cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Post by mercalia »

cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road.
I would have wanted the car driver prosecuted. surly the bike wheel was a right-off?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-47749660/windsor-dashcam-footage-captures-car-hitting-cyclist
fastpedaller

Re: cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Post by fastpedaller »

Very lenient of the cyclist to say what he said - I'd at least want a prosecution to happen. Inexcusable driving.
Vantage

Re: cyclist knocked of headon with car cutting corners while turning into side road

Post by Vantage »

I see this sort of driving so often that I frankly refuse to wait at the right side of the lane. Smack bang in the middle is where I stop and even then the numpties try to take off my front wheel at times.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vantage wrote:I see this sort of driving so often that I frankly refuse to wait at the right side of the lane. Smack bang in the middle is where I stop and even then the numpties try to take off my front wheel at times.
Me too.

I'm going to be accused of victim blaming now.
I wouldn't have positioned myself where he did. He was leaving himself open to being hit by an idiot driver.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
Vantage wrote:I see this sort of driving so often that I frankly refuse to wait at the right side of the lane. Smack bang in the middle is where I stop and even then the numpties try to take off my front wheel at times.
Me too.

I'm going to be accused of victim blaming now.
I wouldn't have positioned myself where he did. He was leaving himself open to being hit by an idiot driver.

When I read the article the rider was saying that both he and the driver had learned a lesson IIRC.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mercalia knows I love the way he finds BBC stories days after it’s done and dusted :D

The cyclist "That Berkshire Cyclist" had this to say

FF80C87F-BDA0-4520-9595-239E6ED53052.jpeg

BF52E71A-A5DB-4EEE-AA45-CD4899B9EF6B.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Me three.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think it's fair to say that driving standards in the UK are diabolical,but with a depleted policeforce and and practical free for all on the roads as a result it's only to be expected.
I ride very defensively and expect the unexpected at anytime,nothing surprises on UK roads these days
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I have had 3 occasions in the car over the last couple of weeks where I have had to stop mid-corner. At least one party was driving defensively!

...but the schadenfreude was strong a couple of months ago when the corner-cutter avoided me and ended up fishtailing and eventually came to rest on top of a hedge :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's my impression that an increasing number of drivers turn into junctions without first being in a position to see into the road they are entering. As a pedestrian, I recently came close to being knocked down in the gutter by a driver who turned at speed into a side road completely on his wrong side of the road. ie Had there been a cyclist waiting to turn right in a similar position to the rider in the vid, they'd have been safely passed on their nearside. It's also my impression that an increasing number of drivers approaching junctions on minor roads so in a way which enables to maintain speed and only brake if forced to do so to avoid a crash. If they are intending to turn right into the major road, a combination of that speed and a tactic of positioning their vehicle to make it difficult for drivers on the major road to turn right first, helps bully their way out.

All of this now passes as OK.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:It's my impression that an increasing number of drivers turn into junctions without first being in a position to see into the road they are entering. As a pedestrian, I recently came close to being knocked down in the gutter by a driver who turned at speed into a side road completely on his wrong side of the road. ie Had there been a cyclist waiting to turn right in a similar position to the rider in the vid, they'd have been safely passed on their nearside. It's also my impression that an increasing number of drivers approaching junctions on minor roads so in a way which enables to maintain speed and only brake if forced to do so to avoid a crash. If they are intending to turn right into the major road, a combination of that speed and a tactic of positioning their vehicle to make it difficult for drivers on the major road to turn right first, helps bully their way out.

All of this now passes as OK.

You missed the bit whereby the speed of approach means that the driver on the major road isn't sure that they are going to stop, and consequently has to brake.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

From the cyclist's statement:
The driver is to go on a driver's awareness course.
That's exactly what happened to my 'rogue driver' who knocked me off back in 2012 - turning right across my path. I presume that means the police were involved in this case - I believe only they can refer a motorist to one of these courses.

Seems a reasonable outcome at first sight - but how efficacious are these courses? I was satisfied with the judgement in my case, but others have since said that they have little or no effect on the unreconstructed idiots...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
peetee

Post by peetee »

Two things going on here:
1. The driver should have been able to see the cyclist above the other car way before he turned.
2. The driver cut the corner and could have therefore collided with a vehicle if it was approaching to turn right.

To my mind that is driving without due care and attention, driving recklessly, driving under the influence or a combination of.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
robing

Post by robing »

Should be a prosecution, end of. Careless driving minimum.
Plus the cyclist should claim for any possible personal injury and damage to bike, clothing, equipment etc.

There is a tendency to say we wouldn't have done that etc out himself in a vulnerable position but we shouldn't have to put up with dangerous numpties like this behind the wheel. A prosecution plus claims for costs are the only way they will learn from their mistakes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

robing wrote:Should be a prosecution, end of. Careless driving minimum.
Plus the cyclist should claim for any possible personal injury and damage to bike, clothing, equipment etc.

There is a tendency to say we wouldn't have done that etc out himself in a vulnerable position but we shouldn't have to put up with dangerous numpties like this behind the wheel. A prosecution plus claims for costs are the only way they will learn from their mistakes.

Yep, prosecute him, he will have learned nothing from the incident and will continue to be a menace.