Dogs off lead on shared use path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Fairweather wrote:I've long since avoided shared cycle paths as the results have never been enjoyable. Why oh why can't people keep their dogs on a leash?

The ‘unleashed dogs on a path’ thing is really irritating. By all means let them run around unleashed in the parks, but leaving them to run around on a path is monumentally stupid. I have a very loud ‘Hornit’ on my bikes. That does get any errant dogs away from me, but it’s not ideal to have a dog suddenly decide it’s going to start attacking you as you’re cycling along a cycle path / shared path. Before I had the Hornit, I had instances where a dog which was aggressively approaching me ( some dogs really seem to dislike cyclists ) and I’ve shouted “NO” and they’ve backed off, sometimes it doesn’t work, and a quick flick of the foot towards them is required. But it’s easily avoidable if the owners weren’t so thick. On the other hand I had an instance on my commute home last night, where I caught some movement from the corner of my eye, and it was a dog, with a flashing coloured light on its collar, that seemed to want to play, which is fine, but not whilst I’m negotiating a narrow path, by a river :lol:.
fullupandslowingdown

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Fairweather wrote:I've long since avoided shared cycle paths as the results have never been enjoyable. Why oh why can't people keep their dogs on a leash?

Sorry there, but we cyclists must share our limited resources i.e give way to everyone else who is taking all the space up. Meanwhile the roads are only for motorists to share according to who drives the biggest baddest meanest SUV.