Charity ride Penzance to Papworth - route advice please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisF

Charity ride Penzance to Papworth - route advice please

Post by ChrisF »

Some friends are planning a charity relay ride from Penzance to Papworth Hospital (near Cambridge) in early May, and I'm planning a route for them. We'd be grateful if anyone local to various areas can check my route and/or offer alternatives.
The current route is here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29485117. It will be starting at noon one day, finishing at noon the next (24 hours, about 340 miles). There will be a support car and the 3 riders will be doing 2-hour shifts (one riding, one driving, one resting, although there may be a second driver as well). With an average speed requirement of over 14mph , and having the support car, off-road routes have been avoided.
To save time and to make navigation easier I have planned some city centre sections (e.g. Taunton, Wells, Bath) during the night period when it shouldn't be too busy.
Looking for advice for any of the route, really, especially around Bath, Bicester, Bletchley and Bedford - we're OK for the Cornwall part since we all live there. Not totally happy with Exeter but avoiding it would mean fiddly lanes and extra hills (it will be around 8pm there so shouldn't be too busy).

And, if you're interested, the details of the charity are here https://www.papworthhospitalcharity.org ... -beat-drop

Thanks in advance
Chris F, Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Re: Charity ride Penzance to Papworth - route advice please

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, the tragedy of drive-cycling again, lots of motoring and a questionable timetable 2:2:2 hours, exhausting, Minus One
For good reasons there are restrictions on hours of work, one should apply them to leisure too
Even the RN has 4:4 shifts but I would not fancy that either (50/50), you are planning 66/33, no!

Much better to do circuits locally, get publicity for a cycling event **without** motoring, a great USP! (unique?), much cheaper to organise, the cash saved could be donated, I might donate to that but certainly not donate a penny to the planned TDC event
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
paddler

Post by paddler »

ChrisF wrote:Some friends are planning a charity relay ride from Penzance to Papworth Hospital (near Cambridge) in early May, and I'm planning a route for them. We'd be grateful if anyone local to various areas can check my route and/or offer alternatives.
The current route is here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29485117. It will be starting at noon one day, finishing at noon the next (24 hours, about 340 miles). There will be a support car and the 3 riders will be doing 2-hour shifts (one riding, one driving, one resting, although there may be a second driver as well). With an average speed requirement of over 14mph , and having the support car, off-road routes have been avoided.
To save time and to make navigation easier I have planned some city centre sections (e.g. Taunton, Wells, Bath) during the night period when it shouldn't be too busy.
Looking for advice for any of the route, really, especially around Bath, Bicester, Bletchley and Bedford - we're OK for the Cornwall part since we all live there. Not totally happy with Exeter but avoiding it would mean fiddly lanes and extra hills (it will be around 8pm there so shouldn't be too busy).

And, if you're interested, the details of the charity are here https://www.papworthhospitalcharity.org ... -beat-drop

Thanks in advance

Can't help as I don't know the area but best wishes anyway.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, the tragedy of drive-cycling again, lots of motoring and a questionable timetable 2:2:2 hours, exhausting, Minus One
For good reasons there are restrictions on hours of work, one should apply them to leisure too
Even the RN has 4:4 shifts but I would not fancy that either (50/50), you are planning 66/33, no!

Much better to do circuits locally, get publicity for a cycling event **without** motoring, a great USP! (unique?), much cheaper to organise, the cash saved could be donated, I might donate to that but certainly not donate a penny to the planned TDC event

Might you give up your own car completely as you feel so strongly about them?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No real comments about your route, but I do have suggestions down at this end.
Instead of going south of Bodmin Moor, it's easier and arguably faster to go north of it via Wadebridge and Camelford, then east on the A395, turning off for Egloskerry to join you programmed route along the Old A30.

Then at Okehampton, instead of following the Old A30 all the way to Exeter, turn northeast and go via Bow and Crediton.
Follow Rob's Passage to avoid the Cadbury Hills, and pop out at Bickleigh, then go via Tiverton, Halberton, Samford Peverell, cross the M5 and join the A38.

