"Hit and run" or attempted murder?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toontra

"Hit and run" or attempted murder?

Post by toontra »

A shocking case of what is being described by the police as a "hit and run" (but looks to me more like attempted murder) captured on CCTV. This is especially disturbing for me as it's on a stretch of my routine training route.

A telling piece from the article:

The police are investigating but at this time have not made any arrests. After being told to obtain the CCTV himself, Josh immediately passed it to investigating officers.

Warning: the video is truly horrific

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/swain-s-lane-hit-and-run-shocking-footage-revealed-as-injured-archway-cyclist-speaks-out-1-6027987
Last edited by toontra on 2 May 2019, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliepolecat

Re: "Hit and run" or attempted murder?

Post by charliepolecat »

Murder, no doubt about it. But what of the police? Are they not bothered to investigate and giving the driver a fee pass to kill with impunity?

I have to say as a resident of another country planning on a UK ride this does not give me much confidence in the safety of UK roads.

Much of the anger directed at cyclists is a result of the negative comments about cyclists on (anti) social media.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Citizen to politician,"it's about the police force"
Politician, "yes,what about it"
Citizen,"we want one" :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sulav38

Post by sulav38 »

Shocking!!! Deliberate.. may be targeted?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

:shock:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No, I don't think deliberate, I think shocking driving, or under the influence, or something.

Nobody but the terminally stupid (were they attempting to murder) would do that in a distinctive convertible with the roof down.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

It's not just the physical act (which is horrific here), but it's also the mens rea of the suspect at the time of the offence. I don't pretend to know of or have evidence of what was going through the idiot drivers mind, so I cannot make an informed decision either way.

It's difficult to be really sure with such a limited field of view, but I think the driver was going a wee bit quick and wasn't able to hold a line that kept them on their own side of the road. Fortunately it's a distinctive car, even without a VRM it should be straightforward to locate, always assuming it is actually registered.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One thing's for sure: you will never ascertain somebody's motive if you make no attempt to discover their identity and to trace them.

It's hard to imagine a vid of anything else with that level of violence and potentially fatal result that would have attracted so little public attention.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:It's not just the physical act (which is horrific here), but it's also the mens rea of the suspect at the time of the offence. I don't pretend to know of or have evidence of what was going through the idiot drivers mind, so I cannot make an informed decision either way.

It's difficult to be really sure with such a limited field of view, but I think the driver was going a wee bit quick and wasn't able to hold a line that kept them on their own side of the road. Fortunately it's a distinctive car, even without a VRM it should be straightforward to locate, always assuming it is actually registered.

I understand that, albeit it's rather a long time since I studied, but what is very clear to me is that this wasn't a premeditated attempt to kill.

That established in my mind, even if the standard of driving fell so far below, yada yada yada, then murder wouldn't figure on the charge sheet.

I also formed the impression it was a loss of control scenario, compounded by a failure to stop.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Indeedy. I would judge an element of recklessness too, but it's down to the Couldn't Prosecute Stalin lawyer on the day as to that one, and I don't rate the chances at all. After all, if they were any good they'd be in private practice coining it, not working crap hours for likely national average wage or less.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...and taking crap for doing a thankless public service too, I don't doubt ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:One thing's for sure: you will never ascertain somebody's motive if you make no attempt to discover their identity and to trace them.

Quite!
Hence my post above,the police to all intents and purposes are nonexistent.
As a result such poor driving is endemic,though not always with the same result,but there's a lot of near misses going on out there due very low driving standards because there's no fear of being caught and waayyyy too lenient penalties on the off chance they are.

It's hard to imagine a vid of anything else with that level of violence and potentially fatal result that would have attracted so little public attention.

It's because it and similar offences have become the norm,and anyway he's a cyclist so doesn't pay his taxes :?

Things have got waayyy out of hand on UK roads IMO
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think it's to coin a phrase my Gran used to use, all to pot. What are the priorities for our police. Cressida Dick (not sure if it's in her jurisdiction, but let's go with the example) seems a sensible, measured lady who is capable and competent, for instance, and there are still a few police left, AIUI, so what are they spending their time doing?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think it's to coin a phrase my Gran used to use, all to pot. What are the priorities for our police. Cressida Dick (not sure if it's in her jurisdiction, but let's go with the example) seems a sensible, measured lady who is capable and competent, for instance, and there are still a few police left, AIUI, so what are they spending their time doing?

I used to have chargehand working for me,who when asked on the phone if he had enough manpower for the job in hand replied "I've enough manpower,its men I'm short of!" :wink:

I should imagine the average police officer is run off his/her feet trying to put out as many fires(to use a firefighting metaphor)as they can with limited resources and as a result their morale will be in their boots due to being undermanned,pensions in threat,vehicles and equipement not upto standard,and a useless CPS who don't give a toss,with prospect of things not getting better anytime soon.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Horrific. But - surely the registration number of this car is clearly visible in the video? I had no difficulty freeze-framing and reading it. It's
TF07 JKS
(I checked this out on the check tax site, and it does match - a black BMW.)

Unless the car was stolen at the time, the driver should be traceable.
A charge of Dangerous Driving would be the least of their worries.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).