Cyclist dismount?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sulav38

Cyclist dismount?

Post by sulav38 »

What do you make of this Video? This was taken at CS7 near Colliers wood station. I have seen similar signs in past around CS7. Have I broken the law or is Merton Council in the wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8leoTpCnwK8

If you think this is wrong please let @Merton_Council (tweet) know!
gaz

Re: Cyclist dismount?

Post by gaz »

I cannot see the reason for the cycle lane closure, the signing will be the responsibility of the contractor conducting the works.

I would have preferred to see the following signs on the approach, "Cycle lane ahead closed", "Cyclists join main carriageway", "Narrow lane do not overtake cyclists".

Based on your video I have no reason to think you have broken the law.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
sulav38

Post by sulav38 »

gaz wrote:I cannot see the reason for the cycle lane closure, the signing will be the responsibility of the contractor conducting the works. .

I agree and I have seen it mostly under Merton council . Maybe time to request contractors to update their signage.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

In Oxfordshire we have managed to get them to put up signs "Narrow lanes do not overtake cyclists". The occasions that dismount signs are used it is with contractors who should have known what the County expected of them.
I think the thing that swung it was when the High St was rebuilt - single narrow lane (barrier each side) with traffic light working and a very narrow heavily congested/crowded single footway. I asked if I was expected to walk by bike in the severely over congested footway, or in the traffic lane and thus keeping all the vehicles at walking space.
I was cc'd on an internal County e mail, "in view of the e mail below (mine), did any one have suggestions of how to get around this issue....."

If your highway authority seems unhelpful, I guess you could ask the should you be walking your cycle on the footway or in the road, and will they be placing a cyclists remount sign at the end of the roadworks.
If it is your council's policy to not used the dismount signs, they may need nudging to instruct their contractor to use Narrow lanes do not over take cyclists signs.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Often the contractors who provide and set out the barriers are different to the contractors who do the work. This means the barriers/cones are set out way before the work starts and long after the work has finished.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

This isn't my field, but does the manual of guidance for street works specifically state that "cyclists dismount" signage should not be used as a substitute for making proper provision forums?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The manual states that cyclists should be provided for on the carriageway where possible and that "cyclists dismount" is the last resort to be used when the carriageway is closed.
RedBook.png

It illustrates how to provide for cyclists with a "cyclists dismount" sign, a picture speaks a thousand words :roll: .
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Thanks Gaz, knew it was something broadly like that.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

I think that you will find that it is the Contractor carrying out the work who should detail the signage and not their Subcontractor who provides,installs & maintains it.
Obviously the Local Authority employing the Contractor should include an appropriate specification in the Tender Documents.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One point about gaz's link is that one of the very few cycling-related changes in the TSRGD 2015 was the removal of the reg requiring a mandatory cycle lane to be authorised by a TRO. The continuous white line with relevant cycle lane signs is enough, ie like traffic lights, STOP signs etc. Put another way, contravening it is a contravention of the sign, rather than a contravention of a TRO.
sulav38

Post by sulav38 »

Redvee wrote:This expalins a lot.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/cyclists-dismount

Where the carriageway is closed but the footway remains open, a ‘Cyclists dismount and use footway' white-on-red temporary sign can be used. Contractors are therefore required by the rules to keep the road open for cyclists if at all possible, and especially if it is also open to cars. Makes lot of sense .
Similar sign encountered again at different location >> http://tiny.cc/k38p7y . Looks like TFL needs to educate their contractors!
gaz

Post by gaz »

TfL have their own manual, only applies to TfL managed roads.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's no reason to dismount because there's nothing restricting you to using the cycle lane. You're entitled to use any reasonable lane. For example, if you caught a group of slower cyclists in the lane, there'd be nothing to stop you from moving out to pass them.
whoof

Post by whoof »

bath s.jpg
The picture above shows a building site that has extended out to cover the pavement and cycle lane. What was the centre of the road is now just to the right of the keep right sign and the centre marking has been repainted. Between the black site wall and the red and white temporary bollards they have created a foot path.

Although the picture doesn't show it there has been a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign here. My understanding is that if you ride up the cycle lane and then get to the new footpath cyclists should dismount if they wish to continue on the footpath. I think that this is the 'thought' behind the sign in the video from the OP. If the cycle path is closed and you wish to continue on the pavement you should dismount. I'm not saying it's a good idea, I always move to the right and continue on the road, just saying that this may be the reasoning behind the sign.