Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
atlas_shrugged
Posts: 262
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 7:50pm

Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby atlas_shrugged » 2 May 2019, 9:15am

A bus is reported to have crashed into a child cyclist on the northern section of the Cambridge mis-guided busway:
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-16210973

The circumstances are unknown and no doubt will be kept out of the public eye. However one of the photos in the above article features a stunning bit of Cranebridge cycle and pedestrian design: the 90 deg mid-air turn just before a dangerous crossing! Cranebridge County Council have consistently refused to publish a cycle design specification for their cycleways. This then allows the installation of such pleasures as the 90 deg mid-air turn along cycle routes.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6855
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 May 2019, 9:24am

A mid air turn?

User avatar
Lance Dopestrong
Posts: 1227
Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 1:52pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 2 May 2019, 10:08am

I remember last time this happened. Instead of being castrated (metaphorically) for failing to moderate their speed and act with diligence in the presence of a vulnerable user, the driver was instead hailed for their swift action and lightning reflexes in preventing an even more serious injury. I mean, astonishing?

The problem is, some of the safety critical jobs in the UK, LGV, coach, and bus drivers to name but a few, offer parlous pay, poor conditions, and often have onerous schedules. These folks should be professionals, paid, trained and treated as such, and then we might expect a sudden outbreak of responsible behaviour in return. Meanwhile, footballers, do-nothing slebs, and MPs, earn good salaries for cushy bullets, where the biggest dangers they recreate are relegation or paper cuts. Go figure.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

pyruse
Posts: 54
Joined: 6 May 2011, 5:35pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby pyruse » 3 May 2019, 2:52pm

It may not have been the bus driver's fault:
A spokeswoman for Stagecoach said: “CCTV footage shows that the teenage cyclist left the cycle path and pulled out on to the road without looking, in front of the bus."

I've seen teenage cyclists nearly coming to grief many times on the busway and also on normal roads because they pull across the road without looking; in fact a couple of weeks back in Cambridge I nearly hit a young cyclist who swerved across the road in front of me without warning and without looking. He did at least apologise.

There is plenty of bad driving (and I've been the victim of close passes and left hooks when cycling myself), but there is also plenty of bad cycling. I see examples of both every day in Cambridge.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17305
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Vorpal » 3 May 2019, 3:28pm

Nothing like anticipating hazards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

AlaninWales
Posts: 1540
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby AlaninWales » 3 May 2019, 6:00pm

Vorpal wrote:Nothing like anticipating hazards.

True, and the post above yours is clearly about not anticipating hazards!

Personally, when I am driving and see a cyclist on the footway, or a place where a cyclist (or skateboarder etc) my emerge from, I slow and cover the brake. I guess some drivers have so much entitlement to hold their speed, that they'll risk passing VRUs on the assumption htat they will never divert from their current path.

Psamathe
Posts: 10603
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Psamathe » 3 May 2019, 6:20pm

atlas_shrugged wrote:.....Cranebridge County Council have consistently refused to publish a cycle design specification for their cycleways. .....

FOI request? And if they decline, appeal the decision (it’s hardly a national secret of commercially sensitive).

Ian

pwa
Posts: 10446
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby pwa » 4 May 2019, 5:18pm

AlaninWales wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Nothing like anticipating hazards.

True, and the post above yours is clearly about not anticipating hazards!

Personally, when I am driving and see a cyclist on the footway, or a place where a cyclist (or skateboarder etc) my emerge from, I slow and cover the brake. I guess some drivers have so much entitlement to hold their speed, that they'll risk passing VRUs on the assumption htat they will never divert from their current path.

You and I don't know that the bus driver wasn't taking care. Hopefully the video footage will establish the facts, the speed of the bus, the actions of the teenage cyclist, etc, then informed judgement can be made.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1990
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Ben@Forest » 5 May 2019, 3:12pm

pyruse wrote:There is plenty of bad driving (and I've been the victim of close passes and left hooks when cycling myself), but there is also plenty of bad cycling. I see examples of both every day in Cambridge.


Yes, a few years ago l saw a middle-aged male cyclist on a sit-up and beg bike wander into the middle of the lane whilst approaching a roundabout, go straight across and then immediately pull out again to avoid a parked car. On neither occasion did he make any attempt to look behind let alone signal and the first time he certainly startled the driver behind him.

It's a small story but l remember it because the rider looked so earnestly middle class and stereotypically 'green'. He wasn't a callow teenager or an impatient roadie but still rode a bike inconsiderately and possibly dangerously. It takes all sorts....

rmurphy195
Posts: 1425
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby rmurphy195 » 11 May 2019, 8:11pm

[quote="AlaninWales"
Personally, when I am driving and see a cyclist on the footway, or a place where a cyclist (or skateboarder etc) my emerge from, I slow and cover the brake. I guess some drivers have so much entitlement to hold their speed, that they'll risk passing VRUs on the assumption htat they will never divert from their current path.[/quote]

Spot on -even if they are on the footpath/pavement/pedestrian footway or whatever the technical term is.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17305
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby Vorpal » 13 May 2019, 1:45pm

pwa wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Nothing like anticipating hazards.

True, and the post above yours is clearly about not anticipating hazards!

Personally, when I am driving and see a cyclist on the footway, or a place where a cyclist (or skateboarder etc) my emerge from, I slow and cover the brake. I guess some drivers have so much entitlement to hold their speed, that they'll risk passing VRUs on the assumption htat they will never divert from their current path.

You and I don't know that the bus driver wasn't taking care. Hopefully the video footage will establish the facts, the speed of the bus, the actions of the teenage cyclist, etc, then informed judgement can be made.

No we don't know that the driver wasn't taking care. But unless the bus driver was blatantly negligent, they will be absolved of all wrong doing just because of the motor-centric nature of the culture. It is entirely possible that the only reason the result was bumps and bruises instead of far worse was that the bus driver had anticipated the hazard, slowed down, and was prepared to take action.

It may also be the case that if the driver had done as AlaninWales suggests, there would have been no incident.

But I believe that AlaninWales was responding primarily to
pyruse wrote:
I've seen teenage cyclists nearly coming to grief many times on the busway and also on normal roads because they pull across the road without looking; in fact a couple of weeks back in Cambridge I nearly hit a young cyclist who swerved across the road in front of me without warning and without looking. He did at least apologise.

There is plenty of bad driving (and I've been the victim of close passes and left hooks when cycling myself), but there is also plenty of bad cycling. I see examples of both every day in Cambridge.


Until young people reach maturity, they may not fully understand risk. Children can and do unexpected things, even their parents may not anticipate. Teens may be easily distracted and/or not as aware of their mortality as they will (hopefully) become later in life. While many young people are normally diligent, I think that we have to accept that sometimes they just do stuff without thinking. It's part of our responsibility as a part of society, as parents, and as adults to help them not die because they had a momemntary lapse.

Nobody deserves to die because they experience or a sense of their own mortality.

I see it as a duty & obligation to anticipate the unexpected, be prepared to brake &/or evade if someone steps or rides out into the road, and slow down to a safe speed in case I cannot react quickly enough.

Bad cycling? Be glad they aren't driving!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

pwa
Posts: 10446
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Just "bumps and bruises" - so that's OK then

Postby pwa » 13 May 2019, 3:16pm

I agree that drivers must anticipate teenagers doing daft things. And I think the driver in this case may have done that and prevented a worse outcome. Or the driver may have been half asleep and reacted too late. We simply don't know and can't pass judgement.