Red means STOP! or How I began to hate cyclists.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Red means STOP! or How I began to hate cyclists.

Post by Tangled Metal »

BTW there's only two sets of lights I would consider pressing the buttons for even though I didn't need them. Both on that same stretch it road within 300m of each other.

One is a pedestrian crossing, near a nursery and a rising point to get to two primary schools so needed, that takes about 5 minutes to change once pressed (possibility of a tiny exaggeration there.

The other is a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the double, staggered lights with the on demand lights too.

I've done a Bryn with both before now. My justification is one crossing is set very unfairly on favour of motorists such that nobody waits for it anymore and crosses when safe without a green man. That leads to it stopping traffic when no pedestrian is anywhere near. The other is simply a dangerous set of lights and anything that stops motorists speeding through even if only for a few minutes is deserved. If only I could modify the button to keep pressing itself without human intervention. But that's just fantasy, right?

Oh dear, I'm becoming Bryn! :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I hate PoBs who go too fast

Let me guess. Anyone going faster than you is too fast, and slower than you is holding you up?

The late American comic George Carlin first commented on this with respect to drivers:

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

He said some other wise stuff, like this:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Carlin was a genius and extremely funny
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Jurassic2 wrote:An interesting Cycling Myth https://youtu.be/swLeHK6MrHs

In reality, the motorist would not have been prosecuted or even cautioned IMO as he would have simply played the "safer to have gone through than braked sharply" card.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

In other news, my grassing up of the RLJ'ing motorist has resulted in a NIP being issued.
(Don't know if I'll get to know anything beyond that).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:In other news, my grassing up of the RLJ'ing motorist has resulted in a NIP being issued.

Was that with camera evidence?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:The words "Hate" and "Hero" have become overused and out of context to the point where they mean little any more ..... :(

I would agree with that.
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:In other news, my grassing up of the RLJ'ing motorist has resulted in a NIP being issued.

Was that with camera evidence?

Yep.

Guy jumped a red light at speed some 13 seconds after it changed and through a junction that is blind to traffic coming from it's left (whose lights would have been on green).

It's not the first person I've had RLJ'ing by a long way, but the combination of time since change, blind junction and speed was enough to persuade me to push it up.
(I even showed it to one of the petrol heads at work and they embellished it with expletives so I figured I wasn't just being harsh).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nice work! :)
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Result!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:BTW there's only two sets of lights I would consider pressing the buttons for even though I didn't need them. Both on that same stretch it road within 300m of each other.

One is a pedestrian crossing, near a nursery and a rising point to get to two primary schools so needed, that takes about 5 minutes to change once pressed (possibility of a tiny exaggeration there.

The other is a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the double, staggered lights with the on demand lights too.

I've done a Bryn with both before now. My justification is one crossing is set very unfairly on favour of motorists such that nobody waits for it anymore and crosses when safe without a green man. That leads to it stopping traffic when no pedestrian is anywhere near. The other is simply a dangerous set of lights and anything that stops motorists speeding through even if only for a few minutes is deserved. If only I could modify the button to keep pressing itself without human intervention. But that's just fantasy, right?

IMHO you strongly resemble Cugel
When are you moving to Wales?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:BTW there's only two sets of lights I would consider pressing the buttons for even though I didn't need them. Both on that same stretch it road within 300m of each other.

IMHO you strongly resemble Cugel
When are you moving to Wales?

The Tangled Lad will now feel dismay at your remark and I will be subject to vigorous arguments on every point as he attempts to distance himself from Cugalism. If I were him, I'd sue for defamation of character!

Cugel, no role model.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

We live in a time and age where there is a lot of information and media shared, and it's not always that easy to filter it down to an acceptable level of objective report.
If we are to bring back the "I remember in the old days" then we will have to consider the overall population was smaller, too, and this is especially true in big cities.

Overall, and I know it sound a cliché, things will never improve until people won't realize the true meaning of the ford "sharing". Roads can be dangerous, it is up to all the categories of users, including cyclists and pedestrians, to understand and respect the other user's need for mobility.

As far as me, I have never found useful to jump a red light, let alone all the implications such wrong action implies, the time saved is not worth the risk (if we were to bring the usual, pathetic thing, "I'm in a rush").
horizon

Post by horizon »

londonbikerider wrote:
Overall, and I know it sounds a cliché, things will never improve until people won't realize the true meaning of the word "sharing". Roads can be dangerous, it is up to all the categories of users, including cyclists and pedestrians, to understand and respect the other user's need for mobility.

This is obviously a can of worms (and a complex topic) but just to reply briefly: we don't currently share in any real sense the road with car users. To be able to share the same space would mean that the faster, better protected, more polluting user would have to make allowances for the slower, more vulnerable, non-polluting user - that would be true sharing. The concept that I would suggest here is that of moral equivalence (itself a controversial idea). Saying that cyclists should respect the rules of the road and the interests of motorists isn't really the correct starting point - we are where we are and in the overall context of road use, I don't see that there is much that can be usefully said about cyclist behaviour (much to the chagrin of people, I would suggest, like you and me who actually believe in rules-based behaviour and mutual respect).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

Person Riding Bike wrote:We all need to share the road

Translation: Please don't kill me.
Person Driving Car wrote:We all need to share the road

Translation: Get out of my way.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Oh whoops, I jumped a red light today. There are roadworks on the main road leading out of my town, with 3 way temporary traffic lights. Lights on red in my direction, which is in a slight uphill stretch so I pass a line of cars waiting on my side to get to the front. Then realise that if I wait till lights change I'm going to have to ride 300 m or so through the road works uphill with a line of impatient car drivers behind, so having checked that it looked reasonably clear in front, off I went. Sorry!