Eggs thrown from passing vehicle

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tone5

Eggs thrown from passing vehicle

Post by tone5 »

Hi all
I need some advice following an egg assault.
While participating in an Audax yesterday eggs were thrown from a vehicle which was travelling in the opposite direction. Myself and one of the others in our group were hit, but fortunately not injured.
One of the others in the group had a video camera which captured the incident. From this the throwing of eggs can be seen as well as the vehicle's registration plate, but unfortunately the faces of the perpetrators are not visible.
I've reported this to the county police by email (got no answer on the phone) and sent them pictures which show the vehicle with its reg plate visible, an arm out the window and an object flying through the air towards me. I've also sent them a link to download the videos.
Is there anything further I can / should do (apart from cleaning the bike and my clothes).
Thanks
richardfm

Re: Eggs thrown from passing vehicle

Post by richardfm »

Do some googling. Your local police probably have a website where you can upload the video for them to investigate.
Richard M
Cardiff
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Request details of registered owner and their insurer from the police so you and your mates can make a claim against the driver for compensation. This should really make their lives difficult. Insurer might even void their policy if of course they are insured in the first place. Were the eggs hard boiled as if so this could have really caused some serious injury or damage? Indicates intent to do some real damage and cause injury.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sorry to hear of this. Previous thread, may contain some advice or info.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Request details of registered owner and their insurer from the police so you and your mates can make a claim against the driver for compensation. This should really make their lives difficult. Insurer might even void their policy if of course they are insured in the first place. Were the eggs hard boiled as if so this could have really caused some serious injury or damage? Indicates intent to do some real damage and cause injury.

'Like'
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This type of behaviour is one of my many hobby horses. At the very least, it seems to me it falls into the description Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance This can be dealt with under s59 Police Reform Act 2002.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Better still, there is the assault, or the offence of depositing an object on or above a highway that could endanger a user of that highway. The S.59 is a good call, but I'd keep that in my pocket as a last resort in case the driver refused to identify the suspect. Even then, they're not held on PNC so he could cross the county line, behave like a nodder, and accrue another warning, cross the next county line...and so on.

Hopefully the OP has the details of the other witnesses. With their corroboration there's a decent chance of an investigation succeeding, providing the car has a current R/O.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You sure you weren't campaigning for UKIP? :)
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Isn't Egging A jailable offence?
It seems that nowadays that milkshakes and ice cream are preferred :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Better still, there is the assault, or the offence of depositing an object on or above a highway that could endanger a user of that highway. The S.59 is a good call, but I'd keep that in my pocket as a last resort in case the driver refused to identify the suspect. Even then, they're not held on PNC so he could cross the county line, behave like a nodder, and accrue another warning, cross the next county line...and so on.

Hopefully the OP has the details of the other witnesses. With their corroboration there's a decent chance of an investigation succeeding, providing the car has a current R/O.

That's why I wrote At the very least. I don't underestimate the problems of gathering evidence in a case like this, especially identification in accordance with the Pace Code of Practice but nor do I underestimate the problems of getting the police in some parts of the country to take any interest whatsoever in things like this.
=====================================================================
PS I've referred to s59 in many previous threads but not in the thread linked by gaz above. That's unusual for me.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I did get egged once whilst piloting our tandem. The perpetrators were a bunch of kids on the top deck of a double decker bus. The driver saw what happened and stopped the bus so that we could confront the lads and lassies. They just denied all knowledge and as we cycled away the bus driver was parked-up telling the kids that he wasn't moving until they got off, and they weren't getting off - don't know the final outcome.

Having spent many of the intervening years working in youth clubs I think I'd have responded differently now.

I would probably congratulate them on a fine shot (to hit a moving cycle from a moving bus) but suggest that it could have been a bit dangerous if the strike had caused me to fall off - and then said goodbye.

Empathy is a skill teenagers don't have naturally but do need to acquire.
tone5

Post by tone5 »

Oldjohnw wrote:You sure you weren't campaigning for UKIP? :)

Haha! I wonder if there's less chance of being egged if wearing a UKIP shirt?
tone5

Post by tone5 »

Thanks for all the responses. Today I had an automated reply from Warwickshire police inviting me to make a statementand upload the videos, which I've done.
I'm impressed that if had a reply so quick and that making the online statement was easy.
Hopefully it'll be properly investigated.
tone5

Post by tone5 »

Hopefully the OP has the details of the other witnesses.

Yup, I have their details :D
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

You must be shell shocked.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.