Birmingham Road Cycling routes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jatindersangha

Birmingham Road Cycling routes

Post by jatindersangha »

Hi all,

I'll be in Birmingham shortly for a few days and will be taking the kids and bikes.

Does anyone know of any good, low-traffic cycle routes either in parks, the city itself or just outside that we could do.

Not looking for huge routes - just something in the order of 20-30 miles nothing too strenuous.

I've heard about the new blue routes in Brum - but not seen them yet.

Thanks,
--Jatinder
ianrobo

Re: Birmingham Road Cycling routes

Post by ianrobo »

jatindersangha wrote:Hi all,

I'll be in Birmingham shortly for a few days and will be taking the kids and bikes.

Does anyone know of any good, low-traffic cycle routes either in parks, the city itself or just outside that we could do.

Not looking for huge routes - just something in the order of 20-30 miles nothing too strenuous.

I've heard about the new blue routes in Brum - but not seen them yet.

Thanks,
--Jatinder

If looking for quiet routes the camels are best but if in FB search for Protect Brum Cyclists and loads can advise
Si

Post by Si »

Blue routes now, more or less, open. I've only done the a34 - it works. If you go to the ends of both you may get 20miles, but it's not the most scenic ride and it's not obvious how to join them up in the middle if you don't know the city!

From the city centre, try taking NCN5 - the Rea Valley route to the south west. This is nearly all traffic free or quiet road. Some nice parks and paths. Go all the way to Windmill Hill Cafe (if you don't mind the climb to get up there) and then back to the centre.

Or, from the centre again, take the B & F canal out to spaggetti junction then do the north brum cycling and walking route (NCN535 and the one next to it) around Erdington and Sutton, going through Sutton Park, for a ride of around 22 miles using canals, park paths and the odd bit of quiet road..

If there on June 9th then do the LetsRide festival in the city centre.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Don't forget there's also the canal routes out to Wolverhampton etc. Try this link, loads of useful info there that you can use depending on your start point https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/walking-and-cycling-routes/urban-adventures/top-cycle-routes-and-around-birmingham

or this http://www.birminghamcyclinggreenways.co.uk/route-guide-280-miles-of.html

https://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Rea_Valley-Cycle-Route-650.html

If you do go to Cannon Hill Park then the garden tearoom is loads cheaper than the Mac!

There are two ways to get out to Kings Norton - one is the Rea Valley route, the other is the canal which goes from Gas Street Bsin, past the University, cadbury's etc. You can stop off at Bourneville for a detour into Bournevill village for a cuppa - on a Sunday morning you might hear the Carillion bells. The routes join up on the canal near Selly Oak, takng you out to Kings Norton canal junction. From there you can divert off the canal through playing fields then on to Longbridge where there's a new town centre with refreshment stops ranging from a bike shop (almost opposite the train station), Subway, Greggs, M&S and the usual Costa, pubs etc. without going up any hills.You can carry on from there up to the Lickeys. Retrun trip Gas Street out to Longbridge is about 20 miles (I used to use this regularly until I moved from the area recently!)

Kings Norton of course has a couple of cafes and pub. If you get the map you'll see several options
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Si

Post by Si »

If you do go to Cannon Hill Park then the garden tearoom is loads cheaper than the Mac!

Although it's a bit of a lottery - we once went when it wasn't overly busy, took them over an hour to do beans on toast, scrambled eggs, and a vegi burger...and half of it had to go back!

detour into Bournevill village for a cuppa

Yes, I'd recommend the cafe on the village green. And also a visit to Selly Manor.