Trousers and commuting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mattievrs

Trousers and commuting

Post by Mattievrs »

Hey,

I use a shirt shuttle for my daily shirt transporting but my trousers always end up creased from my backpack. Who uses what to keep the trousers in crease free condition? Thanks in advance.

Oh and leaving clothes at work is a no go as we use day lockers.
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
geocycle

Re: Trousers and commuting

Post by geocycle »

Have a look at Rohan. the envoy range is pretty robust and suit styled. When I have meetings the suit goes in a pannier and emerges unscathed. Usually at work I’m able to leave trousers hanging so only have to deal with a shirt.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Many years ago I cut down a pair of Terylene/wool Permanent Press trousers to make cycling breeches for my husband. The stood up to everything. I still have a vivid memory of the two of us in a Yorkshire pub after a very wet day in the dales, steaming gently in front of the fire and looking like a pair of drowned rats BUT his breeches were immaculate! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mattievrs wrote:Oh and leaving clothes at work is a no go as we use day lockers.
Sorry, I don't understand.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mick F wrote:
Mattievrs wrote:Oh and leaving clothes at work is a no go as we use day lockers.
Sorry, I don't understand.

I guess he means lockers can only be used while actually at work and not 'kept' to leave items in between working days.

I have used an oversized pannier, so items I do not want crushed can be packed lightly to reduce risk of being crumpled looking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mattievrs wrote:Hey,

I use a shirt shuttle for my daily shirt transporting s.

What's a shirt shuttle. And if you can transport your shirts, why can't you transport you trousers?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Roll them up instead of folding them. The rolled shape is stronger against creasing and you'll not get the fold creases either.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:
Mattievrs wrote:Hey,

I use a shirt shuttle for my daily shirt transporting s.

What's a shirt shuttle. And if you can transport your shirts, why can't you transport you trousers?

It's a product www.shirtShuttle.com - it doesn't hold trousers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Roll them, cut up a large plastic bottle to wrap around them?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

geocycle wrote:Have a look at Rohan. the envoy range is pretty robust and suit styled. When I have meetings the suit goes in a pannier and emerges unscathed. Usually at work I’m able to leave trousers hanging so only have to deal with a shirt.

Or... have a look at Rohan, and just ride in it. My choice of trousers (Bags) isn't necessarily work-suitable for all but I have various of their smart shirts and just ride in them, which is fine if you're not on the sort of ride that builds up a sweat, and there are various smart trews (up to and including the Envoy) which will probably deal with being ridden in better than most.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

I've a pair of M&S chinos that don't crease that easy. When I travel I simply fold them along a rectangular piece of cardboard, its ends are folded twice to make them bigger, this avoids a sharp crease on the fabric.
climo

Post by climo »

londonbikerider wrote:I've a pair of M&S chinos that don't crease that easy. When I travel I simply fold them along a rectangular piece of cardboard, its ends are folded twice to make them bigger, this avoids a sharp crease on the fabric.

How about rolling them around a large cardboard tube? No angles = no creases?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I go for the traditional method and wear them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

climo wrote:
londonbikerider wrote:I've a pair of M&S chinos that don't crease that easy. When I travel I simply fold them along a rectangular piece of cardboard, its ends are folded twice to make them bigger, this avoids a sharp crease on the fabric.

How about rolling them around a large cardboard tube? No angles = no creases?

Doesn't work IME. Even if you make the trousers do the splits, at some point, you'll probably have two bits of fabric snagging each other as they roll up and annoying creases form. It's easier to use fewer more definite folds around a fat object like londonbikerider suggests than to roll around something and have to check everywhere.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.