Doh! SPD Moment but reversed.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
irc

Doh! SPD Moment but reversed.

Post by irc »

I was returning my son's tourer to his flat yesterday. The saddle was about 3 inches too low for me but it was only 5 miles so I just left it. That was interesting but after a mile or two not too bad albeit very inefficient.

At one point I was doing 18-20 down a gentle hill on a busy main road. I was taking the next right but realised I wouldn't get round before a long line of cars coming the other way blocked it. A shoulder check and I was clear behind but more cars were on their way. Not fancying coming to a halt on the centre line squeezed between the two lines of cars I cut the corner and aimed to get on the footway a few yards short of the junction and so get round before the oncoming cars.

Quite a high kerb though. So slowed to 5 or 10mph, stood up on the pedals, lifted the front wheel over the kerb, then went to lift the back. Forgetting that while all my bikes have SPDs my son uses flat pedals. Doh! Feet off the pedals, the back wheel clunking against the kerb at less than 90 degrees, and me a sort of half sideways and half forward fall onto the pavement sort of rolling onto my shoulder.

No damage to the bike! Today my right wrist is a touch tender but not actually sprained and I can feel a very slight bruise on my shoulder. I wasn't wearing a helmet so can't say whether one would have saved my life :-)

It's my worst cycling injuries for many years. Learning points - don't ride other peoples bikes and if you have to be much more careful.

Needless to say apart from the various passing cars there was a few pedestrians as an audience. My most embarrassing fall since I started using SPDs 20 odd years ago and chose the crowded car park at Loch Katrine on a bank holiday to fall slowly sideways after coming to a momentary halt while dropping a banana skin in a bin.
pwa

Re: Doh! SPD Moment but reversed.

Post by pwa »

As all real cyclists know, so long as the bike is uninjured all is well.