Bike not permitted in hostel : bike knicked overnight outside

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: What a plonker?

Postby PH » 24 Apr 2019, 7:15pm

Here's the European bike stealing championships, London didn't even make it onto the podium
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2015 ... n-numbers/

Your English memories seem to come straight from John Major. It's a shame this guy got his bike nicked, I've seen no evidence that it would have been any less likely in any other European capital.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 24 Apr 2019, 7:28pm

PH wrote:Here's the European bike stealing championships, London didn't even make it onto the podium
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2015 ... n-numbers/

Your English memories seem to come straight from John Major. It's a shame this guy got his bike nicked, I've seen no evidence that it would have been any less likely in any other European capital.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
I note the said bike in Amsterdam was a "bait" bike?
And the article says" we tested the bike stealing in Amsterdam, Rome and Prague". Only?

But I see huge bike parks in European stations. Bikes two high. I have never had a problem. Though I know someone that had his tyres let down twice!
At home in Wales bike security is a easy cable lock. Theft is rare.

Personally I see petty theft in (mostly urban) England as part of a wider malaise.
I could never live there again because I value the feeling and freedom of a broadly honest society.
It is my ( perhaps errant) perception that much of England no longer fits this description.
It's not anti English by the way just a comment on a societal direction.
Still I have the benefit of sometimes looking in from the outside.

Why don't you start earlier suggested poll?
It might be interesting.

PH

Postby PH » 24 Apr 2019, 8:16pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:Why don't you start earlier suggested poll?
It might be interesting.

Because it would be far too anecdotal and there's already plenty of data available. Bike theft in the UK is on a par with other western countries, as is most other property crime, some variation, but all within the same narrow band. I'd expect there to be more variation between English cities than European countries.
Personally I see petty theft in (mostly urban) England as part of a wider malaise.

It is, the error is to think it's confined to England, or to think one's own experience is wide enough to make generalisations.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 24 Apr 2019, 8:32pm

But you have cited an article that also shows nothing in terms of concrete evidence. As bad as personal opinion!
Was London even tested? Do you consider the article good proof that London is in some way less bad.
My outdated browser only opens the headers of the article. Sorry.

I have no personal experience of a bike being stolen.
I read on here plenty of folk with other sad experience- from public places, garden sheds, downpipes pulled off houses recently.
It's a litany!!

That some places in Western Europe are less light fingered than England is not really an opinion.
I know it to be so.

gaz

Re: What an unfortunate event.

Postby gaz » 24 Apr 2019, 8:41pm

mercalia wrote:... he should have gone to another hostel?

His bike should not have been stolen regardless of where he left it.
Missing, presumed fed.

661-Pete

Bike stolen during round-the-world attempt

Postby 661-Pete » 24 Apr 2019, 8:48pm

gbnz wrote:
Spinners wrote: I really don't think that calling him a plonker is very helpful..

+ 1. Perhaps an edit to the thread title may be in order? Have to say I can't ever remember locking my bike outside a hotel/hostel (NB. Not least because my stays' in such are very limited), but the bottom line is that some so and so has stolen his bike
I agree. My suggestion here.

From my experience, some places are perfectly safe to lock one's bike outside; others not so. I suppose the bigger the city, the bigger the risk. My son had two bikes stolen: one in London, one in Southampton. Neither was recovered. I had a bike stolen in Bradford, but that was aeons ago - and I hadn't properly secured it... :( And more recently there was my bike-stolen-off-train incident - but I got it back...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

robing

Re: Bike not permitted in hostel : bike knicked overnight outside

Postby robing » 24 Apr 2019, 11:11pm

Who would leave their bike outside, all night, in London (or any other big city) locked or not?
I wouldn't even leave it during the day.
Last edited by Graham on 25 Apr 2019, 8:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: judgemental insult replaced

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Apr 2019, 11:18pm

mercalia wrote:"I was staying at a hostel on Borough High Street. Usually I would have the bike inside with me but when I arrived they said I wasn't allowed."

Josh was staying for two nights. His bike was locked to a rack outside the hostel - but by the second day it had been stolen.

I feel sorry for the guy but what a plonker - he should have gone to another hostel?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48035577

There are those that insist a woman should be able to walk down the street naked at any time of day or night without being acosted.
There are those who realise that there are sex maniacs on the street and if she were to wear something it would deter such people.

What level of covering do you think she should wear to deter sex maniacs?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Apr 2019, 4:29am

robing wrote:. . . . < snip > . . . . . leaves their bike outside all night in London (or any other big city) locked or not?

Surely it would not always be possible to keep it inside
Criminals are responsible for crime I think
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Apr 2019, 12:27pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
robing wrote:. . . . < snip > . . . . . leaves their bike outside all night in London (or any other big city) locked or not?

