Windy

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mig

Re: Windy

Post by mig »

having had my normal commuter break a few weeks ago i'm stuck on 50 x 17 fixed at the moment. it feels a tad big anyway but when into the wind.....

never seem to get the gale directly behind me (as it were.)

stay safe out there.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:Fine spring weather we are having..... :wink: :roll: :lol:

So-called because it springs surprises on us! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Cugel wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Greystoke wrote:This morning 6am standing on the pedals, low gear, head down, 4mph :shock:
4pm going home same stretch of road top gear, legs like cartoon legs, briefly 32.4mph :D

That's impossible. Everyone knows that a headwind when you go into work, will have reversed direction by 180° when you go home. :lol:

In my 40s and early 50s I did a 50-60 round-trip commute across The Fylde in Lancashire - a large flat area between the rivers Lune & Ribble, exposed to the unfettered winds and also their frequent load of rain. It was a SW/NE journey (with wiggles) but there was often a NW wind, straight of the North Atlantic with only The Isle of Man in the way. This manifested as a constant headwind, both ways.... which was dispiriting

Where I grew up, was a small town perched on top of a hill. I would cycle to my friend's house, and be screaming abuse at the wind as it brought me to a standstill. And two or three hours later, I'd be screaming at the wind as it did the same in the opposite direction.

For a long time, I thought that I was cursed, and that God hated me.

Actually, what am I saying? I know that I am and that He does.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cugel wrote:
That's impossible. Everyone knows that a headwind when you go into work, will have reversed direction by 180° when you go home. :lol:

In my 40s and early 50s I did a 50-60 round-trip commute across The Fylde in Lancashire - a large flat area between the rivers Lune & Ribble, exposed to the unfettered winds and also their frequent load of rain. It was a SW/NE journey (with wiggles) but there was often a NW wind, straight of the North Atlantic with only The Isle of Man in the way. This manifested as a constant headwind, both ways.... which was dispiriting

Where I grew up, was a small town perched on top of a hill. I would cycle to my friend's house, and be screaming abuse at the wind as it brought me to a standstill. And two or three hours later, I'd be screaming at the wind as it did the same in the opposite direction.

For a long time, I thought that I was cursed, and that God hated me.

Actually, what am I saying? I know that I am and that He does.

My own conclusion was that the gods of wind & weather hadn't noticed me, a mere mote in the vast theatre of their various mad plots and entertainments. Somehow I was never sacrificed to the storm-baddy ... nor briefly made a close friend of the sun, just before being fried to deeth. I sneaked between the gusts and showers like an extra in Ben Hur, getting only a moderate tan (of the cyclist sort) without a big red nose or even a scabby ear-top. :-)

Cugel the insignificant.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cugel wrote:
My own conclusion was that the gods of wind & weather hadn't noticed me, a mere mote in the vast theatre of their various mad plots and entertainments. Somehow I was never sacrificed to the storm-baddy ... nor briefly made a close friend of the sun, just before being fried to deeth. I sneaked between the gusts and showers like an extra in Ben Hur, getting only a moderate tan (of the cyclist sort) without a big red nose or even a scabby ear-top. :-)

Cugel the insignificant.

Been reading a few by Terry Pratchett, have we? :wink:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel the insignificant.

Been reading a few by Terry Pratchett, have we? :wink:

I've read about 5 pages of Pratchet before putting it away as an annoying and tedious style of writing. Jack Vance is my preference for the fey and darkly humourous.

Influences upon my own writing style are many and various. I enjoy a neologism or five as well as the circumlocution, the reedy-voiced lecturing tone and several other devices of utility in annoying my correspondents. If we are condemned to be infested with notion, we might as well cultivate a large and variegated garden of the things, within the scape of our mind-organs, eh?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Cugel wrote:Influences upon my own writing style are many and various. I enjoy a neologism or five as well as the circumlocution, the reedy-voiced lecturing tone and several other devices of utility in annoying my correspondents. If we are condemned to be infested with notion, we might as well cultivate a large and variegated garden of the things, within the scape of our mind-organs, eh?

u wot m8?
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Yesterday cycled to a local school for Bikeability training & was a little concerned by westerly gale.
However, as we were practicing around local estate roads,the wind didn't present too big a problem.
Puddles near blocked road gullies and potholes bigger concern!
londoncommuter0000

My wife and I were just sitting chatting, as you do. She was on the sofa, and I was sitting at the computer desk, with my feet up on the edge of the sofa, facing the living room window.

I jest not, one of our recycling containers was lifted vertically and carried intact across the street, smashing into a neighbour's car, and deposited its contents all over the street. The contents were thus taken by the wind and scattered I know not where.

I went out into the street in my pyjamas, recovered the box and alerted my neighbour. We both went over his car, but thank God, there was no damage.

This weather makes me particularly cross, because I did not do anything to cause this. These extreme weather events are the result of the abject abuse of the planet by those for whom profit is the only aim in life. Capitalists. I would hang the lot of them.
--
London is a cesspit
peetee

Post by peetee »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:My wife and I were just sitting chatting, as you do.

Hardly. As far as I am aware I have never met your wife.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
londoncommuter0000

peetee wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:My wife and I were just sitting chatting, as you do.

Hardly. As far as I am aware I have never met your wife.

Ta boom-tisch!
--
London is a cesspit
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

This weather makes me particularly cross, because I did not do anything to cause this. These extreme weather events are the result of the abject abuse of the planet by those for whom profit is the only aim in life. Capitalists. I would hang the lot of them.

Who would hang the lawyers then? :D
londoncommuter0000

Bonefishblues wrote:

Who would hang the lawyers then? :D

We'd do it ourselves.
--
London is a cesspit