NCR12 / Great North Way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
londonbikerider

NCR12 / Great North Way

Post by londonbikerider »

Hello.
Bit of advice needed here, about the conditions of the route (oralternatives to) NCR12.

Last weekend I've followed some mates on a route I had not done before, using the NCR12 to avoid the busiest roads for getting North, out of London.
I had not done the route 12 before, and I wasn't impressed by some of the sections. Surely, been allowed to cycle away from cars it seems a godsend, but in my opinion more needs to be done.
For example, the underpass on the M25 is useful but tricky to get to: you can see there's a tight switchback with the canal right in front of you... you really need to be confident in what you're doing. Some warning signs could be a good start.

I was also not impressed by the short bit that leads to this, I think was just after Dancer's Hill Lane. It was a bit damp, and I can see that part been partially flooded in case of rain.

What does people think about it, and if there are alternatives for going North. I usually start from the Camden/Holloway area and would like a quiet route to Hatfield/Stevenage.

Tahnks in advance.
The utility cyclist

Re: NCR12 / Great North Way

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've not been that far South on NC12 but I've seen it in pics before, I've cycled High Barnet, Kitts end, Potters Bar, Whelham Green then Hatfield. It's a bit of a lottery from Hatfield to Stevenage unless you want to divert again and tbh I don't find the Gt.Norht road coming through Welwyn/Welwyn GC to Stevenage that bad.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

You can easily avoid that underpass and the approach to it by turning right from Dancers Hill Rd into Baker St. This will take you under the Motorway and towards Potters Bar. It's probably simplest to continue to the traffic lights at the end before turning left on the B556 but you could turn left earlier and join the B556 lower down. After a couple of miles there's a turning on the right from the B556 which takes you down to Route 12. Incidentally that section of route I2 alongside the A1M uses a cycle track but I'm quite happy to use the road there.

Another alternative would be to use the train to Potters bar or beyond.
londonbikerider

Norman H wrote:You can easily avoid that underpass and the approach to it by turning right from Dancers Hill Rd into Baker St. This will take you under the Motorway and towards Potters Bar. It's probably simplest to continue to the traffic lights at the end before turning left on the B556 but you could turn left earlier and join the B556 lower down. After a couple of miles there's a turning on the right from the B556 which takes you down to Route 12. Incidentally that section of route I2 alongside the A1M uses a cycle track but I'm quite happy to use the road there.

Another alternative would be to use the train to Potters bar or beyond.

I'll have look at the map, thanks!
Adamcycles17

Post by Adamcycles17 »

North of the subway NCN12 is on tarmac cycle paths or roads to Sherrardspark Wood in Welwyn Garden City. Tarmac again from Shot Green to north end of Stevenage. Rough surface sections south and north of Letchworth then tarmac to Arlesley. All rideable unless on very thin racing tyres.

What I'm looking forward to is the much postponed Hadley Wood to Chase Farm Enfield extension as this would create a circular route in mid Herts via Hatfield Hertford Ware Enfield and Hadley Wood.

Also note that just north of the M25 subway there is access to South Mimms services which is a stop for European Bike Express.

More info in the Cycle streets.net Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City area pages which I look after.
londonbikerider

adamedwardsteather wrote:North of the subway NCN12 is on tarmac cycle paths or roads to Sherrardspark Wood in Welwyn Garden City. Tarmac again from Shot Green to north end of Stevenage. Rough surface sections south and north of Letchworth then tarmac to Arlesley. All rideable unless on very thin racing tyres.

What I'm looking forward to is the much postponed Hadley Wood to Chase Farm Enfield extension as this would create a circular route in mid Herts via Hatfield Hertford Ware Enfield and Hadley Wood.

Also note that just north of the M25 subway there is access to South Mimms services which is a stop for European Bike Express.

More info in the Cycle streets.net Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City area pages which I look after.

Good info here, thanks a lot! It's likely I'll give it a go this weekend if I'm not down in Kent.