Safer on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
les186

Safer on the road?

Post by les186 »

Cycling in the fair town of Kirkcaldy a few weeks ago. Dropped the wife of at the Bingo with car then got bike out to cycle to the Retail Park using the cycle path. I just pootle along this cycle path but approaching a car wash a car just came out as I was almost at the exit. I couldn't stop in time so tried to swerve out of the way to avoid the collision hoping the driver would see me and stop. However the car continued onto the road turning left and I ended up hitting the car which rolled over my bike but fortunately not me! The road is a dual carriageway at this point so I assume the driver was only looking right and did not look left to see me. The woman driving seemed nice and was concerned if I was injured and offered to pay for the damage to my bike. I only sustained some cuts and bruises and she gave me a lift back to my car. A few days later she texted to say that I was at fault and would not pay for my bike to be repaired. I reported the incident to the police and they came to my home and took details but I have heard nothing more and assume that no action will be taken.
The cycle path is not marked with white lines at this point but I realise that cyclists are expected to give way at driveways which deters a lot of cyclists from using cycle paths.
poetd

Re: Safer on the road?

Post by poetd »

Sorry to hear about the bike, glad you're ok.

fwiw - the rule I always go by was given to me more than once when out on motorbike - never go near any car at a junction unless you've made eye contact - assume they haven't seen you and stop if you have to.

People don't look.
I'm all in favour of self-driving cars, I trust a computer far more than a human to handle the complexities of driving - such as WATCHING WHERE YOU'RE BLOODY GOING! :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

les186 wrote:I reported the incident to the police ...

There are two sides to every story, just because the driver thinks you were solely liable it doesn't mean that you were.

What information do you have? Driver's name, contact details, insurer, regestration number, etc.

If you are a member of Cycling UK or British Cycling get in touch with their relevant legal team.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Which vehicle has priority isn't necessarily clear. IMO, as it's a drive, the emerging vehicle should watch out for traffic on the road & the shared use facility. Certainly if you had been a pedestrian, or in a mobility scooter, the motorist would have been liable unless you were blatantly reckless or negligent.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

les186 wrote:Cycling in the fair town of Kirkcaldy a few weeks ago. Dropped the wife of at the Bingo with car then got bike out to cycle to the Retail Park using the cycle path. I just pootle along this cycle path but approaching a car wash a car just came out as I was almost at the exit. I couldn't stop in time so tried to swerve out of the way to avoid the collision hoping the driver would see me and stop. However the car continued onto the road turning left and I ended up hitting the car which rolled over my bike but fortunately not me! The road is a dual carriageway at this point so I assume the driver was only looking right and did not look left to see me. The woman driving seemed nice and was concerned if I was injured and offered to pay for the damage to my bike. I only sustained some cuts and bruises and she gave me a lift back to my car. A few days later she texted to say that I was at fault and would not pay for my bike to be repaired. I reported the incident to the police and they came to my home and took details but I have heard nothing more and assume that no action will be taken.
The cycle path is not marked with white lines at this point but I realise that cyclists are expected to give way at driveways which deters a lot of cyclists from using cycle paths.

None of us were there to witness the event. How can we possibly give advice or an opinion that is worth anything more than indulging in meaningless noise?

I realise you feel a victim of circumstances and don't know how best to proceed. A cycling forum is unlikely to give you any useful advice, although some will bang their favourite drum ... with you and your unfortunate event as either the stick or the drum.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Slow down, never trust them, be prepared to stop, do not make eye contact, never trust them, be prepared to wait even if you have priority
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

If you have legal protection through club membership such as CTC then speak to them ASAP.
If not, You may have cover through home insurance, check with them.
alternatively, if you don;t you can get drivers insurance details from askmid for a small fee. Then contact their insurer directly, or speak to a solicitor.
If you have any injuries still visible then photograph them, and any damage to the bike.
Did you damage her car at all?
Keep chasing police for action. At least they visited you. A driver collided with my car recently and didn't give details and relevant force could not give a stuff as there was no serious damage or injury.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Slow down, be prepared to stop, make eye contact but never fully trust them, be prepared to wait even if you have priority.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do not make eye contact!
Trust them yes, to break the law
Alternative facts welcome :?

A truck driver in her high comfy cabin does not regard cyclists, walkers, cars as partners or equals
Shout 'stop! wait!' at her and she laughs and keeps moving
Never trust motorin
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Jul 2019, 9:00am, edited 3 times in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Your advice is contrary to the norm, as you are aware. That is why I posted as I did, for the OP's information.

It is the case that by and large people who have made eye contact with each other find it harder to then damage each other on the road.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:Which vehicle has priority isn't necessarily clear. IMO, as it's a drive, the emerging vehicle should watch out for traffic on the road & the shared use facility. Certainly if you had been a pedestrian, or in a mobility scooter, the motorist would have been liable unless you were blatantly reckless or negligent.

It's fairly clear that drivers emerging from a driveway should give way to cycle lanes and tracks unless there's very clear contradicting markings IMO but haters of all sorts will quibble.

Riding on the carriageway is no guarantee of a motorist respecting priority: one of my recent bike camera reports was a motorist pulling out of a side road across me and forcing an emergency stop and my last collision was a motorist turning through me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:Your advice is contrary to the norm, as you are aware. That is why I posted as I did, for the OP's information.

It is the case that by and large people who have made eye contact with each other find it harder to then damage each other on the road.

I do not make eye contact in the hope they think I am unpredictable

Anyone agree with me that eye contact should be avoided? Time for a poll? What is the 'norm'?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Don't assume that if you've made eye contact that the driver has actually seen you. I've been caught out by this on a few occasions, most often at roundabouts.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

flat tyre wrote:Don't assume that if you've made eye contact that the driver has actually seen you. I've been caught out by this on a few occasions, most often at roundabouts.

You will note I said "...make eye contact but never fully trust them..."
hemo

Post by hemo »

No MOTON can be trusted, most couldn't give a monkeys about vulnerable road user's as I found out again yesterday.