Is it legal to cycle whilst using phone?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Is it legal to cycle whilst using phone?

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Using a phone in public should be illegal.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Using a phone in public should be illegal.

OK in a Giles Gilbert Scott designed box?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

If you can find one that isn't ankle deep in wee wee.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:If you can find one that isn't ankle deep in wee wee.

There are fewer and fewer, dry or wet, these days.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What about Oxford? :wink:
Using a phone while cycling certainly should be illegal

But why? It seems pretty harmless, unlike phoney driving. Is it because you want fewer cyclists?

Seems obviously dangerous and stupid, a no-brainer
People who are caught telephoning could be banned from cycling (and driving), a great way to reduce traffic

Where I live there are too many cyclists and too little space. I wish they would upgrade to 'Mercedes Plus Chauffeur' (bus)
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 19 May 2019, 10:06pm, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:

They are all being converted to book exchange stations, nearly a dozen near me :wink:
Seriously, I read that many people walk whole telephoning, I cannae do that, two things at once
Could have been the Grauniad mind (six impossible things before breakfast) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What about Oxford? :wink:
Using a phone while cycling certainly should be illegal

But why? It seems pretty harmless, unlike phoney driving. Is it because you want fewer cyclists?

Seems obviously dangerous and stupid, a no-brainer

Loads of stuff seems "obviously dangerous" that isn't. Many people would put cycling on roads in that category and they're also wrong. When a death is even tenuously phone-related (hitting a pothole after taking a selfie, for example), it is headline news, a freak event. Can you show much evidence that it's dangerous?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Using a phone on the bike is illegal here, as is listening to music via anything that covers or plugs the ears.

To be honest, I fully expect that one day they'll make it illegal to drink from a bidon while moving*, or even, by the time-honoured principle of lex asino est, make it obligatory to keep both hands on the bars at all times, even when signalling.

* I wouldn't advise drinking from a bidet while moving, either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:Using a phone on the bike is illegal here, as is listening to music via anything that covers or plugs the ears.

And yet motorists are allowed to put their ears in a closed glass and metal box?

Which law bans phone use while cycling? I've not seen warnings about this latest French legal silliness.

* I wouldn't advise drinking from a bidet while moving, either.

Why not?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I wouldn't advise drinking from A bidet while stationary even if you are in the bathroom
NUKe

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Throw the book at him, prosecute for several offences
I have taken to singing 'Mae hen wlad fy nhadau', the Welsh national anthem, as loudly as possible if I find myself near a telephoning PoB, that should disturb them :wink:

Why? What harm are they doing you? I ring my bell rather loudly if they're cycling at me or in a way that will conflict with me (or maybe someone else) unnecessarily, but other than that, I let them be.

I have had same said cyclist coming at me on the wrong side of the path looking at the phone, Two even unfit cyclists meeting head-on gives a high terminal velocity, Not a lot of time to do anything but shout and brake.
I have also had two cars coming at me on the wrong side of the road whilst texting, a car meeting a cyclist you have very little time barely even think.
Next time I meet a cyclist on my side of the path Or even Road I might resort To another line of defence/offence.
a bell is pretty useless in this type of incident.

Edited – my guy was also riding with no hands.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:I wouldn't advise drinking from A bidet while stationary even if you are in the bathroom

Groan. That's just making fun of dyslexics. :P
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mjr wrote:Why? What harm are they doing you? I ring my bell rather loudly if they're cycling at me or in a way that will conflict with me (or maybe someone else) unnecessarily, but other than that, I let them be.

I have had same said cyclist coming at me on the wrong side of the path looking at the phone, Two even unfit cyclists meeting head-on gives a high terminal velocity, Not a lot of time to do anything but shout and brake.

Yep, looking at a phone too long is careless, but I've had more trouble from people looking down at maps or sat navs than merely talking on phones.

a bell is pretty useless in this type of incident.

Really? I've found that ringing while braking (hoping to stop and brace) often wakes them into at least swerving - which is why I stop rather than swerve, as Murphy dictates we'd swerve the same way.

Edited – my guy was also riding with no hands.

Yeah, that's a problem if he's got no footbrake.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

They are all being converted to book exchange stations, nearly a dozen near me :wink:

Yes, conversion to book boxes or local item exchanges is common for the classic red (grey, green or cream) telephone boxes, but the number of new phone boxes in urban areas is increasing. Not that the companies installing them expect anyone to use the phones; they're a loophole in the advertising regulations.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Telephoning while cycling is obviously dangerous to others, the rider is not in full control of the machine
I hope my singing is so bad it shocks them into dropping the phone which smashes on the ground

Needs to be nipped in the bud, one sees plenty of teenagers on the phone, doubtless they do not reform when they start driving

Is it, why is it "obvious", to whom, not me it isn't. If you're saying that about people on bikes then it's even more applicable to people on foot.

But let us have the stats for the incidents relating to phone using cyclists? I can already tell you that they (phone using cyclists) haven't killed anyone in the last 7 years, I can already tell you that any serious injuries that they may have caused will be less than what pedestrians cause to themselves (because the total number of serious injuries between peds and cyclists is just over 40 a year at last count and I don't think that's all blame to cyclists)

I go back to visit my folks every 5-6 weeks in the North and use a specific route from the railway station through an industrial estate, you can guarantee there will be at least one guy on a bike rolling up a rizla whilst having a phone conversation. I've yet to hear of ciggy rolling/phone holding cyclists having killed or maimed anyone.

I don't usually use my phone when cycling but I have a couple of times since I got a SMART phone 7 years ago, one was Saturday on the estate loop road a few hundred yards from home whilst doing circa 10mph with no vehicles and no pedestrians in sight. I sent a 4 word text, I'd say I was in more control of my cycle and aware of what was going on around me sending a text than 99.99% of motorists when they have absolutely zero distractions, IMHO I'd say I was less of a potential threat than any/all motorists actually driving in the UK, remember motorists can casually/carelessly kill with just a 'moments inattention' and do so with great regularity even with no phone, that can't be said for people on bicycles can it?