Not all mayhem caused by motorists.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Not all mayhem caused by motorists.

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
661-Pete

Re: Not all mayhem caused by motorists.

Post by 661-Pete »

Horrific.

I've been attacked by car passengers (luckily without injury), but never by another cyclist. Almost unbelievable.

We don't know what was going on before the encounter, of course. Hopefully (a) the injured cyclist will make a complete recovery, and (b) the other cyclist will come forward. Then things can be resolved.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

It all depends on your definition of 'cyclist'. I'm willing to bet that 10 March was the first time that the assailant had been on a bicycle for years, and it's probably the last (unless he decides to go out and repeat his actions).

At a guess: a driver who got fined and/or lost his licence after helmet bicycle cam footage was used against him. Plod could start by looking back at the past two years to see anyone within a two-mile radius of the attack, who was recently banned due to this.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

As had been said, nobody has any idea about what could have happened prior to the incident. The injured guy could have started something way back!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:It all depends on your definition of 'cyclist'. I'm willing to bet that 10 March was the first time that the assailant had been on a bicycle for years, and it's probably the last (unless he decides to go out and repeat his actions).

At a guess: a driver who got fined and/or lost his licence after helmet bicycle cam footage was used against him. Plod could start by looking back at the past two years to see anyone within a two-mile radius of the attack, who was recently banned due to this.
Maybe, but the assailant looks fairly steady on his bike and is going at a fair speed - more than I would expect an inexperienced cyclist to be doing. Furthermore he has his saddle set fairly high - another indicator of an experienced cyclist. So I think your speculation is wrong.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

something similar happened to me on my motor bike when I hade a small put-put 2 stroke in central London, I seem to have gotten in another m/cyclists way on a big bike and he couldnt over take so tried to kick me off my bike -unfortunatelty for him there was an un marked police car behind him following.....
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:

It all depends on your definition of 'cyclist'. I'm willing to bet that 10 March was the first time that the assailant had been on a bicycle for years, and it's probably the last (unless he decides to go out and repeat his actions).

At a guess
: a driver who got fined and/or lost his licence after helmet bicycle cam footage was used against him. Plod could start by looking back at the past two years to see anyone within a two-mile radius of the attack, who was recently banned due to this.

That's an awful lot of guessing with nothing to base it on.
Richard M
Cardiff
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

richardfm wrote:

At a guess
: a driver who got fined and/or lost his licence after helmet bicycle cam footage was used against him. Plod could start by looking back at the past two years to see anyone within a two-mile radius of the attack, who was recently banned due to this.
j

We should probably move on from the idea that per se cyclists never do wrong. Even in the august company on these pages there are some who have lesser levels of kindness and tolerance than others.
John
londoncommuter0000

Oldjohnw wrote:
richardfm wrote:

At a guess
j

We should probably move on from the idea that per se cyclists never do wrong. Even in the august company on these pages there are some who have lesser levels of kindness and tolerance than others.

Believe me, I have as many prejudices and idiotic thoughts as the next bloke, but one I don't have, is the idea that cyclists 'never do wrong'.

I am just well aware that when it comes to selfishness, arrogance and psychopathy, we cannot ever hope to hold a candle to the most selfish, brutal, arrogant thug the world has ever seen. The British car driver.
--
London is a cesspit
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Oldjohnw wrote:
richardfm wrote:

At a guess
j

And vastly wilder levels of imagination and fantasy :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Meanwhile, back at the vid, I've watched it several times and I'm not much the wiser about what happened. Obviously, I can see there are two riders passing the parked vehicles and one ends up on the floor while the other rides on but little more than that. It just reminds me that CCTV isn't always overwhelming evidence.

One problem with CCTV is that it has to "speak for itself." With something like helmet cam footage, it's only corroborating the evidence of the cameraman - always assuming they survived to give evidence, of course.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am just well aware that when it comes to selfishness, arrogance and psychopathy, we cannot ever hope to hold a candle to the most selfish, brutal, arrogant thug the world has ever seen. The British car driver.

As a British car driver......... :)
John
londoncommuter0000

Oldjohnw wrote:

As a British car driver......... :)

Well, it's like that old truism... not all tories are stupid, but all stupid people are tories.
--
London is a cesspit
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Without wishing to castigate all London motorists - or even cyclists - is there something special about the capital, which causes an 'every man for himself' sort of attitude? In my gentler borders location, I generally eperience courtesy, whether on two wheels or four.
John