High Peak trail

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
resus1uk

High Peak trail

Post by resus1uk »

On Wednesday, just in time for Easter, the bridge over the B5056 Longcliffe to Brassington road was accidentally demolished by a big truck. It will have to be completely rebuilt. Difficult diversion as it means leaving the trail and getting back on around cuttings and embankments with little normal access from surrounding roads.
sjs

Re: High Peak trail

Post by sjs »

resus1uk wrote:On Wednesday, just in time for Easter, the bridge over the B5056 Longcliffe to Brassington road was accidentally demolished by a big truck. It will have to be completely rebuilt. Difficult diversion as it means leaving the trail and getting back on around cuttings and embankments with little normal access from surrounding roads.

I'd recommend including the Gate pub at Brassington in any diversion.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Is the road open or has that got a diversion too? Guess it will be low priority to be done and in the meantime those 'kin trucks will keep on using the road.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:Is the road open or has that got a diversion too? Guess it will be low priority to be done and in the meantime those 'kin trucks will keep on using the road.

News stories said road re-opened same day. Some pictures here as well, made such a mess of it they had to pull the rest down. Story says it's listed so they'll try and reuse as much original material as possible, so it's not going to be quick. Luckily no one was hurt, I feel sorry for the bike hire place at Middleton Top, it'll effect their business.
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/l ... ry-2774262
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

I was staying with my Aunt in Stoke-on-Trent last week and drove over to Parsley Hay on Thursday with my bike in the back. I had intended to do the High Peak trail along with parts of the Tissington Trail. I was very disappointed not to be able to complete the trail and as I did not know the area at all, I ended up just cycling down into Ashbourne and then all the way up the Tissington Trail. Hoping to return to the area at some point this year, but it looks like this will be a long job. Things didn't seem to go right at all on that day, there was a crash between Endon and Leek, so took ages to get through, then this crash and finally had a problem with my car on the way back to Endon. Better luck next time.