slowing down on the bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
shobo

Re: slowing down on the bike

Postby shobo » 12 Aug 2019, 6:37am

Pulse rate. At age 40 i could easily maintain 130 bpm over an hours ride, and 140 bpm if riding very hard was always doable. Now at age 58 i can barely get to 130 bpm even for a short stretch, unless its a steep climb. I think my average speed has dropped around 2 mph.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 12 Aug 2019, 9:34am

shobo wrote:Pulse rate. At age 40 i could easily maintain 130 bpm over an hours ride, and 140 bpm if riding very hard was always doable. Now at age 58 i can barely get to 130 bpm even for a short stretch, unless its a steep climb. I think my average speed has dropped around 2 mph.

That isn't necessarily a function of age. I'm 70 and the last time I measured my max HR (18 months ago) it was 182; my sustainable (for a 20 minute FTP test) HR rate was 162. My resting pulse (just before I get out of bed in the morning) is usually about 42-45. These are not very different from the figures when I was a racing monster a couple of decades or so ago.

AGe related limits seem to be more about joint-comfort and psychological lack of the inclination to go as fast as possible at all times. The latter pops up now and then, which is perhaps what keeps them HR figures so stable. But I doubt if I could do anything near a one-hour 25 mile TT or a 50 mile race now.

CUgel

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 12 Aug 2019, 2:08pm

Sounds like you're doing well. If I see 150 bpm on the counter nowadays I'm supposed to dial it back, otherwise I'm risking arrhythmia once I get home. Of course, when I'm climbing out of the saddle it's practically impossible to read the counter. I max out at ~160, though, so there's not much percentage in brazening it out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 9 Sep 2019, 6:58pm

eileithyia wrote:Thankfully not there yet, but some of my friends seem to be slowing up from 70+. Fighting back from a major op, am hoping this isn't the beginning of the slow down for myself.

It doesn't look like judging by your tandem ride on the R25/3H yesterday :D

(I'm the result board chap)
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 10 Sep 2019, 12:57pm

Cugel wrote: psychological lack of the inclination to go as fast as possible at all times.

Have to admit that's the biggest factor slowing me :!: While I'm not yet 50, I seem to have lost the inclination to cover every mile at the fastest possible pace a good ten years ago. Don't even get out on the light road bike that often, a flat barred hybrid being my customary mount.