Cycling unbridled

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Cycling unbridled

Post by SpaceCaptainTheodore »

Yesterday I took my first solo ride out in six months, having been schlepping up and down the local countryside with a trailer and child exclusively.

Apart from the fact that I no longer know how to handle an unweighted bike, it was utterly amazing. I would liken it to having a third lung and maybe an extra half a leg on each side. Maybe a higher-volume ribcage with extra room for the heart to rattle around in.

Having no one else around at work today, I thought I'd inflict my incautious enthusiasm on the denizens of this forum instead. I've felt a similar effect after short tours before and, so, would assume the people of this parish have, in the past, slapped gravity in the face once freed and generally know the feeling.

My question, though, is what on Earth to call this. I've been playing with some portmanteau constructions and they're all rubbish. So, please, whip out that thesaurus or make some use of that English degree (finally!) and help me find the word I need.
Mike Sales

Re: Cycling unbridled

Post by Mike Sales »

There is a similar delightful and disconcerting effect when you continue walking uphill after taking off a heavy rucksack.
I cannot think of a word for it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It is a little like the Kohnstamm phenomenon, which is the scientific description of the involuntary contraction of muscles after they have been working at something. The best known example is when you press the backs of your hands against a door frame, using the muscles that lift your arms. If you do so for long enough, when you walk away, your arms will lift automatically.

I'd be surprised if German doesn't have a word for it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Oh yes, when you feel spring-limbed and have that slight sensation of having come back from a long sea-voyage.

I'm sure the Germans must have an outrageously unwieldy yet satisfyingly precise term for it.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Ah cross-posted with Vorpal there.

Kohnstamm is a new concept to me - that'll be a fruitful avenue for tonights mindless procrastination!
gaz

Post by gaz »

SpaceCaptainTheodore wrote:My question, though, is what on Earth to call this.

It is certainly a selcouth feeling, although that remains a generalisation.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Not the lightest setup. Unloaded everything at B&B and rode it solo to the nearest shop. It felt like the lightest of track bikes!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:There is a similar delightful and disconcerting effect when you continue walking uphill after taking off a heavy rucksack.

Relief?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Entlastungsverschlimmbesserung

Just made that up, means: getting better and worse at once when the load is removed :wink:

Not sure what is worse, going faster could increase danger, but I am proud of my new word. The effect could be like getting an electric bike, plusminus?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:There is a similar delightful and disconcerting effect when you continue walking uphill after taking off a heavy rucksack.

Relief?

Well yes, relief, but also your muscles miscalculate the exertion needed to raise your body, now it is lighter. It is an odd feeling, for a few steps.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

euphoria?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Enlightened.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Enlightened! I enjoyed that. I also enjoyed the tandem photo on the bridge at Abingdon - proper cycling that is!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

SpaceCaptainTheodore wrote:Yesterday I took my first solo ride out in six months, having been schlepping up and down the local countryside with a trailer and child exclusively.

Apart from the fact that I no longer know how to handle an unweighted bike, it was utterly amazing. I would liken it to having a third lung and maybe an extra half a leg on each side. Maybe a higher-volume ribcage with extra room for the heart to rattle around in.

Having no one else around at work today, I thought I'd inflict my incautious enthusiasm on the denizens of this forum instead. I've felt a similar effect after short tours before and, so, would assume the people of this parish have, in the past, slapped gravity in the face once freed and generally know the feeling.

My question, though, is what on Earth to call this. I've been playing with some portmanteau constructions and they're all rubbish. So, please, whip out that thesaurus or make some use of that English degree (finally!) and help me find the word I need.

Reminds of a race Coach in the 70s who told me, train heavy race light.
NUKe