cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:IMO it cannot be right that if you drive badly and collide with a stranger, then the next step should depend on the charity of the victim.
IMO too.
It cannot be right.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:IMO it cannot be right that if you drive badly and collide with a stranger, then the next step should depend on the charity of the victim.
IMO too.
It cannot be right.

Did it depend on him?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:
IMO too.
It cannot be right.

I would hope that the video evidence in this incident of the driver on the wrong side of the road was enough for a prosecution. The collision with the cyclist was secondary to the fact.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

peetee wrote:
Mick F wrote:
IMO too.
It cannot be right.

I would hope that the video evidence in this incident of the driver on the wrong side of the road was enough for a prosecution. The collision with the cyclist was secondary to the fact.

That video sans the collision with the cyclist wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, one suspects, much less a prosecution with the level of severity you suggest should be attached to it.
robing

Post by robing »

A prosecution and hefty claim will also rightly make the driver's insurance sky rocket. Without that the premium might not be affected.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

robing wrote:A prosecution and hefty claim will also rightly make the driver's insurance sky rocket. Without that the premium might not be affected.

Premium not affected - in what parallel universe might that be the case, I wonder? The reports say that both damage and a personal injury claim is in the hands of the BMW driver's insurers, and quite rightly so.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

That's a very Christian attitude from the victim. Personally I'd squeeze him so hard his ancestors would squirm, but it's his call.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:That's a very Christian attitude from the victim. Personally I'd squeeze him so hard his ancestors would squirm, but it's his call.

thats also a very christian viewpoint also - burn him at the stake or hang draw and quarter him :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

mercalia wrote: thats also a very christian viewpoint also - burn him at the stake or hang draw and quarter him :wink:

Heh heh. We need a "like" function for posts like this :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Spinners wrote:
Vantage wrote:I see this sort of driving so often that I frankly refuse to wait at the right side of the lane. Smack bang in the middle is where I stop and even then the numpties try to take off my front wheel at times.

Me three.

I'm the opposite, I'll always hold my line on approach to a junction that's close to the centre line, if I see a vehicle approaching from the left and I was going to turn left I've often held my initial primary position (rather than turning on the apex) so that the driver has two options, run me over or brake and go in the lane they were supposed to. It riles me something chronic drivers cutting the lane, police are not prosecuting for dangerous driving. I've been doing this for around 25 years.

In another story a cyclist got fined and had court costs of over £500 and threatened by plod that if he forced the issue with regards to careless driving of his assailant they were going to take him to court also, the overall costs were greater for the cyclist than they were for the driver who assaulted the cyclist twice! Police lack of upholding law along with weak CPS and out of touch bias judges, is why we have the free for all so that motorists have no fear whatsoever about repercussions for their micturate poor driving!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting that you make no mention of the Legislature, that many would suggest is showing its true colours at the moment. They ultimately run the show...
Lance Dopestrong

The utility cyclist wrote:In another story a cyclist got fined and had court costs of over £500 and threatened by plod that if he forced the issue with regards to careless driving of his assailant they were going to take him to court also

Can you please name the case, R v who?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:In another story a cyclist got fined and had court costs of over £500 and threatened by plod that if he forced the issue with regards to careless driving of his assailant they were going to take him to court also

Can you please name the case, R v who?

see the road CC forum report https://road.cc/content/news/258829-cyc ... ss-cycling
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

viewtopic.php?p=1342119#p1342119

A summary of the differences in the fines and costs imposed is in that link
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Astonishing. I'm of a similar opinion to Lance DS, prosecute if possible. Many years ago (during a petrol shortage) a workmate riding home was knocked off by a motorist driving with haste into a petrol garage. As he lay injured in the road, the motorist just wound down his window and said 'he'll be alright' as an off-duty nurse did first aid and told the driver a few home truths. My workmate (when I said he should press for charges) said "no point, he's said he'll pay". Fast forward a couple of days and the driver had told Police 'cyclist was riding on pavement', which of course wasn't true. A Police prosecution could have saved a whole lot of aggro. My workmate was fortunate that the many weeks of hospital treatment and inability to work were covered my the employer -others may not be so fortunate.