Thieves on rampage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
londonbikerider

Thieves on rampage

Post by londonbikerider »

Just saw on Facebook this:
https://cyclingindustry.news/on-your-bi ... ted-theft/

It's getting worse and worse, now they blitz the stores during opening hours threating the staff.
Bonkers!
Cugel

Re: Thieves on rampage

Post by Cugel »

londonbikerider wrote:Just saw on Facebook this:

It's getting worse and worse, now they blitz the stores during opening hours threating the staff.
Bonkers!

Criminals are the new (or is it the old) entrepreneurs. As those in "authority" demonstrate what this means in moral terms (a mixture of the amoral and immoral) those with a yen for riches ape them. It's now quite difficult to differentiate between politicians, businessmen and criminals. .....

....Not that anyone bothers in any practical sense, since the justice system is in meltdown, from lack of policing to inability to run enough courts. Only the easy meat is bothered with, such as cyclists riding on the pavement or a few drug-dealing yoofs.

"Property is theft". This can be interpreted and acted upon in various ways.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Cugel wrote: It's now quite difficult to differentiate between politicians, businessmen and criminals. .....

Now?
Hasn't always been the case? (sad face)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

londonbikerider wrote:
Cugel wrote: It's now quite difficult to differentiate between politicians, businessmen and criminals. .....

Now?
Hasn't always been the case? (sad face)

Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a place near here (well, here) the politicians and businessmen at least put on a public face of being upright moral people. Of course, many were doing dirty deeds in the dark. Still, if one had a light shined on him (or even her) he was remorseful and often prosecuted.

Now they do what they want without any comeback. CEOs and politicians with great power and wealth are brazen in their wrong-doing, with no remorse and, it seems, no punishment.

The National Audit Office (I'm surprised it continues to exist) was always the nemesis for naughty politicians and civil servants, even revealing their naughty business connections and nefarious deeds at times. Here is what the departing head of the NAO thinks about the recent and current situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-billions

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Don't know why but your conversation reminded me of this 17th century poem
"The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from the goose.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who takes things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don’t escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back.
"
NUKe

Post by RickH »

Bonkers!

I think the unusual (edit: put 'usual' by mistake) thing here is that this is a bike shop rather than the mode of theft itself that is of a type more akin to being used for a jewelers or a bank robbery for many years.
Last edited by RickH on 20 Mar 2019, 3:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:

Bonkers!

I think the usual thing here is that this is a bike shop rather than the mode of theft itself that is of a type more akin to being used for a jewelers or a bank robbery for many years.

Yep,the thieves couldn't be more thick.
If I were to commit robbery with violence,I'd be stealing something that was very valuable that I could pocket and readily sell quickly making the risk worthwhile.
Now I know Brommies fold small and can be carried off,they also sell well s/hand but are they that valuable? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:

Bonkers!

I think the usual thing here is that this is a bike shop rather than the mode of theft itself that is of a type more akin to being used for a jewelers or a bank robbery for many years.

Yep,the thieves couldn't be more thick.
If I were to commit robbery with violence,I'd be stealing something that was very valuable that I could pocket and readily sell quickly making the risk worthwhile.
Now I know Brommies fold small and can be carried off,they also sell well s/hand but are they that valuable? :?

more valuable than a phone I guess - and they can ride it for a quick getaway :(
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

One think that amazes me - (n.b. I'm happy for the mods to remove this if not appropriate).... Is that they haven't just used a dodgy card to steal bromptons from a hire facility. :shock:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:Now I know Brommies fold small and can be carried off,they also sell well s/hand but are they that valuable? :?

What are the alternatives?
Returns on house breaking aren't that great and are high risk.
Cars are a pita - and you need some way of getting shut of them.
Lots of shops these days don't really have that much cash, transactions are mainly cards, particularly high value ones.

So really you need goods that are easy to shift and bikes fall right into that category.

You can sell Bromptons all day with no questions asked for close to their new price.
They make more sense than high value mountain bikes since they're so ubiquitous, a high value MTB is much easier to trace because they're pretty rare and they also lose far more once they're off the shop floor.
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:One think that amazes me - (n.b. I'm happy for the mods to remove this if not appropriate).... Is that they haven't just used a dodgy card to steal bromptons from a hire facility. :shock:

Last I knew, you also have to give Brompton direct debit authority on a bank account and let them verify it before you can hire from their facilities. That's good for security and protecting Brompton against theft costs, but bad for being able to register+hire the same day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Now I know Brommies fold small and can be carried off,they also sell well s/hand but are they that valuable? :?

What are the alternatives?
Returns on house breaking aren't that great and are high risk.
Cars are a pita - and you need some way of getting shut of them.
Lots of shops these days don't really have that much cash, transactions are mainly cards, particularly high value ones.

So really you need goods that are easy to shift and bikes fall right into that category.

You can sell Bromptons all day with no questions asked for close to their new price.
They make more sense than high value mountain bikes since they're so ubiquitous, a high value MTB is much easier to trace because they're pretty rare and they also lose far more once they're off the shop floor.

We can only hope they get their fingers trapped when trying to demonstrate the un/fold to a prospective buyer :D
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:Don't know why but your conversation reminded me of this 17th century poem
"The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from the goose.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who takes things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don’t escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back.
"

Don't let the neoliberal capitalists hear you reciting that,they'll be labeling you a communist :shock: :wink:
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

reohn2 wrote:Don't let the neoliberal capitalists hear you reciting that,they'll be labeling you a communist :shock: :wink:

Understood Comrade :)
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Don't let the neoliberal capitalists hear you reciting that,they'll be labeling you a communist :shock: :wink:

Understood Comrade :)

:wink:
W H Auden