Sneaky mobile speed camera van - do you warn people?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DaveReading

Re: Sneaky mobile speed camera van - do you warn people?

Post by DaveReading »

RickH wrote:My understanding is that they do (or can) record speed so you can get a ticket for passing any individual camera too fast as well as getting one for being measured too fast between cameras.

I wasn't aware that was the case. Presumably, in order to detect instantaneous speed, they would need to incorporate radar as well as the camera.

There's no mention of that here: http://www.jenoptik.co.uk/product/specs
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

DaveReading wrote:
RickH wrote:My understanding is that they do (or can) record speed so you can get a ticket for passing any individual camera too fast as well as getting one for being measured too fast between cameras.

I wasn't aware that was the case. Presumably, in order to detect instantaneous speed, they would need to incorporate radar as well as the camera.

There's no mention of that here: http://www.jenoptik.co.uk/product/specs

I don't think they do, either.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
I try to be a truthful person but occasionally when I see a motron going too fast with his window open I shout %&@# 'safety camera!!'@&€*

It has been known for me to catch speeding drivers up at the next set of lights and say " I guess you didn't see the speed camera van back there then?"
It gives me great delight to think they might be bricking themselves for a day or so!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

millimole wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
I try to be a truthful person but occasionally when I see a motron going too fast with his window open I shout %&@# 'safety camera!!'@&€*

It has been known for me to catch speeding drivers up at the next set of lights and say " I guess you didn't see the speed camera van back there then?"
It gives me great delight to think they might be bricking themselves for a day or so!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

Masterful, both :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a brief discussion with my wife yesterday on the subject of cars with the front number plates inside the car on top of the dash, instead of on the bumper where it should be. I have been seeing a lot of those recently, almost always on "boy racer" type cars. Anyone else noticed this trend, and is it to avoid camera attention?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:I had a brief discussion with my wife yesterday on the subject of cars with the front number plates inside the car on top of the dash, instead of on the bumper where it should be. I have been seeing a lot of those recently, almost always on "boy racer" type cars. Anyone else noticed this trend, and is it to avoid camera attention?

One sometimes sees trucks with the drivers first name displayed, apparently that helps the cops cos they only need to find out the surname :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:I had a brief discussion with my wife yesterday on the subject of cars with the front number plates inside the car on top of the dash, instead of on the bumper where it should be. I have been seeing a lot of those recently, almost always on "boy racer" type cars. Anyone else noticed this trend, and is it to avoid camera attention?

No, it's because they have 'smoothed' the front of their cars and don't want to attach a number plate to it.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Many recent verage speed camera installations I've seen use the back numberplate, not the front.

Maybe to ensure that motorcyclists also need to obey the speed limit :wink:

TPO