No Its Not A Mobile Phone!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: No Its Not A Mobile Phone!!!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So long as you replace “in place of” with “alongside” anti depressants then you can get another vote as well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Can you be done for upskirting yourself!!!
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Shame they didn't pay extra for the deluxe version of this detector, the one that tasers drivers using a phone.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

TBH....
Im not sure plod are that bothered,
Recently i was walking to school to pick up daughter when a van th the company name , address and phone number came past window down and the driver clearly on the phone.He was driving past the school at coming out time and as a local knows when the hot spot time is .
reported it to the police with all details and i got a reply that they wouldn't prosecute due to lack of evidence.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CyberKnight wrote:TBH....
Im not sure plod are that bothered,
Recently i was walking to school to pick up daughter when a van th the company name , address and phone number came past window down and the driver clearly on the phone.He was driving past the school at coming out time and as a local knows when the hot spot time is .
reported it to the police with all details and i got a reply that they wouldn't prosecute due to lack of evidence.

You could try taking this up with your local police and crime commissioner, not as a complaint about the incident you reported, but the lack of priority given in his police and crime plan given to protection of vulnerable road users.

Here are his details:

https://www.derbyshire-pcc.gov.uk/Your- ... e-PCC.aspx

Info about the police and crime plan is buried deep but there's a summary here, and with it a link to the plan itself

https://www.derbyshire-pcc.gov.uk/Your- ... -Plan.aspx

Threat and risk in Derbyshire
Many factors have influenced the future direction of crime prevention in Derbyshire. The priorities which have been set have been guided by public opinion as well as evidence from our partners of the key risks and threats facing the county in terms of crime. Issues raised in the Home Secretary’s Strategic Policing Requirement are also critical to our future plans.

The key threats to safety are:

• Cyber Crime (Digital gap & Vulnerability)
• Domestic Abuse
• Domestic Extremism
• Human Trafficking
• Immigration Crime
• Modern Slavery
• Rape & Sexual Assault
• Organised Crime
• Protecting Vulnerable Children (Child Abuse & CSE)
• Sexual Violence (FGM/Forced Marriage)
• ASB
• Cultural difference
• Lack of engagement
• Substance misuse
• Data quality
• Skills & Diversity of Workforce
• Technology
• Too much silo working

No obvious reference to traffic policing there although some of the bullet points are so vague they could cover anything.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our car, and the last one, had bluetooth for phone calls.
The phone could even be in the boot and you could still make/receive calls via the car's speaker and microphone. All controlled by a button or two on the steering wheel.

How would this new police device cope with cars like ours?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:Our car, and the last one, had bluetooth for phone calls.
The phone could even be in the boot and you could still make/receive calls via the car's speaker and microphone. All controlled by a button or two on the steering wheel.

How would this new police device cope with cars like ours?

Clearly, it woudn't, but that's not the end of it. Prevention is better than detection but when something goes seriously wrong, the scope for detection is still there.

The observable offences of using a hand-held phone and not having proper control are not exclusive: phone records can be analysed and are used to support allegations that a driver was distracted as part of a dangerous/ careless driving prosecution.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The newer models of our Yaris have internet available on the screen.
Theoretically, you could be on this very forum whilst driving! :shock:

This one has satnav showing, but you get the idea.
toyota_yaris_bi-tone_69.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Mick F wrote:The newer models of our Yaris have internet available on the screen.
Theoretically, you could be on this very forum whilst driving! :shock:

This one has satnav showing, but you get the idea.toyota_yaris_bi-tone_69.jpeg

That's kind of scary. Soon private life will have disappeared altogether.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are plenty of driver distractions which don't need modern technology. On my walk back from the newsagent's this morning, even at my geriatric ambling speed I was keeping up, more or less, with the long queue of traffic. I noticed a woman driver who was doing her mascara, when both stationary and moving. Did that affect her ability to drive with due care and attention? Who knows? There's a bus stop just before the lights which are the reason for the queue. A bus made a clearly signalled stop and instead of overtaking, she was so close behind the bus she could not do so. Perhaps she'd have done the same without the mascara brush in one hand. Many others were stuck behind her, some checking their phones.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F used to be the Lollipop Lady in the village. She did the job for ten years, and in the mornings, she was accompanied by our faithful Rascal border collie.

She would tell you that she all sorts of things being done by the drivers.
Amongst others: makeup, shaving, cleaning teeth, combing hair, checking themselves in the mirror, eating, drinking .............. all whist being driven through the middle of the village.
Lollipop1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The future is Android Auto using your phone. When I bought my SEAT Ateca a couple of years ago I was offered the optional sat nav at £500 odd. But the Ateca can use Android Auto by connecting your phone to its centre console display. I really like Google Maps directions which with Android Auto now appear on the Atecas centre console,, they give you real time journey duration and arrival time, show the slow sections in amber and traffic delays in red with a jam duration time and Maps always puts you on the fastest route. Its all voice controlled, just say " OK Google directions to PL22 7PJ" and you are off. Say "OK Google phone Jim mobile" and it phones him. Just say "OK Google play Hey Jude by the Beatles on Spotify" and it plays it. Maps now warns you of speed cameras too. You can even say " OK Google whats the weight of a blue whale?" and it will tell you.

At the moment you simply connect your phone to a USB cable when you get in the car and if you have set up the car and the phone correctly it connects with the cars central console. Its all hands free so its safer than using the touch screen IMO.

Google are also going to get all these functions built into the car in future.

The Ateca has its own stuff built in but its all touch screen driven and in my opinion dangerous to use whilst driving, and its far inferior.

I dont know how the cops mobile phone detectors will view my setup? I think its pretty safe.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

I don't think points on a licence are an actual deterrent - certainly not around where I cycle in London and Edinburgh.. I'd like to push for the driver's phone/ipad either confiscated or rendered inoperable with a hammer at the roadside. Most drivers texting/instagramming/etc clearly can't bear to be parted from their devices so the threat of no phone would be a much harsher punishment.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Applying makeup when driving
Perfectly disgusting :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Applying makeup when driving
Perfectly disgusting :(

Ah, was it you giving me funny looks when I was applying my lippie at the lights the other day? :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.