shared use

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2060
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: shared use

Postby Cugel » 23 Apr 2019, 8:53am

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Walking (running) a dog when cycling, how stupid can one be?


I dunno. A cycling dog seems pretty clever to me.


If it was not only cycling but doing so one-handed (one-pawed would be more accurate) it must have been a collie. Were you to have interrogated it, the collie would have explained that it's cycling skill was a trifle necessary in pursuit of a higher goal,such as getting to the dog treat shop faster, with the human in the right mood for buying the treats because everyone has admired their cycling collie.

Cugel

reohn2
Posts: 34680
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: shared use

Postby reohn2 » 23 Apr 2019, 9:00am

What's wrong with dog owners?

They're a cross section of humanity :wink: .

I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4367
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: shared use

Postby RickH » 23 Apr 2019, 10:48am

reohn2 wrote:I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.

Bikejoring: The sport where dogs pull cyclists along (BBC link)
An international sport it seems. :D

tatanab
Posts: 3706
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: shared use

Postby tatanab » 23 Apr 2019, 11:34am

RickH wrote:An international sport it seems. :D
As seen in France 30 years ago. Dogs attached to bicycles or runners and also "chariots".

IMG_20190423_0001.jpg

reohn2
Posts: 34680
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: shared use

Postby reohn2 » 23 Apr 2019, 4:55pm

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.

Bikejoring: The sport where dogs pull cyclists along (BBC link)
An international sport it seems. :D

No,the one I saw was definitely an idiot :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13096
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: shared use

Postby mjr » 23 Apr 2019, 5:15pm

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.

Bikejoring: The sport where dogs pull cyclists along (BBC link)
An international sport it seems. :D

No,the one I saw was definitely an idiot :wink:

The dog gets more exercise without being allowed to run wild near a cycling route while the owner does more cycling, probably without driving somewhere to cycle. What's not to like? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Postboxer
Posts: 1414
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: shared use

Postby Postboxer » 23 Apr 2019, 10:19pm

It's got to be better than the people you see walking dogs out of car windows.

Edit to add - Better being a comparative term.

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2578
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: shared use

Postby Vantage » 24 Apr 2019, 7:55am

35+ years of being a cyclist and I've never ever hit an animal or person. Not once.
Sure, I've had them run/jump out in front of me and once or twice it was a close call, but I've never had to brake so sharp that I lost control of the bike. Maybe it's because I slow right down to a safe speed when passing?
I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

User avatar
Lance Dopestrong
Posts: 1227
Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 1:52pm

Re: shared use

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 24 Apr 2019, 8:40am

Good grief...you mean to tell me that you read the road ahead, and adjust your speed and positioning to suit the environment? I thought i was the only one!
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

BrightonRock
Posts: 116
Joined: 4 Apr 2019, 7:37am

Re: shared use

Postby BrightonRock » 24 Apr 2019, 8:50am

Shared use is a nightmare. I nearly killed a dog a few years ago when it ran out of nowhere, and I've seen one near cut in two by a mountain biker. But it's the falling off danger they represent to cyclists is the worst. Are must dog owners insured for a 5 million quid cause of death claim?

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2578
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: shared use

Postby Vantage » 24 Apr 2019, 9:15am

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Good grief...you mean to tell me that you read the road ahead, and adjust your speed and positioning to suit the environment? I thought i was the only one!


:lol:
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

nez
Posts: 1571
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: shared use

Postby nez » 24 Apr 2019, 9:55am

Trolls or fools.

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2578
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: shared use

Postby Vantage » 24 Apr 2019, 1:00pm

Not a troll.
Certainly not a fool. I'm not the one crashing into dogs pal.
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

PH
Posts: 7129
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: shared use

Postby PH » 24 Apr 2019, 1:53pm

Vantage wrote:I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.

That's a matter of luck as much as judgment, I hit a pedestrian at a set of lights last week. They stepped out in front of my as I was pulling away, they were stopped in conversation as I sat there waiting for the lights to change and simply stepped out without any indication that they were going to do so. There would have been nothing you or anyone else could have done to avoid it.

nez
Posts: 1571
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: shared use

Postby nez » 24 Apr 2019, 1:57pm

PH wrote:
Vantage wrote:I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.

That's a matter of luck as much as judgment, I hit a pedestrian at a set of lights last week. They stepped out in front of my as I was pulling away, they were stopped in conversation as I sat there waiting for the lights to change and simply stepped out without any indication that they were going to do so. There would have been nothing you or anyone else could have done to avoid it.


You might say the pedestrian hit you. I certainly think the dog hit me. It's extraordinary how some people fall for this Daily Mail type 'cyclist hits car (pedestrian/dog)' nonsense.