Utility Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Utility Cycling

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Ban car advertising and ITV will collapse. No more Corrie, no Love Island! :shock: 'Civilisation' will come to an end....

Al

Well that's one good thing then :)

heh!

I can't see it ever happening, but I agree that a blanket ban would be nice.

(Le Tour coverage would need some different sponsored slots - I'm not sure I want any *more* zwift adverts ... )

We always record any TV programs we like and fast fwd through the ads :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Well that's one good thing then :)

heh!

(Le Tour coverage would need some different sponsored slots - I'm not sure I want any *more* zwift adverts ... )

Why do those who display these ads think that repeating them ad infinitum ad nauseum is going to somehow overcome any resistance we have to buying their tedious products? If anything it surely does the opposite. I will never, ever buy a Zwift-thing. In fact, I'll go about telling anyone who'll listen that Zwift is obviously rubbish as they have to advertise it heavily to get fools to buy it.

But wait! Is my going about denigrating the Zwift on every possible opportunity itself an advert that will make the listeners assume the opposite is true? Doh!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:heh!

Why do those who display these ads think that repeating them ad infinitum ad nauseum is going to somehow overcome any resistance we have to buying their tedious products? If anything it surely does the opposite. I will never, ever buy a Zwift-thing. In fact, I'll go about telling anyone who'll listen that Zwift is obviously rubbish as they have to advertise it heavily to get fools to buy it.

But wait! Is my going about denigrating the Zwift on every possible opportunity itself an advert that will make the listeners assume the opposite is true? Doh!

Cugel

You obviously don't know the power of the lies spewed from the lips of marketeers,dare I mention B****t and the subsequent spew from the mouth of our current PM during that campaign?

PZ,Ze Zwift iz not zo zwift as eet ztayz in ze zame plaze all zee time no?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:We always record any TV programs we like and fast fwd through the ads :D

Cugel

You obviously don't know the power of the lies spewed from the lips of marketeers,dare I mention B****t and the subsequent spew from the mouth of our current PM during that campaign?

PZ,Ze Zwift iz not zo zwift as eet ztayz in ze zame plaze all zee time no?

I have observed Zwift hamsters in their turbo-wheels, staring avidly at the screen whilst thrusting madly, all a-drip, to catch or beat some pixels arranged to look like a cyclist (only just, mind - they have a rather creepy uncanny-valley look). This is the New Model Cycling apparently. No need to learn to cycle as the only skill needed is to pedal.

Perhaps soon there will be a brain implant such that a closure of the eyes and a lie-down on a Special Bed will cause the "cyclist" to dream the course as the muscles are induced to twitch and spasm in cycling style by induction currents in the bed? No chance of being car-bit then (or pedestrian-bombed). ..... Unless the virtual cyclist requires some "reality" effects, which could be rendered by upping the induction currents until a limb is magled or some ribs broken, as though a car had left-hooked them or a prattle-box hypnotised eejit had wandered into the Zwift road.

Would such virtual cyclists have to wear a helmet? There could be a special one that uses induction currents to induce the delusion that one is that Wiggo in Le Tour. Another VC somewhere in Rarotonga could be Froome to their Wiggo, requiring not just some cycling but also sulks and pouts followed by a twitter war.

My! The possibilities. Who needs The Yorkshire Dales or the gorgeous Welsh hinterlands, eh? :-)

Cugel, attached to the physical.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Coming back on topic, decent bike parking (Sheffield stands) are helpful, as are segregated cycle lanes in major roads.

We don’t have either of these things. As per a thread elsewhere I thought there were meant to be guidelines of infrastructure in draft format…
hemo

Post by hemo »

New Town (late 1940's) I have always lived here is Pop. about 90-100k reasonable shared ped/cycle routes into and around town approx. 10 - 14 mile route inc the main Industrial estate now renamed a business sector/park. I cycle in to town or local out of town shops all the time for groceries etc,etc and even run errands up to 14 miles each way for niche items I may need for one of my interests.

Recently acquired a used Carry Freeway and use this now as well for short local distances to carry bulkier/heavy items.
I use my cycle as much as I can and annual car mileage is < 1k miles.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

TrevA wrote:So how do you go about encouraging more people to cycle? Do people on here do utility cycling? What’s it like where you are?

Most and possibly all of my cycling is utility cycling in that I do it to move me, and sometimes goods, from one place to another. My radius of travel from home to shops, etc, is about three miles but I would go further if there were safe(r) routes for me to travel on.

In my own community I was part of starting a cycling club and whilst I’m no longer active in it the club continues and member’s have introduced some local changes. So to some extent providing leadership and a framework for others to work with is good. The other thing that I try and do is to be visible as a cyclist in the Town, do your shopping by bike and let people see that it is possible.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

hemo wrote:New Town (late 1940's) I have always lived here is Pop. about 90-100k reasonable shared ped/cycle routes into and around town approx. 10 - 14 mile route inc the main Industrial estate now renamed a business sector/park. I cycle in to town or local out of town shops all the time for groceries etc,etc and even run errands up to 14 miles each way for niche items I may need for one of my interests.

Recently acquired a used Carry Freeway and use this now as well for short local distances to carry bulkier/heavy items.
I use my cycle as much as I can and annual car mileage is < 1k miles.

This (above) is the way forward. I have lived in a similar place and could cycle to most places on dedicated routes and quiet roads.

I have a trailer, it’s not used often these days but they can be very effective. I’ve wondered about getting a long tail bike to move stuff and even a bakfiets too, I’d probably need power assist and my Mrs would find it all too much to manage.

My car got used for 20 miles today. I took some stuff for recycling that I couldn’t have shifted by bike, met some study group friends and did some shopping for stuff not available locally. Perhaps my trip could somehow have been done by bike instead, however I don’t think that I could have managed it and a route safe to cycle is say 15 miles each way and very hilly whereas the car drive route is shorter and fairly level.

What do I need most as a cyclist? I need dedicated level cycle paths to the Towns and City adjacent to where I live.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.