, because I dont think theyd have stood much chance. Even on the dual carriageway the guy was tailgating cars at ludicrously close distances given the speed and trying to get them to speed up, even in average speed limit camera spots. I was quite glad to arrive in one piece frankly
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:*Note: "Sheffield Park" is nowhere near Sheffield - any more than Leeds Castle is anywhere near Leeds... :lol:

Leeds Castle looks to be right next to the eastern boundary of Leeds https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/ ... 484/0.6257 ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Why do they not put more double white lining around traffic islands to stop these dangerous overtakes? I once experienced a police car come past me where there was a traffic island and a left turn junction. Drivers no longer seem to be aware they are not supposed to overtake at these dangerous points. Would big white lines help them? He said hopefully.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The pass was dangerously close and so the driving was dangerous,that's all I can say other than it happens to me every ride though it's usually by cars.2
It's worth reporting due to the footage you have as proof.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

A significant number of drivers seem to take this particular 'traffic calming' measure as a challenge. I even had one car last month go around the wrong side of the island rather than slow down. Just like speed humps, they turn roads into a series of drag races at best and endanger pedestrians and cyclists at every instance.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

foxyrider wrote:I even had one car last month go around the wrong side of the island rather than slow down.
This has happened to me too - last time was only a few days earlier. I don't have video of that one.

If I can, safely, (not with that bus!) I go into primary position approaching a set of bollards. That is often enough to deter most of the "squeezer-through" idiots. To be honest, I'd rather they went round the Keep Left sign the wrong way, than rammed me from behind.

Though I'd report that behaviour too - if I had video.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Why do they not put more double white lining around traffic islands to stop these dangerous overtakes? I once experienced a police car come past me where there was a traffic island and a left turn junction. Drivers no longer seem to be aware they are not supposed to overtake at these dangerous points. Would big white lines help them? He said hopefully.

Not much, but maybe they could be painted as 'rumble strips' as are used at the near side, makes noise/vibration to wake up the motrons
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:A significant number of drivers seem to take this particular 'traffic calming' measure as a challenge. I even had one car last month go around the wrong side of the island rather than slow down. Just like speed humps, they turn roads into a series of drag races at best and endanger pedestrians and cyclists at every instance.

I term such pedestrian islands as 'squeezers' for obvious reasons and always ride in primary when riding through them,unless the road is very wide.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I even had one car last month go around the wrong side of the island rather than slow down.
This has happened to me too - last time was only a few days earlier. I don't have video of that one.

Like this?

[youtube]wRvL5r8CdpE[/youtube]
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:Like this?
That's not quite what I meant (I meant, wrong side of bollards) - but that looks positively criminal: two serious offences in as many seconds! Did you report it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Why do they not put more double white lining around traffic islands to stop these dangerous overtakes? I once experienced a police car come past me where there was a traffic island and a left turn junction. Drivers no longer seem to be aware they are not supposed to overtake at these dangerous points. Would big white lines help them? He said hopefully.

No, they wouldn't help. Go ride along any road with double white lines and no island-type obstruction and you'll probably be overtaken many times, even on blind bends and brows. Policing is the only thing that works against this IMO. Well, that and physically blocking motorists from certain roads, but that requires political will.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.