Tampering with locks: wet rag on it?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tampering with locks: wet rag on it?

Postby Mick F » 17 Aug 2019, 11:09am

Same here when I was commuting.

I'd leave my lock on the fence ready for the next day. I also had a big bright tally with my name and rank emblazoned on it. Everyone knew my Mercian, and everyone knew me .......... or at least on the ships I was serving in. If anyone wanted to move my bike, they could contact me easily.
Mick F. Cornwall

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Aug 2019, 6:33pm

Lock goes around my waist. The weight of the heavy hiplock chain is actually noticeable if you remember to turn the padlock part around to the side or back. If it's to the front it digs in somewhat.

A cheap cable in the bag in case I forget the key to the hiplock. The key for the cable lock always stays in the lock when carried about.

Personally I don't see that as a problem. Plus if you're shopping then surely you'll have a bag of some kind that can carry a lock.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 17 Aug 2019, 11:20pm

It's a bit odd. WD40 is a solvent (or contains solvent), glue is a solvent, so possibly it was the glue trick. Except why then the wet rag? You'd just tip the glue in and wait. But you'd have to be hanging around all the time for that to work. Possibly it was another lock-leaver with the same type of lock, who had confused your lock for theirs, key wouldn't turn so they thought it was seized and the WD40 smell was in fact WD40 (or something similar)? Anyway, sounds like your best plan would be to take the lock home!

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 17 Aug 2019, 11:26pm

The utility cyclist wrote:Stop being lazy, take your lock with you, personally I can't stand the look of racks and lamposts/railings with several locks adorned to it, especially since you know full well many don't actually get use! it's selfish as it makes life harder to lock your own bike up and it's unsightly.

+1 -"Hogging" the parking facilities in this way is hardly fair to other people who want to lock up thier bikes.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 18 Aug 2019, 9:10am

rmurphy195 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Stop being lazy, take your lock with you, personally I can't stand the look of racks and lamposts/railings with several locks adorned to it, especially since you know full well many don't actually get use! it's selfish as it makes life harder to lock your own bike up and it's unsightly.

+1 -"Hogging" the parking facilities in this way is hardly fair to other people who want to lock up thier bikes.

Plus one. It’s what I thought when I first read this thread but I wasn’t sure that the original poster would be open to such a comment and wondered how different his way of thinking and living might be from mine.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 18 Aug 2019, 9:26am

rmurphy195 wrote:+1 -"Hogging" the parking facilities in this way is hardly fair to other people who want to lock up thier bikes.

I cannot understand how a lock on a stand stops others using it. Perhaps I am thinking of a different type of stand.
Could someone explain, please?

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 18 Aug 2019, 9:29am

If I saw a lock on a stand I wanted to use I’d ignore it. I don’t register this as a way of reserving a place. As for littering and being unsightly, well maybe but in the grand scheme of things there’s much worse, I’m happy to leave a lock at my workplace but wouldn’t leave one in a public place.

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Aug 2019, 10:51am

Mike Sales wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:+1 -"Hogging" the parking facilities in this way is hardly fair to other people who want to lock up thier bikes.

I cannot understand how a lock on a stand stops others using it. Perhaps I am thinking of a different type of stand.

There is a stand where the presence of a thick lock left on it means that my lock will not fit around stand, my bike and its wheel at the height I need it to for best security. Happily, there are another 40 stands at that shop so I can still park, but never in the space nearest the door even if it's vacant. It seems rather antisocial to hog parking spaces like that, as well as an invitation to lock-busters as others suggest.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 18 Aug 2019, 1:31pm

mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

There is a stand where the presence of a thick lock left on it means that my lock will not fit around stand, my bike and its wheel at the height I need it to for best security. Happily, there are another 40 stands at that shop so I can still park, but never in the space nearest the door even if it's vacant. It seems rather antisocial to hog parking spaces like that, as well as an invitation to lock-busters as others suggest.

I still cannot imagine this shape of stand. Maybe I have not seen one, all my local stands are the Sheffield style, I think, and a lock left on this very common type would not prevent another cyclist using it.

mjr

Postby mjr » 19 Aug 2019, 12:38am

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

I still cannot imagine this shape of stand. Maybe I have not seen one, all my local stands are the Sheffield style, I think, and a lock left on this very common type would not prevent another cyclist using it.

Those are Sheffield stands. It depends on the shape of the leftover lock and the shape of the locker's lock and bike. They're expecting to use a Sheffield stand - can you really not see how an extra thickness of lock could make it more awkward to use?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 19 Aug 2019, 8:16am

TBH I can't see. A D lock would drop to the base of the stand but you lock your bike off the ground, unless you've got a stack of D locks going all the way up n the stand out course. Chains would also drop to the base of the stand.

I can see how wheelbender stands could be blocked by locks but there's less of them in this country so less of an issue / risk.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Aug 2019, 8:54am

Tangled Metal wrote:TBH I can't see. A D lock would drop to the base of the stand but you lock your bike off the ground, unless you've got a stack of D locks going all the way up n the stand out course. Chains would also drop to the base of the stand.

I can see how wheelbender stands could be blocked by locks but there's less of them in this country so less of an issue / risk.

This is my picture of the situation too.
You could say that preventing someone using a wheelbender is doing them a good turn!

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 19 Aug 2019, 9:01am

Yet in Holland and Belgium they're ubiquitous. People use them or use just their bike stands without complaint. We just leant our bikes at the end of them so the wheel was not in them. Ridiculous stand design IMHO. We have them at work so I take two up at once by putting my bike between them and leaning against them sith my pannier rack. One stand high with the other low gives a good rest to lean against for the pannier rack.

Still it's not the only issue people have with left behind locks of course. So IMHO it's still antisocial to do it on stands in public spaces apart from private employer supplied stands.

mjr

Postby mjr » 19 Aug 2019, 9:47am

Tangled Metal wrote:TBH I can't see. A D lock would drop to the base of the stand but you lock your bike off the ground, unless you've got a stack of D locks going all the way up n the stand out course. Chains would also drop to the base of the stand.

Chains left around here are typically coiled up a leg of the stand, making it wider.

Oh well, if this awful habit spreads, you'll see if eventually.
Last edited by mjr on 19 Aug 2019, 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 19 Aug 2019, 11:20am

I think it depends, amongst other things, on the size of the locker's lock and how close together the stands are. Mostly though, leaving locks on stands in public places just strikes me as a combination of wasteful and selfish. A bit like always expecting to park your car in the exact same spot.