shared use

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: shared use

Post by Cugel »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Walking (running) a dog when cycling, how stupid can one be?

I dunno. A cycling dog seems pretty clever to me.

If it was not only cycling but doing so one-handed (one-pawed would be more accurate) it must have been a collie. Were you to have interrogated it, the collie would have explained that it's cycling skill was a trifle necessary in pursuit of a higher goal,such as getting to the dog treat shop faster, with the human in the right mood for buying the treats because everyone has admired their cycling collie.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What's wrong with dog owners?

They're a cross section of humanity :wink: .

I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.

Bikejoring: The sport where dogs pull cyclists along (BBC link)
An international sport it seems. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

RickH wrote:An international sport it seems. :D
As seen in France 30 years ago. Dogs attached to bicycles or runners and also "chariots".

IMG_20190423_0001.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I saw a chap on a bike with a dog pulling him along coming the opposite way on the uneven and narrowish L&L towpath on Saturday,it's just a matter of time.

Idiot.

No,the one I saw was definitely an idiot :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:

Idiot.

No,the one I saw was definitely an idiot :wink:

The dog gets more exercise without being allowed to run wild near a cycling route while the owner does more cycling, probably without driving somewhere to cycle. What's not to like? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It's got to be better than the people you see walking dogs out of car windows.

Edit to add - Better being a comparative term.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

35+ years of being a cyclist and I've never ever hit an animal or person. Not once.
Sure, I've had them run/jump out in front of me and once or twice it was a close call, but I've never had to brake so sharp that I lost control of the bike. Maybe it's because I slow right down to a safe speed when passing?
I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Good grief...you mean to tell me that you read the road ahead, and adjust your speed and positioning to suit the environment? I thought i was the only one!
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Shared use is a nightmare. I nearly killed a dog a few years ago when it ran out of nowhere, and I've seen one near cut in two by a mountain biker. But it's the falling off danger they represent to cyclists is the worst. Are must dog owners insured for a 5 million quid cause of death claim?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Good grief...you mean to tell me that you read the road ahead, and adjust your speed and positioning to suit the environment? I thought i was the only one!

:lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
nez

Post by nez »

Trolls or fools.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not a troll.
Certainly not a fool. I'm not the one crashing into dogs pal.
Bill

PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote:I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.

That's a matter of luck as much as judgment, I hit a pedestrian at a set of lights last week. They stepped out in front of my as I was pulling away, they were stopped in conversation as I sat there waiting for the lights to change and simply stepped out without any indication that they were going to do so. There would have been nothing you or anyone else could have done to avoid it.
nez

Post by nez »

PH wrote:
Vantage wrote:I dunno. Some cyclists eh? Need to learn to ride their bikes.

That's a matter of luck as much as judgment, I hit a pedestrian at a set of lights last week. They stepped out in front of my as I was pulling away, they were stopped in conversation as I sat there waiting for the lights to change and simply stepped out without any indication that they were going to do so. There would have been nothing you or anyone else could have done to avoid it.

You might say the pedestrian hit you. I certainly think the dog hit me. It's extraordinary how some people fall for this Daily Mail type 'cyclist hits car (pedestrian/dog)' nonsense.