Rob's Passage is a delight.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29204

Old link, so this one is better maybe.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=108933
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

paddler wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh :wink: no, the tragedy of drive-cycling again, lots of motoring and a questionable timetable 2:2:2 hours, exhausting, Minus One

My main point here is the schedule, driving 2h,cycling 2h,resting 2h, one would get awfully tired
There are good reasons why commercial drivers hours are limited, anyone disagree? Could I make a donation on condition that the event as described does not take place?
I hope to give up my vehicle soon and do without in retirement, to have much more Life, might take up paddling :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
paddler

Post by paddler »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
paddler wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh :wink: no, the tragedy of drive-cycling again, lots of motoring and a questionable timetable 2:2:2 hours, exhausting, Minus One

My main point here is the schedule, driving 2h,cycling 2h,resting 2h, one would get awfully tired
There are good reasons why commercial drivers hours are limited, anyone disagree? Could I make a donation on condition that the event as described does not take place?
I hope to give up my vehicle soon and do without in retirement, to have much more Life, might take up paddling :wink:

Paddling is great, I built my own canoe out of cedar. Getting it to the river is the problem...... :D
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Getting it to the river is the problem......

Put it on the top of the car and drive it there, problem solved. :P
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Cyril Haearn wrote:My main point here is the schedule, driving 2h,cycling 2h,resting 2h, one would get awfully tired

Thanks for your point, Cyril Haearn. You could be right. As mentioned, we are trying to organise a second driver - which would mean (on average) 2 hours riding, 2 hours driving, 4 hours rest (I think!)
Chris F, Cornwall
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Mick F wrote:No real comments about your route, but I do have suggestions down at this end.
Instead of going south of Bodmin Moor, it's easier and arguably faster to go north of it via Wadebridge and Camelford, then east on the A395, turning off for Egloskerry to join you programmed route along the Old A30.

Then at Okehampton, instead of following the Old A30 all the way to Exeter, turn northeast and go via Bow and Crediton.
Follow Rob's Passage to avoid the Cadbury Hills, and pop out at Bickleigh, then go via Tiverton, Halberton, Samford Peverell, cross the M5 and join the A38.

Thanks, Mick. I think we've already decided that north of Bodmin Moor is better than south. Your suggestion of using Crediton/Rob's Passage is good, especially if it's a tried and tested LeJog route. We'll look at it in detail.
Chris F, Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

As mentioned, we are trying to organise a second driver - which would mean (on average) 2 hours riding, 2 hours driving, 4 hours rest (I think!)

Chris, In my opinion having seen many of these types of events, that riding for an hour each and rotating on that schedule will be much better for the riders. Having 4 hours off the bike then back on - particularly during the night hours when it gets colder and the riders tireder - will be hard on motivation and the body. For what it's worth, RAAM (Race across America) teams most often work on a thirty minute schedule to keep the body warm and flexible. I know you are not racing, but the process is similar.
RickH

Post by RickH »

ChrisF wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:My main point here is the schedule, driving 2h,cycling 2h,resting 2h, one would get awfully tired

Thanks for your point, Cyril Haearn. You could be right. As mentioned, we are trying to organise a second driver - which would mean (on average) 2 hours riding, 2 hours driving, 4 hours rest (I think!)

If you've only got 3 riders then, with 2 hour shifts, they can never have more than 4 hours off the bike (or other timings in proportion to riding shifts). To do 2/2/4 you need a 4th rider.

I think riding & driving will be hard, not to mention potentially dangerous by the end of the night. I've certainly found it hard sometimes to continue driving after a long ride. Driving home it isn't generally a problem to stop & rest but a support car is a different matter. I reckon riding or driving would be better, even if it meant 2 riders plus 2 drivers.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
paddler

Post by paddler »

charliepolecat wrote:
Getting it to the river is the problem......

Put it on the top of the car and drive it there, problem solved. :P

You've got it! :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

The route through Taunton is definitely night-only IMO using the Obridge viaduct. It also does a lap of a dual carriageway on the way out which you might like to adjust.

The stretch north of Oxford could also be quite busy at peak times.

Bicester. I've driven there often, never cycled, but I wouldn't ride the ring road. I'd continue through Chesterton, cross the A41, then head straight through the centre on Oxford Road and Buckingham Road. Traffic there is calmed and usually slow (which is why I drive the ring road unless I intend to stop).

Bletchley. I've not ridden that far south of it so I'm no help with that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Surely there are volunteers with the charity you are riding for in your area?
They could drive a minibus and support? Allowing you to concentrate on riding and resting?

Just a thought?

Cheers James