TV personality driving ban reduction

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: TV personality driving ban reduction

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:"Coogan explained, when questioned by the Magistrates, that Partridge was filmed in a documentary 'fly on the wall' style which would not be able to be replicated using other methods, especially as the idea of the eponymous character touring by car was central to the new production."

... and I'm not a lawyer. No mileage in perjury here, it's simply fair comment and opinion.

My original point was that this sort of filming is surely more distracting and disturbing to concentration than using a hands- free phone. Are the roads cleared of the public?

I don't know, I was responding to your subsequent point where you intimated he may have lied to the court.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't know, I was responding to your subsequent point that you intimated he may have lied to the court.

I was responding to the suggestion that his car was on a trailer etc, that it was done by fakery, so that there was no taking of risks with others' lives. His evidence contradicts the idea of fakery.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I don't know, I was responding to your subsequent point that you intimated he may have lied to the court.

I was responding to the suggestion that his car was on a trailer etc, that it was done by fakery, so that there was no taking of risks with others' lives. His evidence contradicts the idea of fakery.

So I guess the intention is not to trailer it for their filming, unlike some other programmes like Peter Kay's Carshare, where you'll note that the rear window is always strangely opaque, for the reason suggested by an earlier poster.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:So I guess the intention is not to trailer it for their filming, unlike some other programmes like Peter Kay's Carshare, where you'll note that the rear window is always strangely opaque, for the reason suggested by an earlier poster.

I might note it if I watched it. Perhaps it is the word car in the title that puts me off, or perhaps the words Peter Kay.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:So I guess the intention is not to trailer it for their filming, unlike some other programmes like Peter Kay's Carshare, where you'll note that the rear window is always strangely opaque, for the reason suggested by an earlier poster.

I might note it if I watched it. Perhaps it is the word car in the title that puts me off, or perhaps the words Peter Kay.

It's an excellent programme, genuinely so. Peter Kay not playing Peter Kay :D
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

36 in a 30 :roll:
Why is this even being discussed :lol:
Banned?
60 in a 30 yes a ban.36 in a 30?No.
Obviously his Lawyer is useless :roll:
I've been on 3 "Speed awareness" courses and they really are a waste of a day :roll:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

100%JR wrote:36 in a 30 :roll:
Banned?
I've been on 3 "Speed awareness" courses and they really are a waste of a day :roll:

36 mph is 20% above the limit.
There was an excellent advert explaining the danger of speeding.
The faster you go, the less time you have to react, the longer it takes you to stop, and the harder the impact with the body you hit.
But you should know all this, you were told so on your courses I imagine, but for you they were clearly a waste of time.
I hope that the option of a course is now closed to you.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I was done for 37 in a 30 and went on the course and learnt things ... now I support 20mph in cities
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I have to confess that (with the help of gravity) I recently did 70 %* over the signed speed limit whilst on my bicycle :oops:
* as indicated by my uncallibrated equipment
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
ianrobo wrote:I was done for 37 in a 30 and went on the course and learnt things ... now I support 20mph in cities

I was done for 37.7 in a 30 limit......relies on driver pushing buttons.......6/10ths of a mile..............I could na stop for a jam sandwhich right on my rear to make sure I could not stop...............motorbike....

That was the first and last police stop on the road...................no I tell a lie I was stopped and by an unmarked car :?
Had to laugh he said he could not catch me .....only in 2nd gear :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got done for going a few miles over the 70mph speed limit on a motorway standard A road in Scotland. At a very quiet time where I had probably only seen a handful of cars pass on both ways in the last 10 minutes.

I was annoyed with myself because I got caught because of not paying attention to the slope of the road. It was a downhill stretch and I hadn't modulated my accelerator pedal to keep the speed below 70mph like I had been doing.

I didn't think they were unfair pinging me for 74mph (seriously I got done for that because they were doing a zero tolerance with the mobile speed camera unit as a campaign / trial period I read). I thought fair enough I'll accept it and pay up.

One thing I did do is contact the police and speed awareness or reduction group (the ones involved in the speed campaign). I asked if they did a speed awareness course. They were evaluating them but could not offer one at that time.

So I paid my fine and got 3 points. It's been over 5 years so fully spent and no longer need to notify car insurers. Although my first new insurance didn't increase in cost in fact I reduced it by over £50 by moving to a new insurance company.

Am I the only one who thinks like this? Namely you do the crime you do the time / pay the penalty? That you don't go looking for loopholes but accept your just punishment? It's a matter of morals surely?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I had an unnerving moment on the a17 a few years ago which demonstrated a danger of speed cameras ( or more correctly the reaction of the speeder!)
There I was tootling along at just under the 60 limit, keeping an eye out for the motorcyclist I'd glimpsed in my mirror - I'm always ready to give room to 2 wheeled riders, anyway he overtook me, pulled in front (not in itself a problem) and then Slammed his brakes on as he saw the static speed camera about 30 yards ahead! There I was hanging on the brakes in order to avoid matey, who in acknowledgement raised his hand to thank me for not squashing him :roll:
Ironically in the unlikely event he'd set the thing off I suspect he wouldn't have been visible through my car. Hmm I guess there have been instances of one vehicle overtaking another just as they pass a speed camera, in which case I guess the camera won't go off if it only 'sees' the slower vehicle :?
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

Mike Sales wrote:
Banned?

36 mph is 20% above the limit.
There was an excellent advert explaining the danger of speeding.
The faster you go, the less time you have to react, the longer it takes you to stop, and the harder the impact with the body you hit.
But you should know all this, you were told so on your courses I imagine, but for you they were clearly a waste of time.
I hope that the option of a course is now closed to you.

Going over the limit is not unsafe, and speeding is not dangerous.

Driving to fast for the conditions is dangerous, whether that be over or under the speed limit.
the snail

Post by the snail »

Banned?

He wasn't going to be banned for 36 in a 30, he got three points. The ban would have been for getting 12 points, i.e. for being a persistently bad driver.
PH

Post by PH »

100%JR wrote:I've been on 3 "Speed awareness" courses and they really are a waste of a day :roll:

Certainly wasted on you. I hope next time you don't get the option and a lengthy ban. The evidence that speed kills is overwhelming, the arrogance of those who deny it or think they're somehow beyond it is appalling, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.