Road Surface hazard

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
crs1953

Road Surface hazard

Post by crs1953 »

We're all aware of the dangers relating to poor road surfaces in general I'm sure, but I've just been out for a short pleasure ride ( 16 mls ) around the Streetly / Sutton Coldfield area. Sutton Park - nice and peaceful to ride in. I've become aware though, that for an area where there are some very expensive houses ( 750k plus ) the road surfaces can be abysmal !!
One road in particular, Rosemary Hill Road is a nightmare with draincovers up to 3 inches below the road surface, ruts, cracks, potholes, humps and lumps - you name it !! If traffic is heavy its inevitable that you're going to be riding 'in the kerb' so to speak, in which case you have all these potential rim damaging obstacles to contend with ( unless you're on a mountain bike of course )
The people who live there must be paying enormous levels of council tax so why are the roads so badly maintained ???
Then again I guess if you drive a big luxury 4 x 4 or something, you just don't notice things like that. Anyway, if you happen to find yourself in that area and on that road, BE CAREFUL !!!
or
TJ

Re:Road Surface hazard

Post by TJ »

Having worked in local govt. for 26 years, I found that the road surfaces, along with most other amenities, were maintained to a higher standard wherever councillors lived. I would say the bad road surfaces you speak of must be in councillor free zones.
In my long experience of having to deal with these people on a daily basis, proved to me that the majority of them were self-seekers of the highest order.