Sneaky mobile speed camera van - do you warn people?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Re: Sneaky mobile speed camera van - do you warn people?

Post by landsurfer »

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:4 wheels bad, 2 wheels good is ludicrous.. it certainly isn't a starting point for a reasoned debate.

I did not say anything like this. I don't think I even implied it.

You didn't ... I did...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Personally i'm a great believer in the 20mph limit in any built up areas.
I drive on the basis that a child will pounce out in front of the car at all times.
On the motorways i set my cruise control at 65mph indicated.
So the red pickup truck in front of you causing congestion may well be me ... :)
Seem to get there just as quick as when i used to sit at the limit.
Be more Mike.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:Personally i'm a great believer in the 20mph limit in any built up areas.
I drive on the basis that a child will pounce out in front of the car at all times.
On the motorways i set my cruise control at 65mph indicated.
So the red pickup truck in front of you causing congestion may well be me ... :)
Seem to get there just as quick as when i used to sit at the limit.

Good on yer.
Do you find that many drive like you?
Any congestion is down to drivers who go faster than you, until they meet a law abiding driver.
I wish there were more like you.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

There are quite a few non HGV drivers in the inside 2 lanes these days .....
Be more Mike.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:There are quite a few non HGV drivers in the inside 2 lanes these days .....

Driver behaviour on the motorway is hidden from me by a somebody else's problem field.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, On a normal 3 lane motorway there is a driving lane and 2 overtaking lanes, only 1 of which is lawful for HGV use.
No slow lane, no fast lane, although there is a minimum speed stipulated for their use, but many folk don't know that. It is 40 mph.
So maybe a fair few of those who stand still on the M25 & M60 car-parks each day should get ticketed? :roll: .
I don't know if it has already been mentioned but the first employees of the Automobile Association were cyclist paid to warn members about Police Speed Traps!
But since those days it became illegal to warn possible offenders, you are warned :P . TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again MM, the scouts usually saluted, but if they did not the motrons knew they were approaching a safety camera
We love safety cameras, we love life
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

andrec wrote:I'd like to see satellite tracking of all cars so that keepers can be fined every time they break the limit. There are no privacy issues really as roads are public spaces. All speed cameras should be hidden and mobile. It makes no sense to make them highly visible, about as sensible as requiring store detective or plain clothes policemen to dress in yellow jump suits so that every law breaker can spot them and behave properly until they are out of sight.

Why fine the keepers, when tracking would make it possible to fine the drivers, which would be more of a deterrent and fairer?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, On a normal 3 lane motorway there is a driving lane and 2 overtaking lanes, only 1 of which is lawful for HGV use.
No slow lane, no fast lane, although there is a minimum speed stipulated for their use, but many folk don't know that. It is 40 mph.

Up here in the North we have a proliferation of wonderful 4 lane motorways .... often with a HGV tractor and trailer unit in the inside 3 lanes in formation !!!
Be more Mike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
andrec wrote:I'd like to see satellite tracking of all cars so that keepers can be fined every time they break the limit. There are no privacy issues really as roads are public spaces. All speed cameras should be hidden and mobile. It makes no sense to make them highly visible, about as sensible as requiring store detective or plain clothes policemen to dress in yellow jump suits so that every law breaker can spot them and behave properly until they are out of sight.

Why fine the keepers, when tracking would make it possible to fine the drivers, which would be more of a deterrent and fairer?

Presumably because Keepers are clean and easy to identify, whereas drivers means much more cost, debate and uncertainty.

...and it takes identity fraud out of the equation.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mike Sales wrote:
Warning other drivers about a police speed trap is a criminal offence - as one man in Cornwall discovered today.
The driver was “waving frantically” at other motorists after passing a mobile speed camera on the A30 near Launceston.

But, unfortunately for him, one of the drivers he ‘warned’ happened to be a police officer in an unmarked car.

The officer told Cornwall Live that the driver was reported for obstructing the police, which carries a maximum penalty of one month's imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £1,000.

I do believe there has been a test case on this matter with the Man in the Curley Whig ....
And the driver doing the warning was the winner ....Drivers 1 ... Pointless Police 0
Feel free to knock me down on this one .... :)
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

B€$t to fine both :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

B€$t to fine both :wink:

Welcome to Airstrip One .... you WILL love it here .... won't you Smith !!!
Be more Mike.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
I do believe there has been a test case on this matter with the Man in the Curley Whig ....
And the driver doing the warning was the winner ....Drivers 1 ... Pointless Police 0
Feel free to knock me down on this one .... :)

Reference?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

Presumably because Keepers are clean and easy to identify, whereas drivers means much more cost, debate and uncertainty.

...and it takes identity fraud out of the equation.

Hardly!