Uphill, downhill, both, neither?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Cycling uphill or down, preference?

Poll ended at 21 May 2019, 7:57am

Prefer ascending
18%
Prefer descending
23%
Love both
45%
Prefer no hills
15%

Total votes: 40

pedalsheep

Re: Uphill, downhill, both, neither?

Post by pedalsheep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Alps, I would love to ride up at 7 kmh but I would be terrified of going down at 70 kmh :?

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pedalsheep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The Alps, I would love to ride up at 7 kmh but I would be terrified of going down at 70 kmh :?

I don't go that fast on the hill home & I know it very well. 50 or 55 kph on familiar territory is quite fast enough. I guess I occasionally get up 60ish. I don't have a computer, so I'm not certain what my top speed is. I probably went 70 kph when I was oyung and foolish :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pedalsheep wrote:

We could team up with some crazy downhillers and share bikes, you and I get the bus or rack-railway down the hill :wink:
Actually on some of the big passes there are significant downhill bits on the way up :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

In my DH MTB days the downs were always a reward for the effort going up.Going down the motto was "speed is your friend" especially on rooty/rocky/rutted terrain.
Now I'm 90% Road only I apply the same Philosophy.I enjoy the long twisty climbs but enjoy the long,twisty,fast descents a little bit more 8) Over taking cars going down the descents in Mallorca is a real buzz and just makes you want to go faster :mrgreen:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mountain biking uphill is seriously tiring/hard, not just fighting the steepness but often the ground itself, hardly surprising that 20T inner rings were common place. I wonder how having a 20/36 - 15" bottom, compares to get up an absolute pig of a climb riding a 36 ring and a dustbin lid 50 on a 1x setup knowing you don't have the bottom gear nor the top gear so are grinding like crazy going up something really steep/muddy and spinning out because you're limited at top end! This is were I don't get the benefits of a 1x system when you're riding extremes of up and down hill either on or off road.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'm not built for climbing but out of necessity I've come to a point where I might not 'enjoy' it but do have some satisfaction in reaching the top. Living at @ 160m means even 'flat' rides can have significant metres included - its rare to do a ride with anything less than 1000m of ascent! And of course what goes up so zipping downhill features in most rides too - in these parts that's often several kilometres with double figure gradients, unless you like changing brake pads/blocks you learn to go down quickly.

For me, there's nothing more boring than a pan flat ride, you get neither the free ride downhill nor the break from monotony of going up, its a grind for the whole ride without a break. I do enjoy Alpine passes going up and down, there's a degree of accomplishment at the summit and a buzz from getting down in one piece! I try to avoid looking at the comp when descending - I'm a coward at heart and speeds of over 90kph have been seen! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Riding on the flat is only boring if you decide to make it that way, you can change your pace and tempo any time you like, you have more time to look around you than when coming downhill or uphill when you're more focused on your effort and the road ahead when you're at higher speeds. You can stop and not lose momentum as if you were on the down and not lose your rhythm when going up, and rarely is anywhere absolutely flat for miles on end, only routes taken for record breaking as per Amanda Coker when she cycled on a loop circuit with zero altitude gain, that's probably as close to 'boring' as cycling could be.
I simply never understand people that say cycling is boring because of flat terrain, unchallenging maybe :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a useful little ramp near me to get down to the canal
I walk down, it is frighteningly steep, would not fancy it in winter, would not try riding up either
Signs at top and bottom instruct PoBs to dismount but many do not, some climb up in a 22" gear, some ride down
Which is stupider? Riding down, I think :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies