Just venting (advice from a stranger)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Just venting (advice from a stranger)

Post by eileithyia »

Think this has come up before, and agree it is the only time anyone seriously criticises one's choice of headgear. Last time I had it I think commented that I don't question their choice of headgear so no need to question mine. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MOARspeed

Post by MOARspeed »

brooksby wrote:Cycling home last night, riding on the (narrow) shared-use path going through the village of Abbots Leigh (here - https://goo.gl/maps/qQ9RK7L8JtQfTG8P8 ).

I carefully slowed down as a bus pulled up and a group got off, they noticed me and I thanked them as they moved over slightly.

As I moved past them, one of the women said, "I am so glad that you're not riding on the road" (I smiled), and then added, "But I do wish you were wearing a helmet!".

I stopped, pointed out I was riding on the path because I'd been bullied off the road by speeding cars, then got into a brief but heated helmet debate ( :evil: ) where apparently in failing to wear a helmet I was threatening to leave my children as orphans (and she knew I had children, how?).

In what other field of human activity do people feel it's acceptable to give unsolicited advice to perfect strangers???

Not how I planned to make a first post on these forums, but I have to say this is just modern times, people these days are just looking for something to be offended by, so that they can take the moral high ground. It doesn't matter if they're right or not, they spout out a quick one liner and you cannot respond in anything like the same time frame, they then shout over you such that response is impossible.
iRider

Post by iRider »

brooksby wrote:In what other field of human activity do people feel it's acceptable to give unsolicited advice to perfect strangers???

In dog walking, driving, controlling kids, parking in supermarket car parks, playing music in the garden, washing the car in front of your house, how you dress, etc etc.. in short, in every other field of human activity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

iRider wrote:
brooksby wrote:In what other field of human activity do people feel it's acceptable to give unsolicited advice to perfect strangers???

In dog walking, driving, controlling kids, parking in supermarket car parks, playing music in the garden, washing the car in front of your house, how you dress, etc etc.. in short, in every other field of human activity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And we all have the freedom to politely ignore, smile sweetly and move on.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
iRider wrote:

I like to pretend I have this freedom. In practice, an inner divvil takes possesion of me and sometimes unfortunate events ensue.

Perhaps the best strategy is to do as one does if wishing to avoid becoming biscuit or cake-fat. Don't buy them, so they aren't handy in the cupboard, where they will erode your supposed willpower until you eat them. Try to avoid roads and situations where loons in cars, on bikes or riding an e-scooter will annoy you.

I realise this can be difficult for the city or town-bound. Such folk will need a-one of those self-help books about "How to Increase Your Willpower Without Really Trying". I have to say that I haven't found one I could recommend. :-)

Cugel, a playground for various angels and devils.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
iRider

Post by iRider »

Oldjohnw wrote:
iRider wrote:

Exactly.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

iRider wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
iRider wrote:

Exactly.

Please post your procedures and mantras for doing this. I have attempted the count-to-ten and various other recommendations but my inner devil says !*$^ that!

Cugel the uncontrolled
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
iRider

Post by iRider »

Cugel wrote:
iRider wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Exactly.

Please post your procedures and mantras for doing this. I have attempted the count-to-ten and various other recommendations but my inner devil says !*$^ that!

Cugel the uncontrolled

To use a word mentioned in another thread this morning... Perspective. Like many I have suffered loss, illness etc etc. So as I get older I can see small minded interfering comments for what they are.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:
iRider wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Exactly.

Cugel the uncontrolled

Must just be my sweet nature.
John