How did this happen?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodT

How did this happen?

Post by RodT »

Came back four days ago from a short local ride ( to choir practice, if you want to know) with everything working perfectly. Dismounted, pushed the bike into its stable (my living room) and made tea. Today I set out on a long afternoon ride and within half-a-mile discovered that the rear brake had developed a loud squeal and the rear mech indexing was completely out. I could only use the top four cogs. Sorted everything out and continued my ride.
That bike had hardly been out of my sight. Nobody else had ridden it. So how could it develop such problems while leaning against the cupboard at the bottom of the stairs for four days?
gaz

Re: How did this happen?

Post by gaz »

It's not a natural state of being for a bicycle to be left indoors for days on end. They need regular exercise.

Little wonder it's cross with you and demanding attention :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

RodT wrote:Came back four days ago from a short local ride ( to choir practice, if you want to know) with everything working perfectly. Dismounted, pushed the bike into its stable (my living room) and made tea. Today I set out on a long afternoon ride and within half-a-mile discovered that the rear brake had developed a loud squeal and the rear mech indexing was completely out. I could only use the top four cogs. Sorted everything out and continued my ride.
That bike had hardly been out of my sight. Nobody else had ridden it. So how could it develop such problems while leaning against the cupboard at the bottom of the stairs for four days?

You leant it agin' a radiator that then malfunctioned, heating the bicycle by an inordinate amount thus causing various parts to expand, buckle, warp, reconfigure and otherwise become problematical. Tha radiator then cooled down, as did the bike; but the contractions of it's parts did not put them once more aright. Small but significant warpage remained!

You retrieved the now reconfigured machine but didn't notice the subtle changes to it's innard until it became tired of being ridden whilst ill so made a complaint in your direction.

Neglect. Report made to the RSPCB.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

You had a visit from a curious (gran?) child?
peetee

Post by peetee »

It's miffed cos you only made tea for yourself.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

A guy at work loved his bike so much that he cleaned it thoroughly after every trip including removing all that nasty black stuff on the chain and cassette ready to re-oil (lightly) before the next ride.

He cycled to work in the drizzle one day and seeing heavier rain forecast for the journey home, left his bike in the nice warm office over the weekend.

Come Monday his entire transmission was a rigid lump of rusty metal.

My bikes prefer being well oiled, a little dirty and housed in a drafty cool garage :D
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

It's burglars. Been a spate of this type of goings on of late.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Choir practise, did you sing on the way home. Lamentations it's trying to join in with you. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just loving these comments.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Is it possible the bike was upset because you were riding something else ( :oops: ) in the living room? :shock:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

:?:
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Bikes are temperamental creatures at the best of times easily taken to snits, so no knowing why any part of one should take it into its head to disintegrate. I used to have a stationary bike - but admittedly not in the living room - and whenever I would ride it, any one of my bikes would take it into their heads to sulk the next time it became their turn.
RodT

Post by RodT »

Ok. There was no radiator involved. My bike doesn’t take tea, only Muc-Off dry lube. I didn’t sing on the way home on account of not wanting to swallow gnats and flies ( the farmers are muck-spreading round here). There is no evidence of a break-in ( the bike, being the most valuable object, would have been stolen). My grand- children are safe at home in Surrey. The bike is now feeling embarrassed by all the attention.
Thanks everybody for such inventive and entertaining suggestions.
RodT

Post by RodT »

Oh, and there has been no extra-curricular activity in my living room for I don’t know how long.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What was in thencupboard you leant it against? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden