Cyclist dismount?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Re: Cyclist dismount?

Post by gaz »

The OP's video is clearly taken on CS7, an on carriageway cycle lane not an on footway cycle track.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
whoof

Post by whoof »

gaz wrote:The OP's video is clearly taken on CS7, an on carriageway cycle lane not an on footway cycle track.

If you are replying to me. The picture I posted shows a n on road cycle lane that has been closed. The person who put up the sign may assume someone on a bike would not wish to continue on the road and If they were to use the footpath they should dismount.
The OPs video shows an on road cycle path that is closed as above, if the person who put up the sign expected a cyclist to continue on the pavement to the left they would expect them to dismount.
Again I would always simply ride on the road on the right. I'm also not saying its a good idea just that out may explain the sign.
sulav38

Post by sulav38 »

whoof wrote:Although the picture doesn't show it there has been a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign here. My understanding is that if you ride up the cycle lane and then get to the new footpath cyclists should dismount if they wish to continue on the footpath. I think that this is the 'thought' behind the sign in the video from the OP. If the cycle path is closed and you wish to continue on the pavement you should dismount. I'm not saying it's a good idea, I always move to the right and continue on the road, just saying that this may be the reasoning behind the sign.

I think this is different scenario to what you have, where there is actual some work being done. We don't know the scope of work here. There are two misleading signs mounted on the pavement just aimed at cyclists while road is open to all vehicles .Again, this is not a segregated cycle lane (no solid white line) so anyone cycling would technically be cycling on road anyway.
I would think "Do not Overtake cyclists" would be appropriate sign (and is commonly used with some exception on this cycle superhighway ). From other discussions it seems like contractors involved are not up to date.
sulav38

Post by sulav38 »

Redvee wrote:This expalins a lot.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/cyclists-dismount

This sign definitely should not have been there. It disappeared on the same day. I encountered the similar sign next day further down the road and complained to TFL. The sign was removed on the same day. Thanks
Attachments
Dismount_recommendation.png