Surely it would not always be possible to keep it inside
Criminals are responsible for crime I think

It dont say much for the hostel to not come to some arrangement given that this is in LONDON. Capital of bike Thefts. Maybe put the bike in an office or store room. It was only for 2 days. The hostel should be named and shamed as a place to avoid?

mjr

Postby mjr » 25 Apr 2019, 12:58pm

mercalia wrote:It dont say much for the hostel to not come to some arrangement given that this is in LONDON. Capital of bike Thefts. Maybe put the bike in an office or store room. It was only for 2 days. The hostel should be named and shamed as a place to avoid?

Is https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/hoste ... ge-village the only hostel on Borough High Street?

It's not a London-only problem. We've avoided even some hotels on tour because they had no bike parking and refused to let us take them in, whereas some hostels (Vlissingen City Hostel, De Draecke Hostel Ghent, Jeugdherberg De Peerdevisser Oostduinkerke) were very helpful, allowing bikes to overnight in the breakfast area or rooms when they have no bike parking (Vlissingen and Ghent) or it was unexpectedly full (Oostduinkerke). It does sometimes make you wonder why we would pay extra for hotels if travelling in a group big enough to occupy whole dorms - but of course, it turns out that's what we're doing this year, on a route with few hostels and fewer available rooms ;)

Normally contacting a hostel or hotel before discovers whether they have good bike parking - it's easier now that cancellable bookings are available, but it would be better if the accommodation searches included "bike parking" alongside "car parking" as an option. I never like just turning up and hoping they'll let me take a full-size unbagged bike into the room, because of this problem. I'd rather have it in writing (even electronic).

Returning to the original post, I think he probably could have found better bike parking (London Bridge station used to have fairly secure parking - maybe it went in the refurb?) but it's annoying and I suspect some people criticising him would be much kinder to him if his car had been nicked while staying in a hotel that said on-street parking was OK.
Last edited by mjr on 25 Apr 2019, 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Apr 2019, 1:10pm

I read it. There was an air of predictability about it.

He seems, despite his having travelled c14,000 miles on his last trip, something of an innocent abroad (not a criticism, lest anyone thought that). For him, that's a big blow, I suspect, particularly psychologically.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Apr 2019, 1:27pm

Condemning big city malaise as an English only problem is a bit rich. Truth is cities across the UK have more issues with theft than places outside of the cities.

Where I live I've had a bike left in my back yard for a year without being nicked. I've left the front door wide open for hours without any issue. Where I live has been rated as safe as very remote parts of Scotland in terms of reported crime. There was a searchable and zooms le map of the UK showing crime levels. The hotspots were all cities or larger towns and were in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Obviously bigger cities got a bigger hotspot issue than smaller cities.

Making assumptions based on personal feelings, experience or anecdotes is rarely accurate. Denmark and I believe Netherlands have a legal requirement for new bike to be sold with at least a frame lock. Surely not bike theft related? I got told by a Danish friend that it was brought in as a response to a serious bike theft problem.

I know of three bike thefts where I work over 20 years working in the same area. Two were at the same time and the other was a work colleague who returned it then started to develop major bruising around his face once the original owner found out. Although a Bulgarian bike theft ring was operating in the area and they were raided with £80,000 worth of bikes and bike parts on the premises.

Personal view is I would not lock a good bike up in a public space overnight in any city in any Western country. I'd look for another option. Last resort I'd cycle to the nearest lbs and ask for storage help. Either at the shop or details on safe bike storage. That applies whether London, Cardiff or Glasgow. I might make an exception for St Davids though. I assume you're not comparing that city with London for your views on England!

mjal

Postby mjal » 25 Apr 2019, 2:42pm

Normally contacting a hostel or hotel before discovers whether they have good bike parking - it's easier now that cancellable bookings are available, but it would be better if the accommodation searches included "bike parking" alongside "car parking" as an option. I never like just turning up and hoping they'll let me take a full-size unbagged bike into the room, because of this problem. I'd rather have it in writing (even electronic).

You may find it useful to check hotels on HRS.com . There will often be a remark along the lines of "cycling/biker friendly". In my experience, this means that there is somewhere safe to store the bike overnight. HRS is at its best in Germany and Austria, not nearly as good in e.g. Spain.
Another source of information is the reviews in Booking.com ; the official data rarely mentions bikes.

Hope this helps.

PS : edit : I meant to mention that it is useful to check for underground garages in hotels ; this guarantees a safe spot for your bike.

robing

Postby robing » 26 Apr 2019, 3:31pm

I think the uk is particularly bad for theft, no? In my experience people respect property more on continental Europe and North America. Agree or disagree?